ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 254 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #5266
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe
 
Hay Ewe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: FNQ - AUS
Oddometer: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post

new paint job finally able to unveil:


wow!
__________________
Moments before you die, your life will flash before your eyes - make sure the film is worth watching - my Grandad
I like your logic - its alternative - Ninja Wranga 03-Aug-13
WWBD? -
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #5267
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy
 
Bigger Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Auburn, CA
Oddometer: 7,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
(i have had no internet access for a few days)

Precious Metal made her cross country run and arrived in Reno Yesterday

New paint job finally able to unveil:



we have had some technical difficulties along the way such that the race motor and fuel injection were not able to be up and running. A new engine was put together and installed in about 48 hours. Heading out to meet up with the rest of the team in the morning! Next stop reno!!!!


I WANNA GO FAST!

Follow the races here:

http://www.liveairshowtv.com/


I went up there yesterday hoping to see PM arrive, but had to leave before she touched down. The new paint is fantastic!
Nice job on the emergency engine swap, too. You guys really deserve some huge credit for even making the vent at all.

I'll come by Saturday and say hi.
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."

Steve McQueen




Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #5268
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer
 
mfp4073's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Florida
Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
I went up there yesterday hoping to see PM arrive, but had to leave before she touched down. The new paint is fantastic!
Nice job on the emergency engine swap, too. You guys really deserve some huge credit for even making the vent at all.

I'll come by Saturday and say hi.
My real name is chad, so just ask for me! Its been a real challenging several weeks. We are not running our A game, but think we will still have some feathers to ruffle. The new shirts have some really cool logos too!

Just found these 2 promo spots for the races this year, 2 pt and each about 5 minutes long

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6WtvXtNtI0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQdxoEy8HVE


__________________
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. Thatís the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #5269
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy
 
Bigger Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Auburn, CA
Oddometer: 7,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
My real name is chad, so just ask for me! Its been a real challenging several weeks. We are not running our A game, but think we will still have some feathers to ruffle. The new shirts have some really cool logos too!

Just found these 2 promo spots for the races this year, 2 pt and each about 5 minutes long

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6WtvXtNtI0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQdxoEy8HVE


"A" game or not, you guys have really pulled off an incredible feat just to be on the ramp.

There will be a couple of PM shirts coming home this year. Stickers, too, if you guys have them.

____________

Good luck in quals, and have a great time up there! It's gonna be tough for anyone to catch Steven, but Hoot sure did give 'em sumptin' to think about, didn't he!! I think that Stu and the boys have something up their collective sleeve, and they're going to wait until the last possible lap to see if they can one-up Voodoo.
Sunday is going to be an epic show if everyone holds together.
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."

Steve McQueen




Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #5270
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer
 
mfp4073's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Florida
Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
"A" game or not, you guys have really pulled off an incredible feat just to be on the ramp.

There will be a couple of PM shirts coming home this year. Stickers, too, if you guys have them.

____________

Good luck in quals, and have a great time up there! It's gonna be tough for anyone to catch Steven, but Hoot sure did give 'em sumptin' to think about, didn't he!! I think that Stu and the boys have something up their collective sleeve, and they're going to wait until the last possible lap to see if they can one-up Voodoo.
Sunday is going to be an epic show if everyone holds together.
thanks for the support, we have all worked very hard to get her there....really it became more of an effort not even so much for us but for the fans. Too many people would have been let down if we didnt make it happen! It really is an honor to work and be part of the group that is the PM team. Its not very often that the stress and pressure is reduced once you GET to the race forum!
__________________
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. Thatís the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #5271
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy
 
Bigger Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Auburn, CA
Oddometer: 7,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
thanks for the support, we have all worked very hard to get her there....really it became more of an effort not even so much for us but for the fans. Too many people would have been let down if we didnt make it happen! It really is an honor to work and be part of the group that is the PM team. Its not very often that the stress and pressure is reduced once you GET to the race forum!

I don't know how much you've followed air racing in your time, but usually it involves a lot of "secret squirrel" type stuff that is designed to keep any info from competitors, but mostly just leaves the fans out in the cold. Thom's approach to being open and welcoming to any and all is such a breath of fresh air in a sport that desperately needs it. This will be my 43rd Reno, and I really thought that the tragedy of 2011 was the end. The Old Boys' Network that's existed in the sport since the beginning really didn't have a clue as to how to keep the event alive, and to simultaneously draw in new fans. The PM program is, in my mind, THE model of what the new paradigm should be, especially in the Unlimited division. I'm a fan of all the racing, but the Unlimiteds make the turnstiles spin on Sunday, and the openness of PM's crew is something to be admired.

You're about to get some first-hand experience with the adage that goes: "99% down, 99% to go." A nice, mid 450's qualification will give you a good position to take advantage of anyone who pushes too hard and pops a motor. More than a few Gold Finals have been won by being smart and laying in the weeds until Sunday. Thom knows this......
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."

