User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010, 03:28 AM   #31
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Talking Split rim.

I was riding along a dirt road just a few decades ago on Yamaha's finest that was fitted with probably the 1st factory aluminium one piece wheels. It was night near Borden West Australia when I hit something with the front wheel (a Rock?) It split the rim open though the tube held (pre tubless tyres). Cost a week or two's wages for the part number and a couple of dollars for the wheel. I hope to put together an adventurish sidecar outfit and steel rims are the aim on heavy wire spokes. I use a hammer for a living so if gets bent its an easy fix.
Brstar
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #32
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,251
So what's the verdict...?

I heard a rumour somebody has now completed the swap on both front and rear, but haven't found the thread...

Something like a G650GS front wheel (direct bolt-on? or machining required?) and F800GS rear (stock hub with custom lacing & rim...?) is what I heard.

If you can fill in the details, well...
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #33
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber
I heard a rumour somebody has now completed the swap on both front and rear, but haven't found the thread...

Something like a G650GS front wheel (direct bolt-on? or machining required?) and F800GS rear (stock hub with custom lacing & rim...?) is what I heard.

If you can fill in the details, well...

It's the "F800 Rear Wheel on a 650twin?" thread and it's my bike. let me know if you have any questions that aren't answered on the thread. and.... yes its a f650GS funduro front (same as g650gs) and it's a direct bolt on with existing spacers. just flip the the wheel and disc. the rear was put together by Woody with a stock 800 rear hub (with new bearings and painted grey to match the front) laced to an excel rim... but a stock 800 wheel should work fine, although you'd get a crap rim and bearings :). Woody also does 800 rears now from scratch.

cheers,
Mark

markymcd screwed with this post 08-18-2010 at 03:10 PM
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #34
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,251
Thanks Mark, you're a great guinea pig! I'll read your thread carefully and bug you with questions if I have any.

Was that your bike parked behind Pacific Yam./BMW service dept. a week or two ago? I was drooling over a very similar Desierto equipped machine - Sheldon actually dragged me outside to look at it...

Peter
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #35
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber
Thanks Mark, you're a great guinea pig! I'll read your thread carefully and bug you with questions if I have any.

Was that your bike parked behind Pacific Yam./BMW service dept. a week or two ago? I was drooling over a very similar Desierto equipped machine - Sheldon actually dragged me outside to look at it...

Peter

I've been there a couple of times in the last month but not for service since June. My bikes has seen a lot of transformation in the last month with the wheels and new side panels. Although I've had the 798 Decals on the side for quite a while now.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #36
gomotogeo
Wrencher

Oddometer: 24
Woody's on the F650GS Twin

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd chime in. We stopped by Woody's on the way home from a 6 week trip around the western US and had wheels installed on my wifes F650GS. Firstly, Woody's Wheel Works is a great shop with great bunch of folks that work there. Getting the wheels ordered was easy, and they offered us a fair trade-in on the OEM cast rims that made the price totally reasonable - not sure if they always do that. Our setup uses excel rims, Superlaced to a 650GS hub on the front and a modified KTM hub on the rear. And it's tubeless :) During the install they explained every aspect of the wheels, the shop and their process.

The wheels are rockin! They're a work of art. I got to take Nita's bike for a spin in the dirt and the difference was remarkable. I honestly didn't think I'd feel that much of a difference but the bike felt noticeably more planted. On the highways the ride was also super-stable. I can't recommend them enough.

The full story is here:
http://www.welovemotogeo.com/archives/1294

The full gallery is here:
http://www.welovemotogeo.com/wus-gallery?pg=gallery36

Here are some pics showing the set-up:

Twitter: @gomotogeo
gomotogeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #37
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 264
I had mine done by Woodie's also, definitely top notch

Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #38
worthydog
Shosholoza

Oddometer: 458
I spoke with woody recently about wheels for a 650 I am purchasing. I believe he said he was using wheels from an aprilia caponord for the 650. That would give tubeless, cross-laced, 19/17. Sounds good, my brothers' capos have pretty wheels
worthydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #39
logwart
pining for the pines

Oddometer: 4
I am very interested in replacing the cast rims with spoke rims. Can the tire pressure sensor be made to function with aftermarket spoke wheels?

What kind of faring and top rack box are you using, Angryican, and how pleased have you been with their performance? Cheers!

logwart screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 10:56 AM
logwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #40
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Woody's spoke wheels for the F650GS Twin look great! Any words on pricing for a set of such wheels?
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #41
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
Woody's spoke wheels for the F650GS Twin look great! Any words on pricing for a set of such wheels?
I went to their website and used their tool to create a quote using only the best and ultimate options. It ended up being over $2000 for both wheels in black.

petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #42
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by logwart View Post
I am very interested in replacing the cast rims with spoke rims. Can the tire pressure sensor be made to function with aftermarket spoke wheels?

What kind of faring and top rack box are you using, Angryican, and how pleased have you been with their performance? Cheers!
If you go tubeless spoked you should be able to... which Woody's can do.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #43
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 627
If I get an F700gs does the dual disc up front make it harder to find a hub to make tubeless spoked wheels?
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:38 AM   #44
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
If I get an F700gs does the dual disc up front make it harder to find a hub to make tubeless spoked wheels?

Nobody can this know since the bikes are not out yet.

But if the spacing between both discs is the same as on the F800GS then it won't be a problem, just need the right wheel spacers to take down the axle diameter from 20mm to 17mm.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #45
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

call me crazy but you can just have the wheel built on the existing hub. The hub has nothing to do with the wheel being tubeless or tubed. Unless you're looking for swap out wheels. If that's the case just order the hub from Bikebandit when the microfiche is out.