ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #286
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 978
A couple more power options since the ones poster so far were less than ideal.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Hardwir...pr_product_top

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...d.php?t=569860

I went with the USB connector so I would have the flexibility of using it with my iPhone as well as my Oregon.

A third choice would be a powerlet socket with a powerlet to mini usb connector but that would definitely be the most expensive way to go though probably the most flexible as far as powering all sorts of gadgets is concerned.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #287
JustinT
I will ride my whole life

Oddometer: 941
Sorry it took so long...

But here is the rt angle connector hard wired into my truck,

And on the bike,

I just cut the insulation off the plug and bent it and used liquid electrical tape to build up and support it a straight plug in my situation was too long and got in the way. No problems so far. (I also opened the plug and shorted the 4 and X pin so it doesn't think its a mass storage device!) I couldn't imagine the Rt Angle pointing forward...that with the extra cable would be too obtrusive and more likely to get hung in my opinion

JustinT screwed with this post 05-19-2010 at 07:03 AM
JustinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #288
BCBackRoads
Travels with Gumby

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughtwg
Hopefully this isn't the dreaded 90 degree USB question but here goes anyways.

I purchsed one of the 90 degree USBs from earlier in the thread to run the unit off of my battery but the connector points to the front and not rear and doesn't full seat. Does anyone know if there are 90 degree USB connectors that will fully seat and have the cable point to the rear of the GPS?

This is the cable I bought btw
http://www.gpscity.com/gilsson-bare-...wer-cable.html

Thanks,
Hugh
I recently purchased a Garmin 450 from GPS City and they recommended this cable for mounting on the bike.

http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-power-a...-zumo-220.html

This cable angles to the front as well, but if you compare pictures of the two cables on the websites, this one has a different shape to it. The connector portion protrudes further from the angle and it fully seats into the GPS connector. As you can see in the following picture I have the cable mounted with a stress relief loop to the front. It clears my tank bag just fine and doesn't look like it will catch on anything. It's not in the way of the touch screen.

The voltage regulator is the small black rectangle strapped to the bar right below the GPS. Pin x must already be connected to ground as the unit goes right into GPS mode without asking about Mass Storage Mode. I shortened the cable at the other end by about 15 inches to fit the KLR.

I just had to connect power and ground near the battery. Here is a second shot showing the connector better.

Wayne

BCBackRoads screwed with this post 05-19-2010 at 06:30 PM
BCBackRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #289
mud390
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
What type of mount is this? ----^

Kris
mud390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #290
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
uploading tracks on Oregon 300

Am I doing something wrong?

I uploaded one track using mapsource and it showed up on the GPS. No problem. Then I uploaded another track and I can see it on the GPS, but the first one is gone.

I deleted every track on the gps to start all over again, but this time I placed both track on mapsource and uploaded them at the same time. It worked fine. Both tracks show up on the gps.

Opened up mapsource again, sent a third track and it erased the previous ones.

I tried again, this time all three at the same time. It worked.

Is there something wrong?

All three tracks are less than 2,500 points each, by the way.
Ozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #291
JustinT
I will ride my whole life

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud390
What type of mount is this? ----^

Kris
RAM
Old 05-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #292
Roam
If you want to

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBackRoads
I recently purchased a Garmin 450 from GPS City and they recommended this cable for mounting on the bike.

http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-power-a...-zumo-220.html

Wayne
Excellent write up. Options are good.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:27 PM   #293
BCBackRoads
Travels with Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz
Am I doing something wrong?

I uploaded one track using mapsource and it showed up on the GPS. No problem. Then I uploaded another track and I can see it on the GPS, but the first one is gone.

I deleted every track on the gps to start all over again, but this time I placed both track on mapsource and uploaded them at the same time. It worked fine. Both tracks show up on the gps.

Opened up mapsource again, sent a third track and it erased the previous ones.

I tried again, this time all three at the same time. It worked.

Is there something wrong?

All three tracks are less than 2,500 points each, by the way.
I think this is what's happening. When you send a route or a set of routes to the Oregon, all are stored in a single file stored on the main memory of the unit in the GPX folder in a new GPX file called "Temp".

If you send another route or set of routes it replaces the same file with the new route(s). That's why the first imported route set is disappearing.

On my unit I left a downloaded route for a day or so and I see that the "Temp" file has been renamed "Imported_17-MAY-10 092743 PM". I'm unsure of when that renaming took place but I didn't do it.

However, if you rename the "Temp" file immediately then send the new file, the new file with take the "Temp" name and both will be available.

Wayne
Old 05-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #294
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBackRoads
I think this is what's happening. When you send a route or a set of routes to the Oregon, all are stored in a single file stored on the main memory of the unit in the GPX folder in a new GPX file called "Temp".

If you send another route or set of routes it replaces the same file with the new route(s). That's why the first imported route set is disappearing.

On my unit I left a downloaded route for a day or so and I see that the "Temp" file has been renamed "Imported_17-MAY-10 092743 PM". I'm unsure of when that renaming took place but I didn't do it.

However, if you rename the "Temp" file immediately then send the new file, the new file with take the "Temp" name and both will be available.

Wayne
If that is case, that I have to rename the "temp" file every time I upload a track, then there is probably something wrong with my folders and/or files in the gps. It seems to me that I should be able to upload tracks with out having to do that.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:22 AM   #295
BCBackRoads
Travels with Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz
If that is case, that I have to rename the "temp" file every time I upload a track, then there is probably something wrong with my folders and/or files in the gps. It seems to me that I should be able to upload tracks with out having to do that.
Well, you're right, Garmin should have designed the program so that it uniquely identified the file right away. For some reason it renames it later with the date and time, and there is no reason it couldn't do that right away.

It's the same situation when you load a map set. You have to rename the file to prevent overwriting when you load a second map set.

However, it's an easy work around once you know about it so it doesn't really bother me.

Wayne
Old 05-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #296
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Garmin has made it painfully clear they're not making these devices to be user friendly. I think their engineers really should try using the hardware they're writing the software for...
EmmEff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #297
Roam
If you want to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz
I know that you have to rename maps when you copy them over, but I've had no trouble copying multiple tracks over. I don't know if routes are handled differently.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #298
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I know that you have to rename maps when you copy them over, but I've had no trouble copying multiple tracks over. I don't know if routes are handled differently.
When you copy multiple tracks, are they all listed in one file, meaning, when you open mapsource, are they all listed down on the space at the left under "tracks" or do you send them one at a time from different files?

Once you have several tracks on your gps, have you tried sending a "route" from a new file? Just wondering what it would do?

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #299
Roam
If you want to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz
When you copy multiple tracks, are they all listed in one file, meaning, when you open mapsource, are they all listed down on the space at the left under "tracks" or do you send them one at a time from different files?

Once you have several tracks on your gps, have you tried sending a "route" from a new file? Just wondering what it would do?

Thanks for your input.
I use BaseCamp and not map source that might be the source of the problem. I copy everything over all at once. I haven't looked to see what the files are named on my GPS but they all show up when I go to the tracks menu.

I haven't created any routes yet.sorry.

I think you might be better off asking a mapsource thread because I don't think it's an Oregon issue.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #300
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I use BaseCamp and not map source that might be the source of the problem. I copy everything over all at once. I haven't looked to see what the files are named on my GPS but they all show up when I go to the tracks menu.

I haven't created any routes yet.sorry.

I think you might be better off asking a mapsource thread because I don't think it's an Oregon issue.
You maybe right about it being a mapsource problem...now that I think about it, I think the problem started after I updated mapsource. Thanks.