ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #211
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,021
Another thing you might consider is the 450 and separately purchasing the newer Garmin 24K TOPO's that are Routable and Unlocked. They are more expensive (sold by Region) but do have the advantage of being routable if that matters to you.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #212
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exurban
Oh, I thought I tried to search in PA and NY with free 24k's loaded for those states and didn't get anything so assumed the POI's were with the maps, not the base map. Will try again, thanks.
I edited my previous post for better clarity.

Free maps = Some have a seachable POI db & some do not.
Garmin maps = All Garmin maps I have seen have a searchable POI db.

Actually having multiple POI dbs for the same area can be somewhat of a drag. For example if you have CN & Topo & R&R installed and do a search/find for nearest cities, any city (most) that is in all 3 databases will be listed on the results page 3 times thereby cluttering the list unnecessarily with redundant info.

Bruce
mcnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #213
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
New Oregon, Dakota Software

I found this out on the Groundspeak Forums - if you're worried about updating it may be better to let other fools (like me) rush in first.

Dakota (WebUpdater) software version 2.60
http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=4527

Oregon (WebUpdater) software version 3.60
http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=4051

Oregon 550 (WebUpdater) software version 3.10
http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=4523

* Increased the map drawing range to allow maps to draw farther south.
* Corrected issue with route line sometimes not drawing.
* Corrected issues with marine POI.
* Corrected issues with GB Discoverer maps.
* Corrected issue with project waypoint bearing sometimes not showing the input value.
* Corrected issues with possible corrupted profile showing on the Profile Change page. (Oregon 550 only)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just updated both my 550s and they work very nicely (still). ;)

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 01-28-2010 at 04:33 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:42 AM   #214
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

How To Load Maps on an Oregon/Dakota/Colorado

After what people have been saying about maps on the new Garmins I thought I'd go back and revisit the map loading on my Oregon 550. I had lots of different maps including Topo Canada V4, Metroguide, Enhanced Basemaps, Ibycus Topo and some others which a local group created, but I didn't think they were loaded in the best way.

So I connected the Oregon to my computer in Mass Storage Mode and backed them up to the computer, then deleted them all off the Oregon, and went back to Mapsource, and using one map at a time, loaded each to the Oregon, then went to the Oregon and renamed each file which had just been uploaded.

They are always called gmapsupp.img initially but I gave the file a more descriptive name like TopoV4.img, then did the same with each of the other mapsets through Mapsource, renaming appropriately after I downloaded each set.

Because I renamed gmapsupp.img each time, the file was not being overwritten as would normally happen when you download or change maps on the gps.

When I restarted the Oregon after going through all this it took a couple of minutes to process each img file, and now I have a clean set of files which should be easier to update if/when the time comes to add or remove components of a particular mapset.

I know, it's confusing and sounds complicated but it's not, really, and it sure is nice that the Oregon allows this kind of customization.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:03 AM   #215
Exurban
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Thanks for that. I had some 24k's on my card and a coworker installed a free set of 100k's on it which of course overwrote the 24k's. Your method seems like an easy way to put them all there now. So if I decide on the street maps too, I can rename everything to something other than mapsupp but keep the .img then install the street maps from Mapsource onto the card as well?
Old 01-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #216
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Thanks for that. I had some 24k's on my card and a coworker installed a free set of 100k's on it which of course overwrote the 24k's. Your method seems like an easy way to put them all there now. So if I decide on the street maps too, I can rename everything to something other than mapsupp but keep the .img then install the street maps from Mapsource onto the card as well?
Yes, just keep this in mind: If you always rename gmapsupp.img as your last step after loading maps, you will never overwrite another again.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #217
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,951
I bought an Oregon 550 before Christmas and spent about a month learning how to use it, upgrading the software, trying out different maps, reading lots of wiki info, and finally using the 550 on several car/bike trips. I finally gave up and sent it back to Big River for a full refund. I like the looks of the TwoNav, and the specs seem to describe something that I might be interested in. I'm trying to track down the user manual (Engrish version).

Owning the 550 was a depressing experience. The unit never lived up to my expectations, but that could be more my fault than Garmin's. I never really liked the drill-down and back-out touch screen scheme; I'm too used to the menu button on other units, I guess. A virtual menu button might have done for me, and the dashboard looked like it might be a way around the up/down scheme, but it was too late. One pet peeve: leave the map to check something, then come back; the zoom level is changed when you return.

Then there were the software bugs. Each software update fixed something and broke another. Although this is common throughout the computer and electronic gizmo industries, it doesn't make it right. The bugs should have been caught by Garmin testing; several were quite trivial. Plus, maps from one vendor didn't display routes/tracks at some zoom levels but worked fine at others; not Garmin's fault perhaps.

The lack of a comprehensive Garmin manual was a struggle, although the wiki was a great help in this area. For instance, the Garmin Owner's Manual mentions 'archive' in one place in the manual "Archived or loaded tracks are listed on the Track Manager page." but no mention of how to archive or what it means.

The topper for me was the USB port and trying to use it for external power. To use the camera (primarily why I bought the 550), you have to remove the 550 from its mount or tank bag and pull it to your line of sight to take a picture. If you have a coiled cord, it will put strain on the USB plug. If you have a straight cord, you'll have to pull it out then put it back when finished, and this will also put strain on the USB plug. You can remove the USB plug from the Oregon so you can walk around and take pictures, which is what I did. Soon you will notice that the USB plug is getting loose when you replug the cord. I didn't know which end was wearing, the male or female. If it's the male end of the cord, then replacing the cord is an option. If the female end in the 550 is wearing, that could be a real problem. If you're only taking a few pictures, plug wear probably won't be a problem. I expect to take up to 100 pictures per ride, and I ride 3-4 days per week. My solution is to buy one of the three new point-and-shoot zoom cameras just announced that have GPS chips and will georeference your pictures.

I know that many have found the Oregon to be a useful and even enjoyable GPS receiver; good on them. I still have 4 Garmin GPS receivers that are quite useful, and I'll check Garmin's offerings in the future. For now, so long Oregon.

These comments are not meant to imply that the Oregon is not an excellent, good, or just acceptable receiver. I'm giving my opinion about what I experienced. I will not engage in arguments.

YMMV
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #218
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz
...... I like the looks of the TwoNav, and the specs seem to describe something that I might be interested in. I'm trying to track down the user manual (Engrish version)......
EDIT: Working again...TwoNav Aventura v2.1

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 02-02-2010 at 02:07 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #219
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,951
Quote:
EDIT: Working again...TwoNav Aventura v2.1
Thanks, got it.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #220
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz
I will not engage in arguments.
That's ok -this room is for abuse anyway. Arguments are next door.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:40 AM   #221
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
TwoNav looks like a potentially very cool solution -- but at the moment it appears to only be really useful in Europe. The only North American maps they have available are the free US Geological Survey raster maps. Obviously those would not be routable.

Sorry to hear the Oregon didn't work out for you, ramz. Maybe the unit you got was a lemon? I haven't had the multitude of issues you describe.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #222
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,031
Quote:
The free 24k maps are great for the price and better detail than the 100k that come with the -t. But, the pre-loaded maps are searchable for towns and geographic points which might appeal to some.
I just got my Oregon 450. Could someone point me to a good place to download these free 24k topo maps and possibly a good tutorial for a complete newbie?

thanks,
Hugh

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #223
Exurban
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/
Old 02-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #224
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Can anybody confirm if the screen on the Oregon 450 is the same as on the 550? Any differences besides the obvious lack of a camera?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:28 AM   #225
buyarbi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Question

I have had my oregon 550 for a week now and am getting use to where the functions are. At least for someone coming from a nuvi 265. The world map is installed and I have found out how to put waypoints at turns onto different roads for guidelines to a location.
This is ok if that is all there is to work with on this unit , but is there a map I can install that will take me to a location following a road ( like the nuvi )as opposed to a straight line and compass bearing
My purpose for the 550 is to travel from Canada into South America. I can maneuver through the states with no problem but when I hit the Mexican border and south it would be nice to have gps maps that have been ( USED AND LIKED BY TRAVELERS DOWN THERE ). I have read over many posts and am now totally confused . I havent attempted any download of maps to my computer or onto the gps or sim card.
Any thoughts appreciated
Bill

buyarbi screwed with this post 02-15-2010 at 01:56 PM
buyarbi is offline   Reply With Quote