Steve McQueen




Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #5272
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer
 
mfp4073's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Florida
Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
I don't know how much you've followed air racing in your time, but usually it involves a lot of "secret squirrel" type stuff that is designed to keep any info from competitors, but mostly just leaves the fans out in the cold. Thom's approach to being open and welcoming to any and all is such a breath of fresh air in a sport that desperately needs it. This will be my 43rd Reno, and I really thought that the tragedy of 2011 was the end. The Old Boys' Network that's existed in the sport since the beginning really didn't have a clue as to how to keep the event alive, and to simultaneously draw in new fans. The PM program is, in my mind, THE model of what the new paradigm should be, especially in the Unlimited division. I'm a fan of all the racing, but the Unlimiteds make the turnstiles spin on Sunday, and the openness of PM's crew is something to be admired.

You're about to get some first-hand experience with the adage that goes: "99% down, 99% to go." A nice, mid 450's qualification will give you a good position to take advantage of anyone who pushes too hard and pops a motor. More than a few Gold Finals have been won by being smart and laying in the weeds until Sunday. Thom knows this......
Pretty new to it. My past exposure was "awesome planes going fast in the desert....cool". The team has been great to work with..... a real pleasure to work around I should say. Open and welcoming of a newb like me! Feel very lucky to have the chance to do something like this....its a less than once in a lifetime opportunity.
__________________
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. Thatís the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #5273
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer
 
mfp4073's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Florida
Oddometer: 2,071
And here we are in RENO!











Precious Metal Qualified 6th (t richard #38). Not bad considering less than a week ago we didnt have a running aircraft!


The one and only Bob Hoover!!!


Sea Furies, Bearcat, Tiger Cat, Hellcat, Spitfire, Japanese Zero, Mustangs Galore, F100 Super Saber, the list goes on and on. The stock rare military aircraft here are impressive!

Lets see if we cant pull a few more tricks out of our sleeves and move up a few spots in the next few days with some tweaking of the airplane!
__________________
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. Thatís the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:58 AM   #5274
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....
 
PineyMountainRacing's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: SW Florida / Western NC
Oddometer: 1,907
Good luck out there. I bet Reno is a hoot! I saw Bob Hoover fly once and have a DVD of him flying his Shrike. What a pilot. IIRC the film shows him flying the Shrike with one engine out, holding a cigarette in one hand and flying with the other. And talking to the microphone the whole time. I wish I knew the politics of what happened when the FAA took away his medical.
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #5275
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy
 
Bigger Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Auburn, CA
Oddometer: 7,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
And here we are in RENO!











Precious Metal Qualified 6th (t richard #38). Not bad considering less than a week ago we didnt have a running aircraft!


The one and only Bob Hoover!!!


Sea Furies, Bearcat, Tiger Cat, Hellcat, Spitfire, Japanese Zero, Mustangs Galore, F100 Super Saber, the list goes on and on. The stock rare military aircraft here are impressive!

Lets see if we cant pull a few more tricks out of our sleeves and move up a few spots in the next few days with some tweaking of the airplane!

Incredible job all the way around for PM and her crew!! Not a bad spot, considering that you're racing on a ferry engine.

I hope that you had the chance to sit down with Mr. Hoover to chat a bit. He is a national treasure. I remember as a kid being hoisted up onto the wing of his Mustang after the Unlimited Gold finals, and I sat there next to him for a few minutes while he signed autographs. He always has a smile on his face, and a kind word for the fans.
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."

Steve McQueen




Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #5276
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer
 
mfp4073's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Florida
Oddometer: 2,071
He actually came into the restaurant we were at and sat down next to us. Bought his dinner for him and got the pic when he came over to say thank you. Very nice guy. And true, national treasure.
__________________
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. Thatís the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #5277
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 72,891
A 60 mph gap between first and sixth is massive. Big spread in the speeds. Will that tighten up?
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #5278
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe
 
Hay Ewe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: FNQ - AUS
Oddometer: 2,481
Precious metal
Please an you tell me your website, my search fu is weak

AWESOME JOB - great paint scheme too
woudl ike to get some decals and maybe other merchandise

thanks
Hay Ewe
__________________
Moments before you die, your life will flash before your eyes - make sure the film is worth watching - my Grandad
I like your logic - its alternative - Ninja Wranga 03-Aug-13
WWBD? -
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #5279
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer
 
mfp4073's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Florida
Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
A 60 mph gap between first and sixth is massive. Big spread in the speeds. Will that tighten up?
There are a lot of unknowns. Rare bear is down on power, still looking into it. Strega lost their canopy, still trying to rebuild it. We think we have 20 more mph in us. Made some tuning mods today and will be testing shortly.
__________________
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. Thatís the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #5280
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,308
Got word from one of the instructors at my A&P school that the Beech 18 we have that used to belong to Jackie Cochran is going to be in a Discovery Channel special this fall where the complete restoration of it is going to be recorded, it will be returned to the colors it had when she owned it and the interior with be mostly original, but it'll have surround sound and DVD player screens for each seated person so they can watch a ~20min video about Cochran, her life and achievements. It'll then be toured around the nation at airshows as a history exhibition.



__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014