Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 402 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #1261
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,617
Fuel starvation, or lack thereof...
Sounded like a Rotax, or something of the sort.
there sure isn't much there to try and windmill, by the looks of it either...
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #1262
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,829
What are the odds there will be no traffic when you gotta make a dead stick landing on a multi lane road? Glad it worked out OK for them.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q

nofate screwed with this post 11-09-2010 at 07:37 PM
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #1263
airgord
What am I doing out here!

Oddometer: 845
Lucky there were no wires across the road too.
airgord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #1264
maddjack
UFO Pilot

Oddometer: 126
360 view of a Mustang cockpit

http://www.stclairphoto-imaging.com/...g/P51_swf.html
maddjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #1265
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Someone mentioned a love for Corsairs...

Check ths out:
http://www.eaa.org/news/2010/2010-11-08_corsair.asp
Rare Corsair Rescued

Early Birdcage version recovered from Lake Michigan

November 4, 2010 — A rare, Birdcage Corsair World War II fighter was recovered from Lake Michigan’s Waukegan Harbor, north of Chicago, on Monday morning, November 8, after spending the last 67 years submerged following a carrier training crash. Vought F4U-1 Bu. No. 02465, coded “F-21,” was the 32nd aircraft from the WWII-era rescued by A and T Recovery of Chicago.
These earlier Corsairs are known as birdcage versions because of their canopy framework, as opposed to the more familiar bubble canopy used on later models.
David Staffeldt, EAA 570227/Warbirds of America 551902, witnessed the recovery and provided a firsthand account, along with these exclusive photos.
“They started about 10:30,” he said. “Words cannot express the feeling I had when I saw it lifting out of the water. I was right there on the pier, close enough that I could have touched the prop.”
When the airplane was about 6 inches beneath the surface, you could instantly tell it was a Corsair, Staffeldt said. “As more and more of it was exposed, all I could think was how massive it was.”
Staffeldt, who is chief mechanic for the Warbird Heritage Foundation in Waukegan, said that when the airplane was about halfway out of the water, one of the straps failed, requiring the team to install new ones.
Damage to the aircraft appeared typical of those occurring during carrier operations training, he said. Incredibly, the propeller appeared undamaged.
According to information provided by the National Aviation Museum Foundation, which is part of the recovery effort, Ensign Carl Harold “Harry” Johnson, U.S. Navy Reserve, was undergoing carrier landing qualification training on June 12, 1943, out of Naval Air Station Glenview, in suburban Chicago. His plane crashed over the port bow of the carrier USS Wolverine just before 6 p.m. He escaped the sinking aircraft and was rescued by the picket boat, suffering superficial cuts. The Corsair sank into 220 feet of water.
Two weeks later, Johnson earned his carrier wings after completing eight carrier landings/takeoffs in a North American SNJ-4C. Sadly, Johnson was killed in a mid-air collision between two Grumman F6F-3 Hellcats over Hawaii on Thanksgiving Day, November 25, 1943.
The National Aviation Museum will restore the airplane for display in Pensacola, Florida. Longtime EAAer member Chuck Greenhill, EAA 113991/WOA 12289, sponsored the recovery mission and the future restoration to static display condition.

View more news videos at: http://www.nbcchicago.com/video.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:23 AM   #1266
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Jetman flies again

Jetman Flies Again

Yves Rossy leaps off the Breitling Orbiter over Switzerland.
View the photo gallery

November 11, 2010 — Donning a new, improved, jet-powered wing, Swiss Yves Rossy, aka Jetman, successfully made two loops for the first time on November 5 after leaping off a hot air balloon in Switzerland. After strapping on a new wing design, he went up in the Esprit Breitling Orbiter balloon to about 7,900 feet altitude, dove off a platform, and started soaring through the sky, propelled by four Jet-Cat P200 engines, each producing 22 kilograms of thrust.
Rossy, a former fighter pilot, flew a few minutes to stabilize his wing and find the optimal angle to begin two loops. After a rotation in front of the balloon, he deployed his parachute to land in Denezy.
The new wing, designed by Yves and the RUAG Company, measures about 6.5 feet across – shorter than the previous 8-foot design used when Rossy crossed the English Channel two years ago – and is rigid rather than foldable. He said the new prototype possesses a better aerodynamic profile and more stability.
Upon landing, Rossy stated, “It was fantastic! The flight went well, despite a little problem when starting my engines. I was able to do my two loopings and I am very happy!”
EAA has had many requests to host Jetman at AirVenture Oshkosh and there have been some discussions about seeing how to make it happen. The hold-up lies in the fact that Rossy has developed such a unique “aircraft” that it doesn’t fit neatly into any of the existing FAA categories, but EAA has offered its assistance and expertise to help Jetman someday fly in U.S. airspace.
View CBS News’ video of Rossy’s November 5 flight:
Old 11-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #1267
Grider Pirate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
I started with C/L in 1961. I swore that no matter what, I'd still fly models. Turns out I'm a liar. Pretty much all I do now is this:

I DO have, and fly a Parkzone Vapor from time to time, so I guess I wasn't totally lying.

http://griderpirate.smugmug.com/
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

Grider Pirate screwed with this post 11-18-2010 at 01:37 PM
Grider Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #1268
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,862
This guy stopped in Wickenburg on his way home to La. this morning.

Air Tractor AT-802.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #1269
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,400
Your tax dollars at work! nice piece of equipment.
crampfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #1270
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
Very fine photographs.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #1271
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
That looks fun!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #1272
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,829
Those Fire Boss planes are cool. There was a big forest fire near here this summer and they brought in 4 of these planes to help out the CL215s. The local airport was pretty busy that week.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:55 PM   #1273
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate
Those Fire Boss planes are cool. There was a big forest fire near here this summer and they brought in 4 of these planes to help out the CL215s. The local airport was pretty busy that week.

Yup. Bigass agri planes fitted with fire fighting gear. The pontoons make them seem massive compared to their crop dusting configuration.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:31 AM   #1274
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,532
So what do those planes do? Land on water and suck it up then dump it?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:59 AM   #1275
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,544
Looks like the AT can carry 820 lbs of fire water in the floats. Or 800 lbs of retardant in a bomb bay type of configuration. Very cool tool for close quarters and rapid response.

They are also working on another type of 'tool' for a different type of 'fire.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: