Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #4966
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
Krabil have you ridden the "K Trail" there and if so is it big bike friendly?

TIA
Yes, I've ridden it quite a few times. As far as being big bike friendly goes, I'd have to say . . . hmm . . . not really. A friend of mine rode it on his 1150, but he isn't your average rider. I've seen people have troubles with KLR's on the K-trail.

It's do-able, but you have to be a pretty good rider if you want to do it on anything bigger than a KLR.

That said, there are miles and miles of wonderful big bike friendly trails in that area, but parts of the K-Trail, especially on the Western end will give you some fits. It's easier and definitely big bike friendly the further East you get. The part that passes over into Arkansas is absolutely beautiful and worth doing by itself. The rougher stuff is close to and right out of Clayton. I'd say from Clayton to the Indian Highway is the toughest.

For big bikes, I'd to the Eastern portion of the K-trail (East of 259) - well, you could probably start at the Indian Highway for a little challenge and head East from there, then head on down South of 144 and explore that area.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #4967
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
Yes, I've ridden it quite a few times. As far as being big bike friendly goes, I'd have to say . . . hmm . . . not really. A friend of mine rode it on his 1150, but he isn't your average rider. I've seen people have troubles with KLR's on the K-trail.

It's do-able, but you have to be a pretty good rider if you want to do it on anything bigger than a KLR.

That said, there are miles and miles of wonderful big bike friendly trails in that area, but parts of the K-Trail, especially on the Western end will give you some fits. It's easier and definitely big bike friendly the further East you get. The part that passes over into Arkansas is absolutely beautiful and worth doing by itself. The rougher stuff is close to and right out of Clayton. I'd say from Clayton to the Indian Highway is the toughest.

For big bikes, I'd to the Eastern portion of the K-trail (East of 259) - well, you could probably start at the Indian Highway for a little challenge and head East from there, then head on down South of 144 and explore that area.
Thanks much appreciated!!
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #4968
mikecarpenter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinduroman View Post
Quick input needed:

Seriously trying to put together a spare-of-the-moment Saturday trip down to Talimena State Park to explore some of the ATV trails, forest roads, etc, in that area.

Are there online maps available of the trail system there?

I'll be riding a 2012 WR250R. I have ridden offroad for over 43 years and competed the AHRMA's "Intermediate" class. I can hold my own but I'm no "super rider". Is there a trail (or trails) I need to avoid in order to keep the fun factor upward on the scale? I may be by myself so that also has to factor in on trail difficulty.

ANY input would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

V-man
I'm in with a group of 2 or 3 coming down early Saturday morning (prob arrive at the state park by 8:30 am). Right now we're planning to do about 150 mile dual sport ride. Everything is subject to change of course and we might ride singletrack instead. You are welcome to join in. As mentioned before, there will be different groups heading out with various skill levels. Jump in with one you're comfortable with.

You can call me at 918.607.2296 if you want.

mikec
mikecarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #4969
Dirt2007
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2007 View Post

After further review, it seems that KTM CEO Stefan Pierer has purchased Husky, Not KTM AG. Says he plans to keep it seperate with some platform sharing. (most likely Husky using KTM stuff.)
So probably won't see any of these.
Dirt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #4970
frontiercat
all out of charm

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2007 View Post
After further review, it seems that KTM CEO Stefan Pierer has purchased Husky, Not KTM AG. Says he plans to keep it seperate with some platform sharing. (most likely Husky using KTM stuff.)
So probably won't see any of these.
Ga-Giggity....
frontiercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #4971
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
The ride is ON!

Gonna' have an Arkie ADV rider with me ("OLEARY") and he said he wants to ride the meanest, baddest, most technical trail you can throw at him! Said he's gonna' show us Okies a thing or two about the way REAL men ride!

We hope to arrive before 8 AM. I'll be in a blue Chevy S-10 w/a WR250R in the back.

Lookin' forward to hooking up with some fellow Okie crazies and seeing some new portions of the Ouachitas!!!

(Hope I can sleep tonight. )

V-man
Old 02-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #4972
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinduroman View Post
The ride is ON!

Gonna' have an Arkie ADV rider with me ("OLEARY") and he said he wants to ride the meanest, baddest, most technical trail you can throw at him! Said he's gonna' show us Okies a thing or two about the way REAL men ride!

We hope to arrive before 8 AM. I'll be in a blue Chevy S-10 w/a WR250R in the back.

Lookin' forward to hooking up with some fellow Okie crazies and seeing some new portions of the Ouachitas!!!

(Hope I can sleep tonight. )

V-man
You picked a good time to go, with all the other guys going. Have fun and let us know how it went.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #4973
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Back safe and sound from the sea of Orange Pumpkins!

After a few miles we both decided this was more than we wanted to do today. We were in the mood to hit some laid back stuff and enjoy the scenery. Soooo... we bailed, loaded up, and I took me ol' bud from AR over to a range of mountains I know very well and we finished our day there. We were back at our the trucks and loaded up about 5 PM or so. Great day to be out in the mountains regardless of the color of your bike or the choice of terrain!!

Want to thank whomever put that on down there. Look to be a very relaxed atmosphere, and typical of the biking community: Seemed we were friends with anyone we met. Great bunch of guys.

Looked to be a lot of riding down that way that needs to be explored, but I'll probably do that on my own so I can access it when I have the time and inclination without the need to coordinate with others.

Thanks to all of you that told us about the non-event, too!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #4974
dallasdrz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
KTM and Husaberg..... ==> Blue KTM

KTM and Husky....... ==> Red KTMs?

Next will be KTM and CZ

Ktm and Beta in 2008-2009 = RED

dallasdrz screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 08:52 AM
dallasdrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #4975
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,716
Sometimes it's good to change the routine...

On my way home tonight I came to one of my usual dreaded stoplights. Lynn Lane and Kenosha in BA. One of those that won't change for a motorcycle- I'm sure you know the feeling.

I always use the left lane because there is a merge after the light (Southbound). I've run this light more than I'd prefer to admit. Tonight, I found myself in the right lane and I came to a stop at this perpetually-red light. Looking both ways mentally preparing to run the light.

What do you know? The light turns green.

For several years now, I have been using the left lane with crappy sensors and running red lights.

Change lanes. Change the routine.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #4976
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 282
Super Conduction Magnet for stoplights

Try installing a big kick ass superconducting magnet to trip stoplights. It seems to work for me but no guarantees. My son stuffed one down inside the hollow swing arm pivot bolt on his GSXR 1000 and he said he still has lights that won't trip.

If you install one, mount it crosswise to the axis of the bike for best results. I have mine stuck to my centerstand. It will grab hold really tight from the magnetism but you will still need a couple of tie wraps on it to keep it from sliding around. Keep your fingers clear when you get close to steel! It will SNAP to the surface with a lot of force that will leave nasty blood blisters at best or peel hide at worst.

Here's where I got mine:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BZX084

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #4977
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,428
wonder what effect, if any, would these magnets have on the bikes computer?
DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #4978
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,316
This seems to be a rather "polarizing" subject....
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #4979
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
This seems to be a rather "polarizing" subject....
I see what you did there!

DrLewall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #4980
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 282
Magnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
wonder what effect, if any, would these magnets have on the bikes computer?
That's why I put it on the centerstand. I'm not sure what would happen if it was closer to the electrics and I don't want to find out

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote