ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2009, 07:26 AM   #151
Backmarker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDad
Did you warm up the bike before the big ride?
I always let it warm up while I'm putting on my heated gear.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #152
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,625
[quote=Backmarker]
Quote:
Originally Posted by platterdr

(Or I could bring the DRZ and we could all scratch our heads.)
Clogged jet, happens to all drzs if they sit more than a week without being started. Mine does the same thing, simple to fix. Keep Stabil in your gas all the time and it wont do it as often.....
Thats what everyone has been saying over on TT. I checked 2 bikes shops around here no one has any jets for it. And the goofballs at the Suzuki dealer said they couldn't sell me jets "there mechanics would put them though" . A friend of mine bought out Yamaha of Madison's inventory he has 2 or 3 boxes full of jets but has been gone all week.

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #153
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer
did someone say go for a ride??

when where?
Looks like it's going to be near 50 on friday. I'm headed for the woods.
oPAULo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #154
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by oPAULo
Looks like it's going to be near 50 on friday. I'm headed for the woods.
you must be way south...

it is only going to be 28 here...

and still 24"inches of snow.... maybe i will go for a ride.
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #155
TooSlow4U
2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Thats what everyone has been saying over on TT. I checked 2 bikes shops around here no one has any jets for it. And the goofballs at the Suzuki dealer said they couldn't sell me jets "there mechanics would put them though" . A friend of mine bought out Yamaha of Madison's inventory he has 2 or 3 boxes full of jets but has been gone all week.
The 2 dealers you went to are full of hogwash! Did you happen to ask them if they would be willing to get you aftermarket jets? I have a bunch of Mikuni jets left from a Yamaha dealer I bought out years ago, but not alot for the new Keihin FCR's. But, regardless, the jets are available aftermarket. Only downside is that you usually have to buy them in a 5 pack that way. What's wrong with yours? If they're clogged from sitting, just pop 'em out and clean everything. What kind of carb is on that bike?

TooSlow4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #156
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U
The 2 dealers you went to are full of hogwash! Did you happen to ask them if they would be willing to get you aftermarket jets? I have a bunch of Mikuni jets left from a Yamaha dealer I bought out years ago, but not alot for the new Keihin FCR's. But, regardless, the jets are available aftermarket. Only downside is that you usually have to buy them in a 5 pack that way. What's wrong with yours? If they're clogged from sitting, just pop 'em out and clean everything. What kind of carb is on that bike?
Yes they can order them, but I kinda thought that jets would be a common part that a motorcycle shop would carry. And after the dumb questions they asked and there attitude towards everything I didn't even offer to let them order anything for me. I'll give my business to on-line MC part dealers.

My friend in Madison more than likley would have them but I just found out he is in upstate NY for a week or so. So I ordered from Bike Bandit.

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
Old 01-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #157
Backmarker
Beastly Adventurer

Just take out the ones you have. Blow them out with air and clean them up real good. It doesnt take much to stop one up. You do have a fcr,correct?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #158
Backmarker
Beastly Adventurer

Also . Sometimes on mine if I drain the floatbowl via the drain tube a coulple of times that is enough to unclog it.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #159
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

I have taken the carb off the the bike cleaned it,cleaned all the jets. I checked the valves they are within spec,plug is firing a nice shade of blue.

Still no start

Old 01-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #160
Backmarker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have taken the carb off the the bike cleaned it,cleaned all the jets. I checked the valves they are within spec,plug is firing a nice shade of blue.

Still no start
Compression,fuel,spark=boom.... Without knowing if you have a s or an e model. Do you have a kinked petcock vac. line??
Old 01-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #161
Backmarker
Beastly Adventurer

Alright platterdr. Try this. Go out and drain the floatbowl by opening the drain, mine has a small allen screw. Do this with the fuel turned to the on setting.Close drain. Then full choke and several turns of throttle. The bike will crank and backfire. Keep giving it more turns with the throttle till it runs a few seconds then dies. Repeat till the bike runs and will take throttle without dying. This is how mine acts when it sets awhile without any Stabil in it. Bet your jets are fine. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #162
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,889
I check carburation with a squirt bottle of gas. If you can squirt gas in the carb and make it run you know it's in the carb. If you can't and have spark and compression then I'd look to the timing. Pretty easy to check and see if the cam chain has jumped a tooth. Not super common but I've read about it happening with the old style tensioners. Do you have a manual cam chain tensioner yet?

Like backmarker said, If you have the vacuum operated fueltap, make sure it's working and plugged in. I switched mine over to manual and capped off the vacuum port on the carb and had the vacuum cap pop off once. It still started but not as good. If you need another vacuum fueltap your welcome to my old one.

Paul
oPAULo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #163
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,522
Quote:
Those look much more reasonable than the Hippo hands, not to mention more affordable. Do they fit over the stock brush guards or just over the levers?

Just curious. I might have to order a set of those real soon. Thanks for the tip.

i have acerbis bark busters, and they fit over them just fine.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #164
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,522
platter, u have been tryin to start it when it's been cold outside....right?

don't take anything apart yet, clean n check plug gap...make sure u have gas flowing to carb. friday when it's warm, set it out in sun for a bit. i bet it starts.

oh, and an inline fuel filter would be a good idea too.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:00 AM   #165
RoadDad
n13ub

Oddometer: 412
Voodoo

If all those ideas don't work, hit it with a ball peen hammer. Works for me!
RoadDad is offline   Reply With Quote