ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #241
psalonis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Thanks everyone for all the helpful information in this thread. I'm a lot more comfortable with my Oregon 550 purchase because of it! I'm especially thankful for the posts regarding the advantages of buying the basic 500 and adding maps vs. preloaded maps.

Based on this thread I bought:
Oregon 550
City Nav on DVD
Zagg protector
Bare wire power supply
RAM cradle

And now, I have a quick map transfer question:

I understand how to build mapsets and transfer them to the GPS.
Is there a short cut for simply transfering ALL of City Nav at once or do I literally have to select each map, build a mapset that includes everything and send that?

I have successfully created and transfered a "Northeast" mapset but would like to have all the maps once I pick up a micro SD card.

Just curious if there's an easy way that I'm missing.

Thanks again for all the knowledge shared.
03 ST 1300
10 990 SMR
psalonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #242
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalonis
Is there a short cut for simply transfering ALL of City Nav at once or do I literally have to select each map, build a mapset that includes everything and send that?
Can't you just zoom way out on Mapsource and while using the map select icon, click and drag to select as much as you want at once?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:48 AM   #243
psalonis
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Em, that's exactly what I did.

8GB micro SD card installed, all of City Nav. 2010 loaded with no apparent issues.

Now to check out gpsfiledepot.com for Topos....

Still getting used to the Oregon. I think I'm going to like the profiles function a lot.
03 ST 1300
10 990 SMR
Old 03-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #244
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Thanks Em, that's exactly what I did.

8GB micro SD card installed, all of City Nav. 2010 loaded with no apparent issues.

Now to check out gpsfiledepot.com for Topos....

Still getting used to the Oregon. I think I'm going to like the profiles function a lot.
Make sure you go into the Oregon in Mass Storage mode/Explorer view (assuming Windows, of course), and rename the mapset you uploaded to something other than gmapsupp.img so the next maps you upload don't overwrite your existing set.

You'll still see and be able to use the renamed maps, but if you don't rename it, they'll be wiped out.

Also, don't forget to keep the .img extension when you rename the mapset.

If you name it something like citynav2010.img, then if you do plan to change that mapset for the same but slightly different, then you'll know which .img file to delete.

Not sure if this makes sense to you, but if not, just ask!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #245
Exurban
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
On your advice, that is what I did and it works just fine. The GPS is looking for anything with the .img extension so there's no harm in renaming any of the maps you load. As said, it always overwrites gmapsupp.img so I also rename the last one I loaded so next time I load another map it will not overwrite anything I previously uploaded. I have the nautical charts on the GPS then on the card have 100k US maps and three states of 24k so far. I will likely add street maps of some sort of- whether pay for the Garmin version or check out free street maps.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #246
psalonis
Gnarly Adventurer

Yup....goes into mass storage mode soon as I connect to the PC.
I loaded the entire City Nav onto the card presumably, I see the GPS and I see "removable storage" or similar (I forget) listed as the F:\ and G:\ drives respectively.

Once loaded, I changed the name of the .img file, keeping the extension.

Does the GPS simply look for .img files regardless of where they were stored? In otherwords, I don't have to point it to the card vs. the GPS itself (assuming I have multiple maps loaded).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
Make sure you go into the Oregon in Mass Storage mode/Explorer view (assuming Windows, of course), and rename the mapset you uploaded to something other than gmapsupp.img so the next maps you upload don't overwrite your existing set.

You'll still see and be able to use the renamed maps, but if you don't rename it, they'll be wiped out.

Also, don't forget to keep the .img extension when you rename the mapset.

If you name it something like citynav2010.img, then if you do plan to change that mapset for the same but slightly different, then you'll know which .img file to delete.

Not sure if this makes sense to you, but if not, just ask!
03 ST 1300
10 990 SMR
Old 03-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #247
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Does the GPS simply look for .img files regardless of where they were stored? In otherwords, I don't have to point it to the card vs. the GPS itself (assuming I have multiple maps loaded).
As long as they're in the \garmin directory, it doesn't matter if it's on the card or the unit.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #248
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Garmin to Add Custom Symbols and Tracklog Improvements to Oregon x50

Update - a link to the Beta software is at the bottom of the post.

From the GPSFix Blog:

Here’s something bound to make Garmin Oregon 450 and 550 owners happy. Two new posts from Garmin on their trail tech blog indicate upcoming support for custom waypoint and geocache symbols and improved tracklogs. While the beta software doesn’t seem to be available yet the posts look promising.

Here’s a summary:

- Custom Symbols
- Create your own bitmap symbols, up to 32 pixels wide by 32 pixels high
- Override built-in waypoint or geocache symbols
- Add up to 56 new waypoint symbols

Tracklog improvements
Configure daily or weekly track archives
Change the color of the current tracklog
View archived tracks on the GPS
Use the stopwatch to start and stop archive tracks
Mark archived tracks as favorite saved tracks so they can be navigated, viewed, etc
Archive your favorite saved tracks

No word on whether either of these features will be available on the Dakota, Colorado or Oregon 300/400. Once the beta software is available I’ll be posting tips on how to use both new features.

End quote

Go to the GPSFix Blog here: http://www.gpsfix.net/custom-symbols...-improvements/

Here's a link to the Beta update.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 03-10-2010 at 01:25 PM
Old 03-11-2010, 07:00 AM   #249
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

New Oregon Software

Oregon x50 software version 3.26 Beta seems to work well for me - I installed it last night and played with it for about an hour now and haven't found any problems yet.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #250
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Oregon x50 software version 3.26 Beta seems to work well for me - I installed it last night and played with it for about an hour now and haven't found any problems yet.
Actually the 550 I have is rebooting repeatedly now so I don't think this version is working properly. I'm going back to the previous version 'til they get this fixed.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #251
Bent Peg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Actually the 550 I have is rebooting repeatedly now so I don't think this version is working properly. I'm going back to the previous version 'til they get this fixed.
Ditto here.

Just bought one and installed the Beta 3.26. Worked for a while, now it shuts down after doing minor route editing by itself. Mine doesn't auto re-boot when it stops, I need to restart it manually.

Back to 3.20 for the time being.

Loaded it with City Navigator 2010 (1.2 GB) and Garmin's 24K West Topos (3.9 GB I believe) and loading them both onto a Sandisk 8 GB micro SD card now. Renamed the *.img file for City Navigator to CityNavigator2010.img and the Topo 24K to Topo24K.img on the card. A bit slow to boot though as it sifts the card a while.

Hope this will work with the 3.20 firmware.

bp~
Bent Peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #252
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Peg
Ditto here.

Just bought one and installed the Beta 3.26. Worked for a while, now it shuts down after doing minor route editing by itself. Mine doesn't auto re-boot when it stops, I need to restart it manually.
I went back to 3.20 for a day then when the unit had not misbehaved once on that version I went up to 3.26 again. I used the unit all day long today and not once did I have the spontaneous reboot issue.

Go figure...
Old 03-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #253
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,729
Quote:
Ditto here.

Loaded it with City Navigator 2010 (1.2 GB) and Garmin's 24K West Topos (3.9 GB I believe) and loading them both onto a Sandisk 8 GB micro SD card now. Renamed the *.img file for City Navigator to CityNavigator2010.img and the Topo 24K to Topo24K.img on the card. A bit slow to boot though as it sifts the card a while.

Hope this will work with the 3.20 firmware.

bp~
Do you have to run the maps from the SD card? You can not have both city navigator and the topo 24k in the built in storage space of the Oregon itself?

Lion
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #254
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:

You've probably already noticed - it will only be slow to boot the first time you load new maps to the Oregon - after it's seen the maps once it won't ever take so long, except when you load a fresh set of maps.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #255
Bent Peg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
So far it seems to be running fine on firmware 3.20 with Topo 24K West and City Navigator both loaded onto a 8 GB microSD card. Does boot faster the second time around. That beta version was a crasher after a day or so.

My only issue is with Basecamp. Seems I get the old files loaded on it each time I start it. Somehow it writes the old routes and waypoints each time and renumbers them as 'Home' becomes 'Home1' etc. Not as easy to use as Mapsource.

I recalculate them on the Oregon and make sure the waypoint names are edited correctly, just Basecamp messes up the names by adding a number at the end after it gets plugged in, and it also shows the numbering change in the Properties part of Basecamp.

I did find a bug that seems to shut mine down immediately with 3.20. Try "Waypoint Manager" > Select some waypoint shown (top two) > pressing "Change Comment" will shut it off immediately. Dunno what's up with that?

Also, Basecamp doesn't work with their Heart Rate cadence belt either. No logging, just shows the immediate HR number on the Oregon display. Won't import HR data into their fitness software either. That feature needs fixing as it appears the Oregon 550t isn't adopted into their fitness software...yet.

bp~
Bent Peg is offline   Reply With Quote