User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 278 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #106
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Been there already as I;m from Edmonton. Haven't heard about the Mossy being sold. Hopefully they'll replace it with something good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate
If you're from Calgary you could start at the Alberta Aviation Museum in Edmonton. I hear there is some controversy about them wanting to sell the museum's DH Mosquito to a British collector.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #107
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
If you're from Calgary you could start at the Alberta Aviation Museum in Edmonton. I hear there is some controversy about them wanting to sell the museum's DH Mosquito to a British collector.
The Mosquito at the Calgary museum sat in a hangar at my old squadron for a long time. The motors were the only thing that wasn't damaged. It sat in a swampy field for a long time. most of the wood is rotten and whatever isn't is warped all to hell. 410 was trying to restore it for a pedestal as it was the aircraft type flown by the squadron during the war. We weren't allowed to work on it while on shift even if there was nothing going on and they weren't willing to spend any money to get the ball rolling. Cockpit instruments were mostly missing or broken, seats were rusted through. complete mess. The plywood used during its creation cannot be made anymore, flexible in all directions to enable complex shapes and incredibly strong. Less than a 3/32 thick in places and 15 ply. Glue used to make the plywood has been banned in most countries.
The people that are trying to keep it appealed to us (all of 4 wing Cold Lake) to help with the restoration but again it would all be on our own time. 6 hours one way to Calgary plus hotel etc didn't make it possible although some expressed interest in doing it, including myself.
The British collector is actually a group of aviation nuts that want to completely restore it to flight status and they have the means, tools and desire to do it. I really hope it does go over there. I would love to see and hear a Mosquito fly again.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #108
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Some more readin.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #109
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Speaking of Mosquitoes there was an old fella who lived/owened the airport at Acme Alberta. I went there a number of years back while just cruising around the countryside and found he was restoring a Mossy. He had a pile of Classic aircraft tucked away in a barn, parts of Tiger Moths, 1 or 2 flyable examples, a DeHav....Crane(?) I forget, and a large piece of the fuselage and part of the wing almost completed. he was a really neat old guy, crusty but great to chat with. He owned a car dealership in Calgary and sold and lived to rebuild these old classics. He died a few years back and I don't recall hearing about all his projects. Did the Mosquitoe in Calgary come from him?

I agree that as much as it's sad to lose a great artifact, it's more important to have the thing restored and flying. Never been in a Warbird but that one would be on my wish list.

Garrett from Cowtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wos
The Mosquito at the Calgary museum sat in a hangar at my old squadron for a long time. The motors were the only thing that wasn't damaged. It sat in a swampy field for a long time. most of the wood is rotten and whatever isn't is warped all to hell. 410 was trying to restore it for a pedestal as it was the aircraft type flown by the squadron during the war. We weren't allowed to work on it while on shift even if there was nothing going on and they weren't willing to spend any money to get the ball rolling. Cockpit instruments were mostly missing or broken, seats were rusted through. complete mess. The plywood used during its creation cannot be made anymore, flexible in all directions to enable complex shapes and incredibly strong. Less than a 3/32 thick in places and 15 ply. Glue used to make the plywood has been banned in most countries.
The people that are trying to keep it appealed to us (all of 4 wing Cold Lake) to help with the restoration but again it would all be on our own time. 6 hours one way to Calgary plus hotel etc didn't make it possible although some expressed interest in doing it, including myself.
The British collector is actually a group of aviation nuts that want to completely restore it to flight status and they have the means, tools and desire to do it. I really hope it does go over there. I would love to see and hear a Mosquito fly again.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #110
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,810
If the British collector group has the ability to restore the Mosquito then it should be sold to them. I think the price was over a million bucks. I'm sure the town can use the money more than an expensive to restore display at the museum. It sounds like a no brainer.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #111
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

I agree. The Mosquitoe is not actually AT the museum, it's in storage. I was just at the museum today. I doubt they would have the ability to restore it to flying condition. Hopefully they can get another aircraft that's in better condition for the money. They have a Lancaster there that you can't go into. It's great to see the old girl but I like going inside these old aircraft. There's a really nice Sabre (F86) there that Chuck Yeager apparently flew at some point as a chase aircraft.

Garrett

Quote:
If the British collector group has the ability to restore the Mosquito then it should be sold to them. I think the price was over a million bucks. I'm sure the town can use the money more than an expensive to restore display at the museum. It sounds like a no brainer.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #112
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
the Calgary Mosquito came out of Manitoba somewhere originally but I can't say for certain which directions it took in its travels.
The guys in Calgary do some incredible work and I love visiting whenever I am in the city.
We have a reconstructed Sabre on base right now getting a paint job. It was rebuilt in southern Ontario and will be doing the airshow circuit for this years anniversary of flight.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #113
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,715
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=6388
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #114
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

A german rendition from captured spitfire plans?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #115
sdmotor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Went to breakfast in this

Saw this for sale

Old 01-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #116
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmotor
Saw this for sale

DHANG!

Need sunglasses just to look at the pic.

Wonder how long it takes to get it to look like that.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #117
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
good pix

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircra...hts/index.html

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #118
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
A german rendition from captured spitfire plans?

nope
Old 01-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #119
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
nope
Reminds me of a hawker hurricane with some different wings on it.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #120
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Reminds me of a hawker hurricane with some different wings on it.
It's German...1933

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: