Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 375 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #4921
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPeP View Post
I was at the Paris Airshow last saturday at Le Bourget airport ...
Bucket list
Old 06-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #4922
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 75,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
OK. v 2.0 >> Sad video. Pity more people will see this on-line, and only for the crash, than ever will, or would have, seen them perform at an airshow.

(Forget the ethereal attempt at trying to explain our collective on-line addictions are making us voyeurs and not participants).

Better? No bongs or beer were lifted in either of these posts.
Such is the nature of news reporting. The exceptional is what gets our attention. As they say, good news doesn't usually sell.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #4923
a65l
Wise guy, eh?

Oddometer: 1,200
Might be your chance to get the airplane you've always wanted at a bargin price.....

http://pilotonline.com/2013/06/va-be...ane-collection

I always wondered if he was over reaching a little bit, guess this answers the question. It's a real shame, his facility, while not the biggest, is one of the nicest I've ever been to.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #4924
KHJPHOTO
Old Man and the Road

Oddometer: 642
Target Tokyo

photo TargetTokyoSample_zps9442a105.jpg
IBA #27356
BMW Mileage Award 300,000 and adding to it

www.khjphotography.com
KHJPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #4925
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
The SU-35S appears to be the premier performer in the line-up of advanced fighters these days. Short of an F-22. But there aren't enough F-22s.
The need for helmet mounted targeting and missiles with seeker heads that can acquire targets at high angles off bore sight was on display.

Turning with one of those would be "Wildcat vs Zero 2013."

But fear not - the F35 continues to see its performance requirements reduced to meet the needs of Industry.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #4926
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,570
This one's a bit of a rarity elsewhere I imagine, but a regular here. Turbine powered Bonanza.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #4927
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,371
We looked into a turbine Bonanza for a photo ship platform. I'd have loved it, but the lack of economics, (and range) particularly at low altitude, made me not reccommend it - that's a good way to lose a job, pitch a plane to the company and then face those sorts of bills. That said a Soloy Allison-Rolls Royce C206 conversion (same engine as the Bonanza) would, to me, have to be the ultimate personal dream aircraft.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #4928
DMZ
Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer: 10,077
A great working plane

Back in the 80's I flew aerial observer flights over National Forest lands in the central Cascades Mts of WA State. I was qualified to fly observer due to my knowledge of the areas, map skills, and fire behavior knowledge.

Flights were usually conducted after, (and sometimes during) significant thunderstorm activity. Spotting and locating on a map fire starts and sometimes helping ground crews into the fire.

I flew in a variety of aircraft. There were several private pilots that bid those contracts. Mostly single engine jobs, but occasionally a twin Piper or Beech.

My absolute favorite aircraft was the Cessna 210. It was a good stable platform to circle a point on the ground for a long time, if needed. But it was also fast, when we needed to get somewhere quickly. It also did well in turbulent air conditions, which was often the case in the Cascades.

DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #4929
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,827
I dropped into a remote fishing camp last week and saw this Cessna 206 with a turbine engine and 5 blade prop. I don't know what it costs to convert piston planes to turbine, but somehow I don't think its worth the cost.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #4930
Audaciter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate View Post
I dropped into a remote fishing camp last week and saw this Cessna 206 with a turbine engine and 5 blade prop. I don't know what it costs to convert piston planes to turbine, but somehow I don't think its worth the cost.

Turbines shine up high...A 206 isn't designed to get up there.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #4931
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,371
RE: Turbine 206 on floats. Don't you have a 180 or 185 on floats? Most people agree a loaded 206 on floats is a dog. Going from 300 to 450 hp is worth it if you don't go into the trees on the other end of the lake. Huge improvement in performance. It does burn 23 gph, at least. But, its 400k or more for a full conversion, sans airframe! I am also familar with survey flights in USFS areas, and indeed the 210, usually done with a turbo 210, is a superb aircraft for that. It can carry a lot of stuff, get up high easily, can loiter for 5-6 hours and then get somewhere else reasonably quickly at 160+ knots. Pretty comfy too. Caveat: not so great on rough strips, or, uh, floats.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:21 AM   #4932
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,599
Took a ride in a powered parachute the other day....well really a while ago. That is such a hoot. I could actually fly one of those as a real lic is not needed....I can't fly anymore due to some of the meds I am on now....but it was so nice.

Been the first time I have really been around "little airplanes"...I sold mine years ago, N95265 was its tail number...it is now a rental somewhere...poor plane was never a rental up to the point I sold it.
They had some of the itty bitty Taylorcrafts there...not sure if they are real airplanes or ultralights....these things are small....and cheap....it got the old itch going again.

Some photos from our flight....reminded me of ADV biking....just out and looking at the world....it was real nice.

FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #4933
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,390
^^^ I know a guy looking to sell 2 powered parachutes; one new one lightly used. He is motivated to sell and only an hour or so from your location.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #4934
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota View Post
^^^ I know a guy looking to sell 2 powered parachutes; one new one lightly used. He is motivated to sell and only an hour or so from your location.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #4935
RomaDakota
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,390
Hold short; I will get the info and/or contact info.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: