User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 375 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #6586
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,784
C-5B Galaxy vs. C-5M Super Galaxy takeoff roll...

Wow. Just....wow. If you know this plane, you know this is some impressive stuff.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #6587
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,784
And for you Herk fans, here's a rare one...roman nose with a side-load door! Note the troop seats on the door.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #6588
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,375
In another life I wish I could have flown the C130. I am a bit of a turbo-prop harlot, and a bush pilot type, so that would be the ultimate.

But picture is really great, thanks. Its not so much about the plane, although it is interesting to see a series 1.

Its the whole 50's Americana ambiance. The older guy with the hat, hats were it back then. The style of dress, the guy holding the newborn (IE the future), and the four boys (or 3 boys and a young teen) on the left of the plane looking at the (funky) helicopters. I am sure they were fascinated and maybe it had some lasting effect on them - it would have with me.

Not to rag, but I don't think you'd get quite that level of interest with people these days.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #6589
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
Man, that sucks. Working airshows cures you of getting lax about checking NOTAMS. The ones I work are at untowered fields and we always have someone monitoring CTAF while the airboss is on a separate frequency with the performers. We've had at least one person wander into the area at each show. We've always been able to turn them without having to tell the performer to knock it off. Like you said, the FAA is always on the field at these events. The old timer FAA guys might cut the errant pilot a break but the young guns seem to have a real chip on their shoulders.

Yeah we monitor the tower freq, then the CTAF after the tower closes for just that reason too. If he had been on the right frequency, we could have saved him. Another mistake on his part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Like they did to Bob Hoover. Assholes.

Oh, the FSDO rep was an old-timer, but how do you cut a break to a guy who busts a TFR, then lands on a runway with nine aircraft on it in front of dozens of people filming and taking pictures with the intention of promoting the upcoming show??? Shit! I couldn't get the paperwork in fast enough for fear that it would hit Youtube before I finished.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #6590
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 23,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
In another life I wish I could have flown the C130. I am a bit of a turbo-prop harlot, and a bush pilot type, so that would be the ultimate.

But picture is really great, thanks. Its not so much about the plane, although it is interesting to see a series 1.

Its the whole 50's Americana ambiance. The older guy with the hat, hats were it back then. The style of dress, the guy holding the newborn (IE the future), and the four boys (or 3 boys and a young teen) on the left of the plane looking at the (funky) helicopters. I am sure they were fascinated and maybe it had some lasting effect on them - it would have with me.

Not to rag, but I don't think you'd get quite that level of interest with people these days.
My USAF Career was spent in C-130's. E-Model Trash Haulers and A Model AC-130's. IT's a great airplane, and still being manufactured today, 60 years later.
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #6591
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniii View Post
My USAF Career was spent in C-130's. E-Model Trash Haulers and A Model AC-130's. IT's a great airplane, and still being manufactured today, 60 years later.
My time was in "A" models with 3 bladed props. We envied you guys with your heat and reduced noise levels......

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #6592
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 23,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Bob View Post
My time was in "A" models with 3 bladed props. We envied you guys with your heat and reduced noise levels......
The AC-130A had the three bladed props. Imagine sitting in the open crew entrance door operating a Night Optical Device, at 10,000 ft.
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #6593
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,534
Poorly shot photos from "Warbirds at the Beach" from yesterday. Missed the low passes by the Mosquito and ME 262. Too busy watching.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/242488...7644746991674/
Old 05-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #6594
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 75,920
Quote:
Why is it you believe that? The airshows I've attended have been very popular.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #6595
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

I wonder if people see the potential and the wonder in flight that they used to. Perhaps there are other technological distractions now, or the novelty has worn off. The fifties, in particular, was an era of unprecedented progress and change in aviation and that may have piqued interest in a way that would be hard to replicate these days.

But maybe I am wrong. Bitter. Jaded. Misanthropic. Dumb.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #6596
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 2,048
Here's a link to some WWII vintage pictures of Little Boy and Fat Man including prep and loading.

http://www.alternatewars.com/Bomb_Lo...Bomb_Guide.htm
Old 05-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #6597
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,852
Neat Stuff!

Thanks. History for sure.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #6598
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
I have no idea what the plane is called, but the sell rides in it, so I will just have to have a go.

Steerman if I'm not wrong. how much for a ride. closest place to fly like that is in a much newer plane, a steerman flight would definitely be fun.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #6599
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,551
Quote:
I wonder if people see the potential and the wonder in flight that they used to. Perhaps there are other technological distractions now, or the novelty has worn off. The fifties, in particular, was an era of unprecedented progress and change in aviation and that may have piqued interest in a way that would be hard to replicate these days.

But maybe I am wrong. Bitter. Jaded. Misanthropic. Dumb.
Sun n Fun had record crowds this year. Many new innovations in aviation and people are interested.

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #6600
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Good to hear that. Maybe it's because I'm in California and I mostly don't get that vibe. A lot of aviation shows/gatherings here are a sales event for the nouveau riche.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: