ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #136
soarski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Originally Posted by soarski
One small detail I liked on the 550 that was not on the the 400 was the trip computer. On the lower right side of the screen there is button labeled 6<->6 which toggle the screen between two large bold field or 6 smaller fields. I like the two larger bold fields for speed and distance. Much easier to see. I don't think the 400 has this option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1
My Oregon 200 has this feature. Try doing a firmware update. This enabled new options on my 200 compared to the original firmware.
Has anyone done a firmware update on the 300 and have the feature described above in the trip computer?
soarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #137
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,793
Quote:
It was offered to me. When I went back the next day there was a different person behind the counter. I asked about the 550t and the price. This guy new nothing of the discount price on the 550t. I waited for the other guy to come back, about 30 min or so. He said they were offering the 550t at the same $150 off as substitute to the 400t since it was out of stock but they now had the 400t back in stock. I told him I'd buy the 550t if he could get me the discounted price. Management approved. Done deal. No beggin.
Thanks for the info. They gave me a rain check on the 400t, but I'll call the store customer service desk tomorrow to see if they'll do the same deal.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #138
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Quote:
Has anyone done a firmware update on the 300 and have the feature described above in the trip computer?
Yes. That's in the newer firmware versions. I've had it on my 300 for months.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #139
fire_strom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Has anyone been going down the road following a route, gone off route, and had the Oregon beep and offer a recalculate? So far mine doesn't really care if I'm on route or off. This could be a deal breaker if the unit offers no "wake up, stupid!" type prompt.
Scott

fire_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:24 AM   #140
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_strom
Has anyone been going down the road following a route, gone off route, and had the Oregon beep and offer a recalculate? So far mine doesn't really care if I'm on route or off. This could be a deal breaker if the unit offers no "wake up, stupid!" type prompt.
Scott
Navigating on road or off? I find if I'm navigating a route on road, doing that on the Oregon is a two-step procedure:

- Select "Where TO" - find the location in the gps - city, address, waypoint, whatever and choose Go
- The map comes up. Close the map screen and go back to the "Where To" screen and change the method to "On Road".

If you don't do that the Oregon navigates you off road by default. It's too bad it doesn't come up with a choice screen asking which way you want to navigate, as the 60 does, though.

People are already asking Garmin to add that feature to the Oregon.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #141
fire_strom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
I have the unit set to default to routing "on road for mileage". I was following a route on road and, on purpose, took a wrong turn. The Oregon never blinked.

I see on the unit software revisions that there was an "improvment" in one revision but I got nothing. I can't even go to the active route screen and recalculate because if your current route is on road the only offer for recalculate is for off road (or vice-versa). That is the stupidest thing ever, I really hope I am missing something or Garmin is going to lose another customer to a smartphone/GPS setup.

It is bad enough that it doesn't notice I am off route but even if I do there's no good way to manually recalculate.

Close to quitting-
Scott

UPDATE:
I don't know what I did but now the unit does recalculate if I go off route. Hurray right? Well no, it does it automatically without asking.

Closer to quitting-
Scott

fire_strom screwed with this post 11-26-2009 at 01:25 PM
fire_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #142
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
My Oregon has always automatically recalculated.

Must just be a matter of some preference setting somewhere...

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #143
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,151
Not sure what the latest lowest price is, but West Marine has them for $299. I used a gift card I had and lowered the price significantly, making it within striking range for a christmas gift from my wife to me.
Thanks Honey!
Old 12-02-2009, 05:23 AM   #144
Exurban
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw
Not sure what the latest lowest price is, but West Marine has them for $299. I used a gift card I had and lowered the price significantly, making it within striking range for a christmas gift from my wife to me.
Thanks Honey!
I had mentioned that earlier. It's the navigational chart version. With a micro sd card and free topo maps you're set.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #145
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exurban
I had mentioned that earlier. It's the navigational chart version. With a micro sd card and free topo maps you're set.

Just picked that one up today, i'm just gonna delete the charts and then add the Topo maps, probably pick up a card eventually to add more maps. got sick and tired of the crappy 478 breaking down on me every trip.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #146
Exurban
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
Just picked that one up today, i'm just gonna delete the charts and then add the Topo maps, probably pick up a card eventually to add more maps. got sick and tired of the crappy 478 breaking down on me every trip.
I'd leave the NOAA charts in, maybe for resale value or maybe you'll be needing a boat some day. I have an 8gb micro sd I got for about $20 or so and have Garmin's 100k topo on it with about 5.2 gb to spare.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #147
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,151
Quote:

Oh. Crap. So, ahh.. these topo maps you speak of. Where do I get them?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #148
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
I'd leave the NOAA charts in, maybe for resale value or maybe you'll be needing a boat some day. I have an 8gb micro sd I got for about $20 or so and have Garmin's 100k topo on it with about 5.2 gb to spare.
I just copied the file to my laptop so I can always put em back in. I probably won't even bother with getting the Garmin Topo maps, just use the free USGS ones. One of the major reasons I picked the Oregon up was the ability to be able to use non proprietary map sets in it.

So an 8 Gig will work then? That's good to know, for some reason I thought I read you were limited to 4 Gig.

Still not sure if I'm gonna hang on to this one or go ahead and spend another $100 and get the 550.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #149
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw
Oh. Crap. So, ahh.. these topo maps you speak of. Where do I get them?
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/
Old 12-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #150
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 796
So, I ordered a 300 from REI when they had their $250 sale going on, but it is back-ordered.

Anybody else order one that has shipped, just so I can have an idea of when to expect it?
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote