Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Question Help? What am I doing wrong?

I am using:
Basecamp
Garmin Monterra
Topo US 24K Norteast
CN North America NT 2015.10 ALL

I downloaded some of the GPX files here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=909306

to Basecamp on my computer and they show is basecamp and when I click on the file I see several tracks displayed. It shows the route in basecamp on the map.

Then when I import to the monterra it only shows the numbered tracks not the same name it was named in basecamp.

Then when I pick one of the tracks that shows the actual route and try to navigate to it. It does not give me any directions.

Basically when I export the file to the monterra it becomes useless since it wont navigate to the starting point and even when I drive to the starting point it would not provide directions.

What am I doing wrong. I have searched and searched but did not find an answer.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Paul

potratz screwed with this post 07-05-2014 at 08:14 PM
potratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,264
Paul,

You are using the words "Tracks" and "Routes" they are very different things.

Routes can only be navigated but most people just follow Tracks but each Track must be "turned on" by clicking "Show on Map" so it changes to "Hide on Map".
Old 07-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
potratz OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Paul,

You are using the words "Tracks" and "Routes" they are very different things.

Routes can only be navigated but most people just follow Tracks but each Track must be "turned on" by clicking "Show on Map" so it changes to "Hide on Map".
Jerry, Thank you. So the files I downloaded does not provide the option to tell me turn by turn? Is that correct?
Old 07-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by potratz View Post
Jerry, Thank you. So the files I downloaded does not provide the option to tell me turn by turn? Is that correct?
There are several files on the thread you pointed to. I opened several and they were all Tracks. Most people just follow tracks if they are off highway, you don't need turn by turn instructions like on a highway.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
potratz OP
Adventurer

Quote:
There are several files on the thread you pointed to. I opened several and they were all Tracks. Most people just follow tracks if they are off highway, you don't need turn by turn instructions like on a highway.
Jerry, Again thank you for the help. I will retry again tomorrow. Have a great evening.
Paul
Old 07-06-2014, 05:06 AM   #6
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,821
Look at page 4 and 8 of your manual for more information about what the Monterra can do - one thing it can't do is navigate a track - other than when using the trackback feature to reverse course on the current tracklog.

At least some of the older GPSMap units, like the 276/376/478 and others will do turn by turn track navigation. This is likely due to their marine heritage.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:19 AM   #7
potratz OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
Look at page 4 and 8 of your manual for more information about what the Monterra can do - one thing it can't do is navigate a track - other than when using the trackback feature to reverse course on the current tracklog.

At least some of the older GPSMap units, like the 276/376/478 and others will do turn by turn track navigation. This is likely due to their marine heritage.
Dave, Thank you and the inability for me not being able to navigate a track has proved very difficult.

- I go to the start of the track and while I am driving it's not showing on the map I am moving down the track.
- I then have to stop and manual move the map to see where I am at and when my next turn is coming up.

Does this make sense and am I doing something wrong, is it a setting I need to change in the Monterra or did I get the wrong GPS for riding less traveled roads.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,928
If you really want a route, Open the track in Basecamp. Then select the Create Route option at the bottom of the track window. Then copy that route to your Monterrra.

Expect annoying problems navigating with routes with the GPS unit doing things you might not like, like autozooming, recalculating if you miss a turn and not matching what you saw on the Basecamp screen in places, too many via points, etc.. Some can be avoided with proper routing setup options.

And I recommend also having the track stored on the GPS unit as a backup in case routing becomes too annoying or just plain stops working.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #9
potratz OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post

Can the Montana navigate a track?
Old 07-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #10
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I go to the start of the track and while I am driving it's not showing on the map I am moving down the track.

I then have to stop and manual move the map to see where I am at and when my next turn is coming up.
Did you open the first track and click "Show on Map" and it changes to "Hide on Map"? or did you click "View on Map" and it imediatly switched to the Map showing the Track end to end? The first is for following tracks as you ride, the second is just to look at track for who know why.

If the map doesn't move as you ride, I am sure you are just viewing the track.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #11
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,192
On the Monterra, when you open the Tracks App you can Show on Map the selected Track by "checking" the box. There is no "Hide on Map" toggle. You would simply uncheck the "Show on Map" box.

You might have read my Monterra Review before you purchased this device.

As others have noted, you do not get turn-by-turn directions from Tracks. You simply follow Tracks on the Map--like you would a road.

If you are going to convert the Tracks to Routes in BaseCamp, you will want to make sure that the Monterra Route Setting for Off Route Recalculation is set to OFF. The reason being, these converted Routes may not be on Road surfaces and therefore if recalculated they will no longer follow the intended path.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #12
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Did you open the first track and click "Show on Map" and it changes to "Hide on Map"? or did you click "View on Map" and it imediatly switched to the Map showing the Track end to end? The first is for following tracks as you ride, the second is just to look at track for who know why.

If the map doesn't move as you ride, I am sure you are just viewing the track.
Jerry, your suggested actions are not correct for the Monterra. It is not the same as the Montana.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #13
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Can the Montana navigate a track?
No. Not the way in which you would navigate a Route.

You might have purchased a zumo 390LM or 590LM if you want to navigate Tracks as they are converted to Routes on the device. But, as was suggested, when you are navigating a Route that was converted from a Track you should always have the original Track showing on the Map while you are navigating the Route. In this way it will be obvious if the Route deviates from the original Tracks path.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #14
SkunkMilk
Lt. Obvious

Oddometer: 3
I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but you should be able to convert a track to a route in basecamp. I'm pretty sure I just did this the other day. I'm a novice rider and I don't like taking the slab; often I find that basecamp wants me to drive on freeways even if I select motorcycle as my mode of transportation. So I took some of my old tracks and trimmed them and then converted them to a route. Once I did that I was able to navigate the route.

Also, you may want to look in to creating an "Adventure" which is a new thing in the last few versions. I believe the whole point is to turn a track you made in to an adventure that someone else can follow. Even if that someone else is you.

I run the GPSMAP 62stc and, like most GPS units, it can flake out a bit. To ensure I can always find my way home, I always put my user data (tracks, waypoints, geocaches, etc) on the micro SD card. This way if something flakes out, I can pull the card and I'm back to factory. Pulling the SD out made my unit usable again a few times and got me on my way.
Just a tip YMMV.
SkunkMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #15
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Jerry, your suggested actions are not correct for the Monterra. It is not the same as the Montana.
OK but no one helped him with:

"I go to the start of the track and while I am driving it's not showing on the map I am moving down the track.
- I then have to stop and manual move the map to see where I am at and when my next turn is coming up"

Does Monterra have the View Track option? On old units, that was common error by users.