ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 06:48 AM   #16
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,655
Brian's post reminds me of something I forgot to mention in my post above.

I had no trouble using the touch-screen even with my thick winter riding gloves on. Even hitting small buttons was no problem.

And yeah, I've noticed too that the Oregon chews through batteries if you don't plug it in.

--mark

PS: I recorded a track of yesterday's ride, and its accuracy is pretty impressive.

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #17
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Followup: gorgeous day today, got out for a ride on my XR650L with the Oregon mounted up and plugged in, had absolutely no problem reading it in any light conditions. This included bright sunlight, both directly on the screen and with the screen facing away from the sun. Even riding into the sun, with road spray on my face shield catching the sunlight, I could still read the Oregon's screen without a problem.

Again, the caveat is that the Oregon HAS to be plugged into external power.

--mark

Old 02-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #18
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,335
Garmin misses the point-AGAIN

I tried the Colorado 400t- sent it back...as it lacked simple, mutiple color,track-keeping functionality. A pretty basic need for me. Now they've repackaged it in the Oregon....ack!
I use my handheld GPSs for Search & Rescue and put them through some basic but rough paces. The 400t was great but the battery life and lack of the above features were a joke.
Garmin should fire this iPod/iPhone inspired design team (or at least relegate them to non-serious user group products ) and get back to what they used to do best-simple, reliable and pathfinding technology....grrrrrrrrr

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP

Rubber Cow screwed with this post 02-08-2009 at 09:12 PM
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #19
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Um... have you actually USED an Oregon?

It absolutely has simple, multiple-color, track-keeping functionality. And it can display them simultaneously.

I think this functionality has been added to the Colorado as well via software/firmware updates... but regardless, the Oregon is actually not simply a Colorado with a touch screen. There are a number of differences in the software.

--mark

Old 02-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #20
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt
Um... have you actually USED an Oregon?

It absolutely has simple, multiple-color, track-keeping functionality. And it can display them simultaneously.

I think this functionality has been added to the Colorado as well via software/firmware updates... but regardless, the Oregon is actually not simply a Colorado with a touch screen. There are a number of differences in the software.

--mark
Okay, thanks for the update....how's the battery life on the Oregon?
I went through three rounds of firmware upgrades to fix a few other problems on the Colorado-unfortunately none to add the simoultaneously displayed multiple-track capability. Unfortunately the Garmin rep had misinformed me about the Oregon at the time I called to inquire about it in November/December.
I'll have to check them out again.

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP

Rubber Cow screwed with this post 02-09-2009 at 06:50 PM
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #21
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

The Oregon's battery life isn't bad if you keep the backlight off, but then the screen is pretty much only legible in direct sunlight. In most other conditions, you need to have the backlight on full, and even then it can sometimes be difficult to read -- and with the backlight on, the Oregon chews through batteries fairly quickly. When you plug it into external power, as on a motorcycle, the screen gets significantly brighter and legibility isn't a problem, but obviously this doesn't help you when you're hiking.

That said, you can set an interval after which the Oregon automatically turns off its backlight, so for hiking purposes you can always just use the backlight momentarily. In this case you ought to be able to get decent life out of a pair of AA's.

--mark

Old 03-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #22
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

For those who are curious about the Oregon's legibility in direct sunlight, I got a pic while out for a ride yesterday:

If you're wondering why the background is solid blue, it's because I was on a causeway over a lake.

--mark

Old 03-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #23
radiohead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
If you're wondering why the background is solid blue, it's because I was on a causeway over a lake.
--mark
Thanks for the image.. How would you compare the screen readability compared to for instance SP2720/SP2820, 60CSX or 278c?

The idea of terrain shading is quite tempting to me when improvising and making ad-hoc routes as it should give a bit better overview when looking for where to go etc, but the coverage for Sweden (400t) is really poor so I think I'd go for the 200 or 300 given there's worldwide DEM built in.

Could you possibly post some more screenshots when zoomed out and when showing some more detail than the previous screenshot? I'm mainly interested in the screen readbility in sunlight (assuming external power) and in how well it renders detail using the terrain shading when zoomed out.

Many thanks..
radiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #24
x650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
nice pic Mark.

have you got any with the power cord yanked out of it?
x650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:48 AM   #25
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead
Thanks for the image.. How would you compare the screen readability compared to for instance SP2720/SP2820, 60CSX or 278c?
I haven't used any of those units, so can't say. From what I've read, though, the 60CSx is a little brighter in direct sunlight because the reflective surface behind the LCD panel is a brighter shade of silver... but apparently the 60's backlight is dimmer than the Oregon's so once you get into shadows it's harder to read.

Which brings up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by x650
have you got any with the power cord yanked out of it?
I don't, but in direct sunlight it would be the same as the pic above. The screen is transflective, so in direct sunlight the reflective background behind the LCD panel reflects more light than the backlight is capable of putting out. Where the backlight comes into play is in shadows (including when the display is facing away from the sun) or on very overcast days. I haven't bothered to run it on the bike without external power plugged in, but with external power, the backlight is adequate. It's not as bright as a Zumo or something, but it's legible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead
The idea of terrain shading is quite tempting to me when improvising and making ad-hoc routes as it should give a bit better overview when looking for where to go etc, but the coverage for Sweden (400t) is really poor so I think I'd go for the 200 or 300 given there's worldwide DEM built in.
FYI, the built-in basemap has very little detail, especially as far as accurate terrain shading is concerned. You would want to install a topo map. Perhaps you can find some better ones of Sweden at GPSfiledepot.com or some similar site.

Quote:
Could you possibly post some more screenshots when zoomed out and when showing some more detail than the previous screenshot? I'm mainly interested in the screen readbility in sunlight (assuming external power) and in how well it renders detail using the terrain shading when zoomed out.
I don't have any screenshots that are really relevant to what you're asking, and as I said, the built-in basemap's terrain shading is fairly useless. But here is what a topo map, for example, looks like on the Oregon (as you zoom out the rendering quality stays the same, but detail decreases):

--mark

Old 03-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #26
radiohead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
I don't have any screenshots that are really relevant to what you're asking, and as I said, the built-in basemap's terrain shading is fairly useless. But here is what a topo map, for example, looks like on the Oregon (as you zoom out the rendering quality stays the same, but detail decreases):
--mark
We have a topo map for Sweden which is ok when you are zoomed in but if you zoom out to let say, 5-10km, to get an overview, the topomap with height vectors doesn't work very well (too cluttered if it shows at all). What I'd like is to be able to have a "clean" CityNav like display but with the terrain shading underneath. I don't know how poor the worldwide DEM resolution is but if it's sufficent to give be a reasonable overview at 5-10km, that's fine for me. When zoomed in I'll use the swedish vector based topo map anyway.
radiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #27
smeagol
Beemer Virgin

Oddometer: 100
For clarity, after reading several threads on this...

What can a 76csx do that the Oregon 300/400 series can't?? Besides float...

Me likey the Oregon 300... small unit, purty colours

I've heard discussion about it "handles tracks differently." I'm new to the GPS thing, can someone elaborate on that as well please, just a brief bare bones explanation is fine.

brum-brum!! I has a motorbikes!
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #28
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol
I've heard discussion about it "handles tracks differently." I'm new to the GPS thing, can someone elaborate on that as well please, just a brief bare bones explanation is fine.
This oughta getcha started: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...+versus+routes
Old 03-26-2009, 07:45 AM   #29
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

That link isn't exactly a brief bare bones explanation!

My understanding is that the 76 series, 60 series, and Oregon series handle tracks in more or less the same way. They can all record tracks, display tracks (in user-definable colors), and follow tracks.

Personally, I'm very happy with my Oregon 300. My only complaint about it is that it's a bit stupid about recalculating a route if I deviate from where it's told me to go. Sometimes it's fine, but sometimes it decides that some intersection that I've bypassed is crucial and tries to route me back to it before continuing on to the next via point. This is simply poorly-written software, and apparently the 60 series (and presumably the 76 series) has the same issue. Hopefully Garmin's developers will work out this bug in a software update eventually.

--mark

Old 03-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #30
smeagol
Beemer Virgin

Oddometer: 100
when you're using city nav on the oregon, can you search for a specific address directly on the unit and have it generate a route for you??

reason I ask is that I was playing with a 300 the other day, and went to the "where to" tab and it didn't have an "address" tab like my Nuvi does...

maybe a tab appears when you use city nav??

brum-brum!! I has a motorbikes!
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote