ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #151
Carl_Mega
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Question for you guys: In mapsource you can "Receive from Device". I do that to get my tracks (which are saved and can be viewed just fine in the GPS itself) however, mapsource only loads a few of my saved ones and they all show as one or two points instead of the 100s that make up the track. I can copy the gpx to computer, load it in mapsource and it shows just fine. Geek, another Adver, has the same problem. Has anyone else experienced this?
1998 Montesa Cota 315 R
Carl_Mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:08 AM   #152
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
I always just copy the track GPX files off the Oregon and then import them into Road Trip (the Mac version of Mapsource). I recall trying "Receive from Device" early on, and it didn't work well.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:10 AM   #153
Piston OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Interfacing with Google Earth?

I had an old etrex which I could easily plug into the usb port, go into Google Earth, and under the TOOLS menu, select GPS and then GARMIN and click on IMPORT....then it would import all my tracks and waypoints.

I tried doing this with the oregon in different modes but can't seem to get the tracks to load? The only way I have been able to do it is by saving the .gpx tracks and then opening them in google earth. It seems I should be able to do it the simple way like I can with the etrex?

Has anyone been able to do this yet? Also I want to be able to have Google Earth recognize the GPS so I can navigate with my laptop and google earth using the Oregon as my receiver (like on a road trip in a car or something like that)
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:26 AM   #154
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston
Has anyone been able to do this yet? Also I want to be able to have Google Earth recognize the GPS so I can navigate with my laptop and google earth using the Oregon as my receiver (like on a road trip in a car or something like that)
Have you tried connecting using the "Garmin Spanner" mode? It's a setting on the gps.

Sounds like you're connecting in "Serial" mode right now.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:32 AM   #155
Piston OP
Gnarly Adventurer

You were right, I was actually in Spanner mode but when I connected the GPS to the usb port I would press no when it asked me if I wanted it to be in mass storage mode. I didn't think I would have to say YES to that but I guess so.
Thanks for the help

Okay so that worked for importing tracks. How about using it realtime? Since I have to use the GPS in mass storage mode I can't have it on to use it as my receiver?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #156
Piston OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nevermind that last question, I just tried it again not in mass storage and it worked for realtime. cool, thanks.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #157
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

New Oregon Software Released Today

The text below is from this Garmin download page.

Oregon® 400t
Updates & Downloads

Oregon software version 3.42 Beta as of December 22, 2009
» Download
» View download instructions and system requirements

Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.
Change History

Changes made from version 3.41 to 3.42:
Added date/time to Elevation Plot page when plot future is active.

Added display of icons to the lists in Where To? > Waypoints and the Geocaching application.

Fixed issue where vehicle position would switch between actual and on-road locations.

Fixed issue where searching for a geocache from the Geocaching-Active widget would return to the map page without ever giving the option to navigate to the geocache.

==============================================

The 550 version, from the Garmin Download page.

Oregon® 550
Updates & Downloads

Oregon 550 software version 2.81 Beta as of December 22, 2009
» Download
» View download instructions and system requirements

Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.
Change History

Changes made from version 2.71 to 2.81:
Added date/time to Elevation Plot page when plot future is active.
Added display of icons to the lists in Where To? > Waypoints and the Geocaching application.
Added phone numbers when available to POI review pages.
Fixed issue where vehicle position would switch between actual and on-road locations.

No mention if this fixes the saved track invisibility issue - must check tomorrow when I install the update.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 12-22-2009 at 07:55 PM Reason: Fixed a link
Old 12-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #158
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
No mention if this fixes the saved track invisibility issue - must check tomorrow when I install the update.
I've since found out that the latest software does fix the saved track visibility issue.

Yeah!
Old 12-24-2009, 08:20 AM   #159
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,668
Cool!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #160
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,723
Santa's kool....

Brought me a 550 last night. In fact I was so sure he would, I bought City Nav, 12v kit, screen protector and a cradle for my RAM mount before hand.

Now, to figer' this thing out. Coming from the Lowrance camp this may take awhile!
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:02 AM   #161
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc

Now, to figer' this thing out. Coming from the Lowrance camp this may take awhile!
Welcome to the dark side. Or is the dork side? I forget.

Santa got me another gps too but he forgot to bring it. He says it'll be here on the 28th...
Old 12-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #162
TAPnTX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
I have been very pleased with the Oregon. I have used it about 5 times on my Sport bike and Dual Sport bike, and I never turn on the back light. I am using it with Batteries only, and have yet to charge them (NIMh 2000). Average trip distance around 200 miles.

I might also add I am using a Helmet (Arai with the darkest Smoked shield). And I have yet to be in a situation where it was not visible without back lighting.

I am an old 76CS user, and was very hesitant to give up the highly visible screen. but after two rides with the Oregon, all I can say is welcome to the 21st century. I am so pleased with it, that I also bought a 60Cx for $199 from Amazon, and shipped it back after using the Oregon outdoors a few times.

Todd

09 Kawasaki Versys
TAPnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #163
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAPnTX
I am an old 76CS user, and was very hesitant to give up the highly visible screen. but after two rides with the Oregon, all I can say is welcome to the 21st century. I am so pleased with it, that I also bought a 60Cx for $199 from Amazon, and shipped it back after using the Oregon outdoors a few times.

Todd
I waited a little longer to get rid of my 60CSx - bought the 550 Oregon in September, and got rid of the 60 last Friday. No regrets here too - once you're used to the higher resolution of the Oregon, it's hard to go back to the 60/76, though they are very good units.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #164
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,723
What speed (class) microSD memory cards are people using in the Oregon's?

I figure 4GB should allow me to load most or all the City Nav plus all my routes, but not sure about how many images I'll be taking with my 550.

Thanks for any suggestions.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #165
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc
What speed (class) microSD memory cards are people using in the Oregon's?

I figure 4GB should allow me to load most or all the City Nav plus all my routes, but not sure about how many images I'll be taking with my 550.

Thanks for any suggestions.
I just threw in a class 4. Let's face it since the thing uses USB 1.0 it really doesn't make much difference what speed your memory card is. Thank you Garmin!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote