ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 397 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #5431
Audaciter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Audaciter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 5,693
I have a bunch of pictures from the non-display warehouses of the Army Aviation Museum.



I should dig those up when I get home.
Audaciter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #5432
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer
 
mfp4073's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Florida
Oddometer: 2,344
To hold you over until the next reno races

__________________
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #5433
Audaciter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Audaciter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 5,693
It turns out I didn't tale as many pics as I thought, but here is what I have:

Forgive the shit quality. They were taken with my phone in between work.




























It's a shame I didn't take more pictures. There was some really cool stuff in there. Two Commanches, old presidential helicopters, the prototype Cobra (most of these I got to sit in as well).

Damn shame.
Audaciter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #5434
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #5435
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319


This is adorable, I want it.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #5436
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer
 
Beemer Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown WV
Oddometer: 2,567
Saw this at the Hot Springs, AR (KHOT) yesterday on my way back from the AOPA Aviation Summit in Ft. Worth. Didn't talk to the pilot, he was on the phone and we made a quick turn. Small but looked to scale.

__________________
Bad decisions make great stories!

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #5437
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer
 
mfp4073's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Florida
Oddometer: 2,344
aircobra down

http://www.newswest9.com/story/23671...rgency-landing

KWES NewsWest 9 / Midland, Odessa, Big Spring, TX: newswest9.com |

Staff Report
NewsWest 9

MIDLAND - A CAF plane had to make an emergency landing in Midland County Friday afternoon.

D-P-S officials tell NewsWest 9 that they received a call on an emergency landing involving a P63 King Cobra aircraft. It was running low on fuel and had to land.

The pilot landed At Sky West Airport in Southern Midland county.

The aircraft left San Marcos, Texas just after noon Friday headed to the CAF Air Show.
The emergency landing was successful with no injuries and only one occupant. The pilot said that his fuel selector became inoperable.

No one was hurt.




In related news, those of you in TX going to the CAF airshow at midland, Thom and Precious Metal will be there!
__________________
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #5438
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer
 
mfp4073's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Central Florida
Oddometer: 2,344
http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-...ime-month.html

The remaining Doolittle Raiders will gather in Dayton, Ohio, for a final time next month.



The revered World War II heroes will lift their goblets, sip their 117-year-old cognac and say good-bye to a decades-old tradition of gathering with their comrades to reflect on their contribution to American history. “It’s bittersweet,” said Wes Fields, who lives in Destin and has served as the Raiders’ security guard and escort for decades.

He will attend the toast at the National Museum of the Air Force on Nov. 9. “You want to be involved in it, but in a sense you don’t because you dread it. It’s coming to an end,” Fields said. On April 18, 1942, 80 men led by Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle took off in B-25s from an aircraft carrier to bomb Japan. It was the first retaliation after Pearl Harbor, and while the physical damage to Japan was minimal the raid was a tremendous boost for morale back home. Nearly every year since the raid, the men had gathering for a reunion —the last of which was held in Fort Walton Beach earlier this year. As part of the tradition, they hold a toast before a set of 80 goblets engraved with each Raider’s name. After the toast, they overturn the goblet of any Raider who passed on that year.

Three of the remaining four Raiders — 98-year-old Lt. Col. Dick Cole, 93-year-old Lt. Col. Ed Saylor and 92-year-old Staff Sgt. David Thatcher — will attend their final toast. They will open the famed bottle of Hennessy Very Special cognac from 1896, the year Jimmy Doolittle was born.

Lt. Col. Robert Hite, 93, likely will not attend because of his health. Only about 1,000 people have been invited. Fields, Ted Corcoran and Lyn Dominique will be among them. “It’s kind of like getting to go backstage with the Rolling Stones,” Corcoran, president and CEO of the Greater Fort Walton Beach Chamber of Commerce, said as he sat in his office adorned with Doolittle memorabilia.

He’s organized hundreds of events in his career, but his work on two local Raider visits were his favorite, he said. Lynn Dominique of Shalimar also will be on hand. He has been a Doolittle Raider escort for years, including one time when he hopped over a barrier to push the wheelchair of a Raider who was getting left behind the group. They’ve become like family, sharing stories and plenty of jokes, he said.

“Getting to know these men has been one of the highlights of my life,” he said.

Source and read more: www.nwfdailynews.com

__________________
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #5439
Flying-D
Just Passing Through
 
Flying-D's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO
Oddometer: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post



The aircraft left San Marcos, Texas just after noon Friday headed to the CAF Air Show.
The emergency landing was successful with no injuries and only one occupant. The pilot said that his fuel selector became inoperable.
...of course he did...
__________________
It's really all just stuff...and in the end, none of it means shit.
Flying-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #5440
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer
 
PunkinHead's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Land of Walmart Shoppers
Oddometer: 5,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
aircobra down

http://www.newswest9.com/story/23671...rgency-landing

KWES NewsWest 9 / Midland, Odessa, Big Spring, TX: newswest9.com |

Staff Report
NewsWest 9

MIDLAND - A CAF plane had to make an emergency landing in Midland County Friday afternoon.

D-P-S officials tell NewsWest 9 that they received a call on an emergency landing involving a P63 King Cobra aircraft. It was running low on fuel and had to land.

The pilot landed At Sky West Airport in Southern Midland county.

The aircraft left San Marcos, Texas just after noon Friday headed to the CAF Air Show.
The emergency landing was successful with no injuries and only one occupant. The pilot said that his fuel selector became inoperable.

No one was hurt.




In related news, those of you in TX going to the CAF airshow at midland, Thom and Precious Metal will be there!
I didn't know what a P63 Cobra was so assumed it was like other taildragger warbirds designed to use shitty runways and wondered why he didn't put the gear down. Then I did a Google Images search and saw the spindly nose gear. I'm assuming it's folded under the belly. But even as spindly as that nosegear looks, that field doesn't look soft so I'm wondering why it didn't hold up. He's lucky it didn't end up on it's back. Speaking from experience, it's a lousy feeling when you're almost done sliding then in slow motion with plenty of time to use a few choice expletives the plane goes over.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #5441
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer
 
Andyinhilo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
I didn't know what a P63 Cobra was so assumed it was like other taildragger warbirds designed to use shitty runways and wondered why he didn't put the gear down. Then I did a Google Images search and saw the spindly nose gear. I'm assuming it's folded under the belly. But even as spindly as that nosegear looks, that field doesn't look soft so I'm wondering why it didn't hold up. He's lucky it didn't end up on it's back. Speaking from experience, it's a lousy feeling when you're almost done sliding then in slow motion with plenty of time to use a few choice expletives the plane goes over.
Looking at the pictures and video, it looks like he may have made a belly landing. There is no sign of gear doors or damage to the nose of the aircraft. Although the nose gear is rather spindly looking the same gear on the P-39 Airacobra, that the P-63 was derived from, survived operations on some pretty primitive airstrips in the SWPOA during the early parts of WWII.
__________________
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #5442
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3,437
In WWII the Russians loved the P39 - and its not like they had the best airfield conditions either.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #5443
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer
 
No False Enthusiasm's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Small Town, Texas
Oddometer: 4,400
Looks like he set it down with the tricycle gear up.

I've landed and taken off from Skywest... its a reasonably good grass field, particularly if no rain has fallen in the past few days.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #5444
Flying-D
Just Passing Through
 
Flying-D's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO
Oddometer: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
Looks like he set it down with the tricycle gear up.

I've landed and taken off from Skywest... its a reasonably good grass field, particularly if no rain has fallen in the past few days.

NFE
Maybe no power so no way to extend the (hydraulic?) gear?? At least not without more time or altitude?
__________________
It's really all just stuff...and in the end, none of it means shit.
Flying-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #5445
Flying-D
Just Passing Through
 
Flying-D's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO
Oddometer: 2,575
...here's the Emergency Gear Extension procedure. Sounds like a wobble pump set-up...

Amazing, the things you can find on the web...

http://books.google.com/books?id=sSN...ension&f=false
__________________
It's really all just stuff...and in the end, none of it means shit.
Flying-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014