Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 193 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 01:36 AM   #496
kfalls_rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius

Buncha dangerous/bad ideas thrown together into a very sexy plane.

Buncha creative/ingenious ideas thrown together into a fast, efficient and hell for stout aircraft.
kfalls_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:23 AM   #497
HWSNBN
Banned

Oddometer: 2,897
eh! you in the hat... fetch the pilot a brewskie !!

HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:25 AM   #498
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfalls_rider

Buncha creative/ingenious ideas thrown together into a fast, efficient and hell for stout aircraft.
I like your view better, but Ive had quite a few bickerins with a lot of our instructors.

The spoiler idea works fine, but I think ailerons wouldve done the same job and make it safer.

Add a little more effective yaw control and it probably wouldve been more popular.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:34 AM   #499
AA996
Astroglide-physicist

Oddometer: 608
Yeah, but doesn't the Mu-2 have full-span flaps? IIRC it's a pretty decent short-field airplane. And it is stout. Just...strange.

Man, that Twin Otter on floats..... I'd take that over the bikini babe. Less maintenance.
AA996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #500
airgord
What am I doing out here!

Oddometer: 844
airgord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #501
airgord
What am I doing out here!

Oddometer: 844

Me, looking down at my buddy Jorge.
airgord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #502
kfalls_rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I like your view better, but Ive had quite a few bickerins with a lot of our instructors.

The spoiler idea works fine, but I think ailerons wouldve done the same job and make it safer.

Add a little more effective yaw control and it probably wouldve been more popular.
I hope you get a chance to fly/ride a Moo 2 one day. All that information from experts can get confusing.

Here is a link for an article.
http://sleetapawang.spaces.live.com/...196D!731.entry

Fred is not a great fan of the Moo 2. His preference is the Piaggio Avanti.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #503
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,074
All horizontal stabilizers are inverted air-foils - that's their design, the MU-2 is no different. Also, many jets lock out the ailerons at speed and use spoilers for roll control.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #504
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 2,007
Quote:

Are you talking about the B-2?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #505
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfalls_rider
I hope you get a chance to fly/ride a Moo 2 one day. All that information from experts can get confusing.
Personally I like the aircraft. My instructors are pretty divided on it. Some love it and some treat it like a death trap, but those usually hold helicopters in the same regard.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #506
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Some people like the MU-2 because its fast and cheap, and (used to be) "out of control". There is now a FAA mandated training regime with specifics on how to how handle its "peculiarities" and because of this its somewhat notorius accident rate has been substantially reduced. It does have a complex (read confusing) fuel system and the 35-40 knot spread between Vrotation and Vyse would be really scary if not impossible to overcome in most situations. It is fast, 300+Kts, but a CE441 (TPE331 engines too) is as fast , flies higher, and thus burns less fuel - & has better range too. I always wondered how non-pilot owners of the MU2 or Aero Commander 690/840/1000 liked their cabin noise, the props are near mid cabin, wheras a CE441 or BE200 have theirs further forward towards the pilot where they can soak up the noise. But MU2's still go for cheap, $300,000 less, maybe even less, than, a CE441 can count for a lot, I guess.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:51 AM   #507
kfalls_rider
Gnarly Adventurer

One reason the Moo 2 is still in service (no limited a/f like the Cessna) and people keep flying them is the quality of construction. It is so well built compared to other a/c in the market. Open the door on a Moo 2 and look at the construction and do the same on a ______________ (you choose) and you will see a difference.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:55 AM   #508
VictorBravoMikeIndia
Low Altitude Flyer

Oddometer: 131
There is a write up about the training now mandated by the FAA for the MU-2 in the current issue of "Flying" ..........another a/c which requires separate training is the Robinson R22 'copter

VictorBravoMikeIndia screwed with this post 01-13-2010 at 06:02 AM
VictorBravoMikeIndia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #509
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, the MU-2 seems very stout. I don't know of any airframe related AD's on it or if it has a reputation for corrosion. The times on them, the later vintages, are about the equivilent to King Air's and 441 Conquests of the same era so it appears most people only to seem to fly this kind of airplane just so much. The 400 series have had spar issues, but it may be the 425/421/414/402 and not the 404/441. (No, I'm not selling Cessna's) Maybe Mitsubishi eventually wanted to make a jet out of the airframe. No life limits are a good thing I suppose, but over 30-40 years newer design effciencies can overcome a non-life limited airframe. Compare a Citation 500 with a Citation Jet CJ2. 50 knots faster with a 15-20% lower fuel burn. But, being in a stout airplane can be reassuring. I have experience with another Japanese plane, the NAMC YS-11. That seemed very overbuilt too. Strange how Japanese aircraft of the 60's were hardy like that, compared with a 1960's Datsun. Not saying the Datsun was a bad car, just very light.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #510
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,634
Just noticed the MU-2 has the same powerplant as the MQ-9 Reaper.

Strange world...

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: