Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 254 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #5566
markk9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
What's the story behind that?
It happened during the original operation Desert Storm. My wingman and I were sent to track down and intermittent radar contact by the AWACS. AWACS suspected a helicopter was flying low and slow trying to avoid detection. While my wingman covered me high at around 10K feet, I went down low for a visual confirm and intercept if possible. While down low searching I saw a tower and went right, missing the tower, but clipped a support steel cable. The tower was not marked on any of the charts we had access to. Made for an exciting ride to the closest runway with enough length to make a landing. Flight back was uneventful. Landing was a bit hair raising, the left main gear would not come down, made a 2 wheel landing and kept the left wing up as long as I could, skidded about 300 yards to a stop, popped the canopy open, jumped and ran as fast as I could towards the crash crew.
markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:24 AM   #5567
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk9 View Post
It happened during the original operation Desert Storm. My wingman and I were sent to track down and intermittent radar contact by the AWACS. AWACS suspected a helicopter was flying low and slow trying to avoid detection. While my wingman covered me high at around 10K feet, I went down low for a visual confirm and intercept if possible. While down low searching I saw a tower and went right, missing the tower, but clipped a support steel cable. The tower was not marked on any of the charts we had access to. Made for an exciting ride to the closest runway with enough length to make a landing. Flight back was uneventful. Landing was a bit hair raising, the left main gear would not come down, made a 2 wheel landing and kept the left wing up as long as I could, skidded about 300 yards to a stop, popped the canopy open, jumped and ran as fast as I could towards the crash crew.

Amazing! Good story. The left engine kept running? I imagine some debris went through it.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #5568
markk9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Amazing! Good story. The left engine kept running? I imagine some debris went through it.
The left engine was still turning and putting out power. Even after sliding in the sand and ingesting tons of sand, both engines were still running. I had to power them off before leaving the cockpit.
markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #5569
KHJPHOTO
Old Man and the Road

Oddometer: 641
The red baron

IBA #27356
BMW Mileage Award 300,000 and adding to it

www.khjphotography.com
KHJPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #5570
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Thought some might appreciate reading the obit of MG Fredrick (Boots) Blesse, one of the first jet aces:

http://apps.westpointaog.org/Memorials/Article/15183/

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #5571
scurfer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:

This bird brought me back home.
Why were the tail markings removed?

edit, thought something smelled with your story.

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/ope...it#post4639806

Markk9, you have the worse luck..

scurfer screwed with this post 11-09-2013 at 03:08 PM
scurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #5572
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfer View Post
Why were the tail markings removed?

edit, thought something smelled with your story.

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/ope...it#post4639806

Markk9, you have the worse luck..
Funny, some one else thought / thinks some thing is up.
I clicked on the link but it needs a log in.

Look, at the moment I got no reason to doubt your story, but that is a 'big aircraft' hanger e.g. 737 / 767 etc (above the doors there is another roller door for the fin)

That grey aircraft is the only aircraft in view, during the first Gulf War there were hundreds of aircraft in the gulf area. Surly there would be more aircraft in a hangar that size.

As well, for a time during HUGE amount of air operations during Gulf War 1, that floor is very clean.

If the Left Main Gear did not extend as stated in the write up, then the left wing would have dragged on the ground then I would expect to see damage to the wing leading edge and underside. Usually aircraft that have an asymmetric gear situation don't slide down the runway in s straight line, usually end up in the grass / dirt / gravel on the side.

those are just my observations, I wouldn't have said anything but some one else noticed something that wasn't right and so that made me ask question as well

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #5573
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,312
I also was thinking that it does look more like a taxiing accident than a wheel-up landing.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #5574
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,767
What's written on the chock?

235 MTS???

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #5575
scurfer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamoto View Post
What's written on the chock?

235 MTS???
It's the 325th USAF maintaince group at Tyndall airforce base in FL.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #5576
Audaciter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfer View Post
It's the 325th USAF maintaince group at Tyndall airforce base in FL.
What's your link say?

I registered, but for some reason don't have access to that thread.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #5577
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,154
More Sherlocking, neither yay or nay.....

They have big hangars in Saudi.
If the 325th were there they probably brought their own chocks.
To work on the plane perhaps they extended and pinned the gear post semi-crash landing.
Hitting a guy wire with any airplane at just about any speed is akin to a wide open chain saw going through a stick of room temperature butter. Maybe here it snapped the wire. Maybe.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #5578
scurfer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audaciter View Post
What's your link say?

rkk9
World 500 GP Racer

The linke is from Sportbike.net and in the years I've then there a search shows Markk9 (retired Eagle driver Long Live the Eagle) has had many brushes with death including crazy LEO's in pickups to kamakazi bicyclists taking him down on top of the TWO F15's he lost in DS. I have to remember it is the internet.

Gameroom cash: $22539
Sportbike: 2011 Night Rod Special, 2009 Kawi Versys

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had two close calls with the grim reaper. 1st, during desert storm, my aircraft got hit by a MANPAD while doing a close air support mission. 2nd, while working as LEO on a drug bust, I was stabbed with a knife with a 5" blade, 2 times in the left side of my abdomen and 1 once in the left chest. Being stabbed was a surreal experience, it really didn't hurt, left like I had the wind knocked out of me, then I passed out, came to a few hours later after surgery. I'm lucky to be alive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Markk9; 11-09-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #5579
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audaciter View Post
What's your link say?

It's their "Jo Momma" type section. After you register you have to wait until a mod opens your account, kinda like our JM and FM, before you can even see it. After you register you can see the other threads, but probably not post.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #5580
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

Oddometer: 1,181
Quote:

This bird brought me back home.
Quote:
So, I didn't recall seeing this pic and I consider myself to be a bit of a military aviation fan. I did a bit of searching around and found what looks to be a decent source which listed aircraft lost and or damaged in the original Operation Desert storm.
http://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/other/losses.html

Here are all the F-15s lost or damaged during that conflict that I could find:

Quote:
30/09/90 F-15E 87-0203/SJ Pilot - Maj. Peter S. Hook - KIA
WSO - Cpt. James P. Poulet - KIA 335th TFS/4th TFW Aircrew was flying a single-ship training mission at maximum gross weight. Prior to deployment, the pilot had an exchange tour with an RAF unit in Scotland. Co-incidentally, the two units were now based together, which allowed the pilot to conduct an intercept with an RAF friend who was also flying on a training mission in the local area. The F-15E pilot had decided to “play” air-to-air against the RAF Jaguar, despite strict orders against making air intercepts. The Jaguar was flying at 100 feet above the ground and the F-15E at 10,000 to 15,000. The pilot attempted to perform a stern conversion with the Jaguar. The tail of the aircraft scrapped the ground three hundred feet before the final impact destroyed the aircraft and killed the aircrew
Quote:
18/01/91 F-15E 88-1689/SJ Callsign "T-Bird 56"
Pilot - Maj. Thomas F. "Teek" Koritz - KIA
WSO - Maj. Donnie R. "Chief Dimpled Balls" Holland - KIA 335th TFS/4th TFW 16nm SW of Basra AAA
Quote:
20/01/91 F-15E 88-1692/SJ Callsign "Corvette 03"
Pilot Col. David W. Eberly - POW
Navigator Maj. Thomas E. Griffith - POW 4th TFW Al Qiam SA-2 Story
Quote:
22/01/91 F-15C 83-0026/FF 71st TFS/1st TFW "Home Station" sitting in the F-15 alert area when damaged by fragments from an intercepted Scud missile
Quote:
13/02/91 F-15C 514, ex 80-0074 Callsign "Tiger 53"
Pilot - KIA 6th Sqn. RSAF 25m SE of Khamis Mushait crashed
The info provided with and about the pic doesn't seem to fit anything I can find. I'll go do a bit more research...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: