ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 254 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #931
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Bob
I thought Boeing did a beautiful job with the B47. I got to work on the last of the B47's at Lockbourne AFB in the early 60's. Beautiful bomber IMO, besides Jimmy Stewart flew one....



Bob

I have an uncle that flew them.

When they were decomissioned he flew "the city of Altus" into Altus AFB then they towed it into town to a local park where it sits today.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #932
Heyload
Remastered Classic
 
Heyload's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
I have an uncle that flew them.

When they were decomissioned he flew "the city of Altus" into Altus AFB then they towed it into town to a local park where it sits today.
Yep, seen that very plane many, many times.
Heyload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #933
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload
Yep, seen that very plane many, many times.
I think it'd be nice to have a small air museum at or near the AFB.

They've been getting some new money coming in, maybe it'll happen.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #934
Heyload
Remastered Classic
 
Heyload's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
I think it'd be nice to have a small air museum at or near the AFB.

They've been getting some new money coming in, maybe it'll happen.
Don't see that happening, but they did move a C-141 and a KC-135 over to the parade ground as a static display. And they have a C-47 and a C-45 on display as well. Not sure what the future holds for Altus. The word is that if the AF get's the new tanker, Altus will be the training base for it.
Sure wish they'd move the C-5 schoolhouse back up there, but that ain't happening, either.
Heyload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #935
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload
Don't see that happening, but they did move a C-141 and a KC-135 over to the parade ground as a static display. And they have a C-47 and a C-45 on display as well. Not sure what the future holds for Altus. The word is that if the AF get's the new tanker, Altus will be the training base for it.
Sure wish they'd move the C-5 schoolhouse back up there, but that ain't happening, either.
Yeah.

They do fly a lot of C-17s though (at least before the war they did).

I think if they continue having an airshows each year and the rock&rumble car show more money will continue coming in.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #936
Chuck289
Air cooled
 
Chuck289's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: SF Bay, California
Oddometer: 2,231
Airbus Unveils Gigantic A400M
http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/sci...=faces#slide=1
__________________
-Charles
"This is an environment of welcoming, and you should just get the hell out of here" - Michael Scott
Chuck289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #937
James Adams
Not a Texan
 
James Adams's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Hell (a.k.a. Texas)
Oddometer: 8,094
Huge is right -- around twice the payload capacity of the latest Herc (C-130J).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck289
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #938
Heyload
Remastered Classic
 
Heyload's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck289
Looks just like a turbo-prop version of a C-141A..
Heyload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #939
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoopster
Huge is right -- around twice the payload capacity of the latest Herc (C-130J).
"A spokesman for Lockheed Martin said the C-130J, a modernized version of which first flew in 1996, can carry 95 percent of what the A400M is specified to do."

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #940
James Adams
Not a Texan
 
James Adams's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Hell (a.k.a. Texas)
Oddometer: 8,094
From http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...irbus-grizzly/

Quote:
Powered by the West's largest turbo-prop engine, the new European competitor is designed to lift 37 tons compared with the Hercules's payload of 21 tons and the C-17's 75 tons.
Perhaps the C-130 can carry items almost as bulky as the A400. You know how salespeople focus on the positives--well, at least I do. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
"A spokesman for Lockheed Martin said the C-130J, a modernized version of which first flew in 1996, can carry 95 percent of what the A400M is specified to do."

James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #941
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoopster
From http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...irbus-grizzly/

Perhaps the C-130 can carry items almost as bulky as the A400. You know how salespeople focus on the positives--well, at least I do. :-)
I saw the conflicting figures, too. That's why I thought the Lockheed reps comments a little odd.



Counter-rotating engines is a clever bit of design/thought/planning.

A clever lot those French.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #942
raider
Big red dog
 
raider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoopster
From http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...irbus-grizzly/



Perhaps the C-130 can carry items almost as bulky as the A400. You know how salespeople focus on the positives--well, at least I do. :-)
Saying "Hercules" is like saying "Ford truck" - there are a suite of models in the C-130 range, all of which have different payloads.

The largest is the stretched C-130J-30 "Super Hercules", which features a 15' fuselage stretch over the traditional shape and an extra 2,000lb payload over the C-130J (44,000lb vs 42,000lb).

The C-130H, which is the most prevalent model in worldwide service, has a higher nominal payload (45,000lb), but over a much shorter range.

The key to quoting payload stats for freighter aircraft is not the raw tonnage lifted, it's the payload that can be lifted over a specified distance, or "tonnage miles". It is thus surprisingly difficult to compare transport aircraft unless you have a particular range figure in mind.

Take, for example, the CH-47F and DHC4 Caribou. The CH-47 can nominally lift more payload then the Caribou, but the DHC4 can lift its max payload of 8,000lb over 1,200 miles, whereas to match that range in a CH-47, you'd have to fly it empty and with auxiliary fuel. The 'bou is therefore a better freight aircraft than the Chook, if medium-haul is your thing.

I don't know the A400M's stats, but I gather it's designed to be broadly equivalent to C-130 payloads, but be able to lift them further. This an A400M and a C-130 might both be able to lift the same load, but the A400 could carry it X miles and the C-130 only Y. The A400, then, has a useful payload advantage over the C-130 - as you'd expect from an aircraft that has had 60 extra years of aeronautical engineering experience behind it.
__________________
14 R1200GS Adventure
raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #943
James Adams
Not a Texan
 
James Adams's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Hell (a.k.a. Texas)
Oddometer: 8,094
Agreed, though comparing the Chinook (helicopter) and the Caribou (airplane) is kind of like comparing a tractor to a pick-up.

FWIW, I was talking about the standard C-130J Super Hercules, not the -30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
Saying "Hercules" is like saying "Ford truck" - there are a suite of models in the C-130 range, all of which have different payloads.

The largest is the stretched C-130J-30 "Super Hercules", which features a 15' fuselage stretch over the traditional shape and an extra 2,000lb payload over the C-130J (44,000lb vs 42,000lb).

The C-130H, which is the most prevalent model in worldwide service, has a higher nominal payload (45,000lb), but over a much shorter range.

The key to quoting payload stats for freighter aircraft is not the raw tonnage lifted, it's the payload that can be lifted over a specified distance, or "tonnage miles". It is thus surprisingly difficult to compare transport aircraft unless you have a particular range figure in mind.

Take, for example, the CH-47F and DHC4 Caribou. The CH-47 can nominally lift more payload then the Caribou, but the DHC4 can lift its max payload of 8,000lb over 1,200 miles, whereas to match that range in a CH-47, you'd have to fly it empty and with auxiliary fuel. The 'bou is therefore a better freight aircraft than the Chook, if medium-haul is your thing.

I don't know the A400M's stats, but I gather it's designed to be broadly equivalent to C-130 payloads, but be able to lift them further. This an A400M and a C-130 might both be able to lift the same load, but the A400 could carry it X miles and the C-130 only Y. The A400, then, has a useful payload advantage over the C-130 - as you'd expect from an aircraft that has had 60 extra years of aeronautical engineering experience behind it.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #944
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,514
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #945
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy
 
Bigger Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Auburn, CA
Oddometer: 7,755
They had another close call in the Red Bull series:

__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."

Steve McQueen




Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014