ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 400 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #5161
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....
 
PineyMountainRacing's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: SW Florida / Western NC
Oddometer: 2,183
appreciate it F-D. I wish there was some way to know if the agent's company had actually paid the insurance company last year. I always assumed that I paid the agent, then he took out his commission and forwarded the rest of the monies to the insurance company and then the policy was issued to me. I didn't think that the insurance company would issue / renew a policy without getting paid first.

I'm off tomorrow and the airplane is getting it's pitot-static check so I'll call the agent while I'm waiting and see what he's got to say. If I decide I want to switch agents / companies, do I have to ask him to release my N number so other companies can give me quotes? I've never been clear how that works.

And now my contribution to the thread for this week: (wish the video was better)

http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=19448
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #5162
jdgretz
Looking for new places
 
jdgretz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
Oddometer: 950





Civilian F-4 undergoing restoration.



This was my baby 68-16421


Commuting to work - 1970-1971 by jdgretz, on Flickr

jdg
__________________
'07 Norge - the fast red one
'03 Honda Shadow 750 - Rocky
'99 Honda Helix - Little Zippy
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #5163
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel
 
ParrotheadJeff's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Margaritaville, UT
Oddometer: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post




Civilian F-4 undergoing restoration.



This was my baby 68-16421


Commuting to work - 1970-1971 by jdgretz, on Flickr

jdg
Is that the Phantom at Classic Wings and Rotors in SoCal? I've wondered how that's coming along

Great pics of the Hueys & thanks for your service
__________________
Just show me the way to the bar and a nomad who knows
- Jimmy Buffett
ParrotheadJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #5164
Flying-D
Just Passing Through
 
Flying-D's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO
Oddometer: 2,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
I'm off tomorrow and the airplane is getting it's pitot-static check so I'll call the agent while I'm waiting and see what he's got to say. If I decide I want to switch agents / companies, do I have to ask him to release my N number so other companies can give me quotes? I've never been clear how that works.
The direct writing companies (like Avemco) should give you a quote without any issue. If he's an independent agent and you want another agent to get quotes, your new agent should have you sign something called and "Agent of Record" letter when you fill out the application that has your hours etc..., and then all the companies that your agent used to get quotes from will be able to quote for your new agent. In theory, those numbers should all be the same regardless of agent.

Personally, I never cared for the direct writing companies. Their agents are employed by the same guys as their adjusters, and their salaries all come from the same place. On the other hand, an independent agent can act as a better advocate for you if you have a loss and there is a dispute, because he's not employed by that company, can move your business elsewhere if you aren't satisfied, and wants to keep your business (because you can fire him too).

That's just my opinion, so no dogpile please!
__________________
It's really all just stuff...and in the end, none of it means shit.
Flying-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #5165
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....
 
PineyMountainRacing's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: SW Florida / Western NC
Oddometer: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-D View Post
The direct writing companies (like Avemco) should give you a quote without any issue. If he's an independent agent and you want another agent to get quotes, your new agent should have you sign something called and "Agent of Record" letter when you fill out the application that has your hours etc..., and then all the companies that your agent used to get quotes from will be able to quote for your new agent. In theory, those numbers should all be the same regardless of agent.

Personally, I never cared for the direct writing companies. Their agents are employed by the same guys as their adjusters, and their salaries all come from the same place. On the other hand, an independent agent can act as a better advocate for you if you have a loss and there is a dispute, because he's not employed by that company, can move your business elsewhere if you aren't satisfied, and wants to keep your business (because you can fire him too).

That's just my opinion, so no dogpile please!
OK, thanks a lot! Kinda what I thought. I think AVEMCO was my insurance company when I started flying in the early 90's and had my P model 182. My agent there was actually the same guy, I followed him to where he is now. When I had the Aztec I was always worried about insurance quotes so I stayed with him, he always seemed to find me pretty reasonable stuff. Now that I'm flying a newer 182 I was thinking I'd shop around a little. I still have to sort out the mess from last year though.

If you're in Cape G, do you know a Dr Jedlinski or his wife, Dr Aydt? I think they are still physicians in private practice there since 1988 or so. Just askin', it used to be a small town. Probably not so much anymore.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #5166
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer
 
mfp4073's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Florida
Oddometer: 2,349



space x doing some cool testing. That "rocket" is as tall as a ten story building from what the description says.
__________________
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #5167
Daniii
geezer
 
Daniii's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Plano Tx
Oddometer: 23,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post



space x doing some cool testing. That "rocket" is as tall as a ten story building from what the description says.


Holy Crap!
__________________
"Soccer is a game that was invented by French women to pass the time while their husbands were cooking." - Hank Hill, American
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #5168
jdgretz
Looking for new places
 
jdgretz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotheadJeff View Post
Is that the Phantom at Classic Wings and Rotors in SoCal? I've wondered how that's coming along

Great pics of the Hueys & thanks for your service
Yep, that's the one, and you're welcome, it was my honor.

jdg
__________________
'07 Norge - the fast red one
'03 Honda Shadow 750 - Rocky
'99 Honda Helix - Little Zippy
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #5169
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"
 
dirtypumpkin's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Northern California
Oddometer: 13,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post



space x doing some cool testing. That "rocket" is as tall as a ten story building from what the description says.
Better view, posted last month:

http://youtu.be/eGimzB5QM1M

__________________
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway.
Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes. - Old Honda Manual
--
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:11 AM   #5170
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,892
That's remarkable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypumpkin View Post
Better view, posted last month:

http://youtu.be/eGimzB5QM1M

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #5171
Flying-D
Just Passing Through
 
Flying-D's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO
Oddometer: 2,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
If you're in Cape G, do you know a Dr Jedlinski or his wife, Dr Aydt? I think they are still physicians in private practice there since 1988 or so. Just askin', it used to be a small town. Probably not so much anymore.
I would guess that we have about 50,000 people in the area these days. Much larger than when I lived here the first time (in the mid-80's), but still a bit small for my tastes.

I'm not familiar with them, but there is a Dr. Jedinski listed here. I am forced to avoid physicians, however.
That flight physical is necessary for my job,, and it seems the the slightest glitch can send controllers into the unemployment line. It's a f'd up system when sleep difficulties, short-term emotional issues, and run-of-the-mil and common physical ailments have to go ignored/untreated so as to maintain one's job, but I have seen too many guys lose their medical over things that would go completely unnoticed outside the aviation profession...

Uh...sorry...did I get off the subject???:

Good luck with insurance thing. We still may find someone more knowledgeable to chime in...
__________________
It's really all just stuff...and in the end, none of it means shit.
Flying-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #5172
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....
 
PineyMountainRacing's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: SW Florida / Western NC
Oddometer: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-D View Post
I would guess that we have about 50,000 people in the area these days. Much larger than when I lived here the first time (in the mid-80's), but still a bit small for my tastes.

I'm not familiar with them, but there is a Dr. Jedinski listed here. I am forced to avoid physicians, however.
That flight physical is necessary for my job,, and it seems the the slightest glitch can send controllers into the unemployment line. It's a f'd up system when sleep difficulties, short-term emotional issues, and run-of-the-mil and common physical ailments have to go ignored/untreated so as to maintain one's job, but I have seen too many guys lose their medical over things that would go completely unnoticed outside the aviation profession...

Uh...sorry...did I get off the subject???:

Good luck with insurance thing. We still may find someone more knowledgeable to chime in...
You work a tower or ARTCC? I'm a Senior AME and am working on getting a contract to do ATC exams. I do a few controllers that are in private towers or overseas. There isn't anybody local doing them right now. I agree the area of anti-depressants and hypnotics can be a land mine for anybody who's livelihood depends on their medical. I think a lot of people would be better off and better at their jobs if we could treat the problem rather than sweep it under the rug. Other than "psychiatric" issues (for lack of a better term) we do pretty good down here getting guys certified. The Special Issuance process is getting better for pilots every day, and we are certifying guys that 20 years ago didn't stand a chance.

Anyway, thanks a ton for the info. If you ever have FAA / medical questions or want to bounce something off me, feel free to post up, PM or email.

Craig / PMR
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #5173
koncha
.
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypumpkin View Post
Better view, posted last month:
I think that one was straight up and straight back. The new one shows lateral mobility.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #5174
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 76,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypumpkin View Post
Better view, posted last month:
Fantastic video, but actually a different test. That one was straight up and down. This week's test moved the rocket off center, then back on center to land in the same spot.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #5175
Kav
Not a Ninja
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: New Bern, NC
Oddometer: 539
A video of loading my ride for the weekend:

CLICK ME!

And a photo of her all ready to go:
__________________
www.kavanaughmp.smugmug.com
Kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014