ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 06:38 AM   #31
nvblue
fuddyduddy

Oddometer: 34
Yes, When using the - where to button - you can search for a specific address.
nvblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #32
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,642
Update:

Went out for a longish ride on my XR650L on Saturday and began having issues with the power connection to the Oregon. The vibration seemed to break the connection every so often for just the slightest moment -- but enough time so that the Oregon kept telling me a USB cable was detected and asking if I wanted to go to mass storage mode. Very annoying. I ended up unplugging it and running on battery power with the backlight off (which, incidentally, worked fine in direct sunlight, and was still just barely legible in shadows).

When I got home I tried plugging the Oregon into my computer for power (with a different cable) but could not reproduce this intermittent power-loss issue. I think the problem is in the plug on the Powerlet-USB cord, not in the Oregon itself.

It would also help to get the adapter that converts the cable to a power-only one so the Oregon doesn't ask if mass storage mode is desired. This way even if power is interrupted momentarily, the unit shouldn't put up dialog boxes requiring user input.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:56 PM   #33
Malifice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt
Update:

Went out for a longish ride on my XR650L on Saturday and began having issues with the power connection to the Oregon. The vibration seemed to break the connection every so often for just the slightest moment -- but enough time so that the Oregon kept telling me a USB cable was detected and asking if I wanted to go to mass storage mode. Very annoying. I ended up unplugging it and running on battery power with the backlight off (which, incidentally, worked fine in direct sunlight, and was still just barely legible in shadows).

When I got home I tried plugging the Oregon into my computer for power (with a different cable) but could not reproduce this intermittent power-loss issue. I think the problem is in the plug on the Powerlet-USB cord, not in the Oregon itself.

It would also help to get the adapter that converts the cable to a power-only one so the Oregon doesn't ask if mass storage mode is desired. This way even if power is interrupted momentarily, the unit shouldn't put up dialog boxes requiring user input.

--mark
With the imminent release of the Oregon 550, did you have any success with this problem?

Still happeneing/ Find a way to resolve it?
Malifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #34
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malifice
With the imminent release of the Oregon 550, did you have any success with this problem?

Still happeneing/ Find a way to resolve it?
I fixed the problem by cutting off the MiniUSB plug on the end of the Powerlet cable and splicing on one from a known-good MiniUSB cable. It works fine now and has survived heat, dust, mud, and heavy rain without issue.

Other people, I've heard, have bought the Garmin car power cable for the Oregon (it's different from the Colorado one, FYI) and spliced a Powerlet plug on in place of the cigarette-lighter plug, while retaining the step-down electronics built into the cigarette-lighter plug.

--mark

Old 06-25-2009, 02:26 AM   #35
Malifice
Adventurer

Quote:
I fixed the problem by cutting off the MiniUSB plug on the end of the Powerlet cable and splicing on one from a known-good MiniUSB cable. It works fine now and has survived heat, dust, mud, and heavy rain without issue.

Other people, I've heard, have bought the Garmin car power cable for the Oregon (it's different from the Colorado one, FYI) and spliced a Powerlet plug on in place of the cigarette-lighter plug, while retaining the step-down electronics built into the cigarette-lighter plug.

--mark
Excellent - thanks for that mate.

Got an Oregon 550 on pre-order at the moment - will be fiddling around with it in a few weeks time. Might be forced to PM you when the time comes for installation tips.

Supposedly the back light on the new 550 and 550t are brighter than in previous models.... coupled with the nuclear power plant ill be rigging her up to that is a Yamaha WR250R, I shouldn't have any problems with screen visibility.

I note in your earlier posts that the visibility issue on the Oregon isn't all that bad when wired up to a bike... which is good because that was nearly a deal breaker for me.

Thanks again, and if you have any more pointers, Id be interested to hear them!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:02 AM   #36
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malifice
I note in your earlier posts that the visibility issue on the Oregon isn't all that bad when wired up to a bike... which is good because that was nearly a deal breaker for me.
Screen legibility has not been an issue for me at all as long as the Oregon is plugged in. On a sunny day it does fine unplugged with the backlight turned off too.

I've got to say that I've been very happy with the Oregon. It's exceeded my expectations.

--mark

Old 06-25-2009, 07:20 AM   #37
Malifice
Adventurer

Quote:
Screen legibility has not been an issue for me at all as long as the Oregon is plugged in. On a sunny day it does fine unplugged with the backlight turned off too.

I've got to say that I've been very happy with the Oregon. It's exceeded my expectations.

--mark
Cheers!

It was your comments like this in a different thread (The Colorado thread) that persuaded me in the end.

Its very bright over here in Western Australia... we get heaps of sun all year round and the weight of reviews roundly condemned the screen brightness. However it appears as if the majority of those condemning the screen were using the Oregon on purely battery power.

From the photos you've posted in another thread, and based on the above comment, it looks like this problem is ameliorated somewhat by running direct from vehicle power.

Also the 550 has (supposedly) a better back light.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:38 AM   #38
kjames
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
i bought the 200 after loosing my 60cs off the bike.

i find its a huge improvement. I mainly ride desert's so its just popping in a waypoint and straight lining. So i don't use much of the routing side of things.

I run it off recharegable batteries and have no real complaints about the screen.
The battery connections are a lot better than the 60cs and don't rattle loose with the vibes from the bike.

I didnt bother with the 300 or 400 as topo maps arent available for the areas i ride and i dont think id use any of the other feature.

the adding waypoints is simple, due to the on screen keyboard. All works with gloves on.

all in all. i'm very happy.

K
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #39
dgtj2000
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Love mine

I have the 400t and love it. I use Energizer Rechargeable 2500mAh NiMH batterys. They last @ 5.5 hours at full backlight. That gets me 11 hours before I need to use the charger. I use the Energizer quick charger and have full battery in 15min.
dgtj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:17 AM   #40
PerfectStranger
Systema Encéphale

Oddometer: 366
Oregon 400T user also. It's been great. Wired the Garmin plug for the Oregon into the bike's power. Mounted unit using RAM components. Their holder for the unit is awesome...nice and tight, no slipping or rattling. Not an off-roader but it's been through two huge downpours on the road without issue.
PerfectStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:23 PM   #41
YamWOW!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460

Oregon 400T mounted on my WR250R. Gps did take a dump on me. Just faded out when I turned it on. I hope the replacement will last longer.

Check out the WR250R/X forum: CLICK HERE
Check out the Pacific NW DualSport Forum: CLICK HERE
KTM 530 EXC-R
BMW F800GS
YamWOW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:59 AM   #42
Malifice
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamWOW!

Oregon 400T mounted on my WR250R. Gps did take a dump on me. Just faded out when I turned it on. I hope the replacement will last longer.
Similar set up to what im looking for on my WR250R (Will be going the Touratech mount for extra security, and will be mounting the new Oregon 550).

Any more photos with her working?
Old 08-05-2009, 04:59 AM   #43
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,465
I ran into a deal at BestBuy on a 400t.
My 885T went tits up and I got the Oregon 400t and a cheapy Nuvi for the truck.

I ordered a hardwire kit and Ram mount from GPSCity.com. (GREAT service BTW). I have not been home yet to mount it all.

I have been playing with the Oregon in the big rig and bought the new City Nav NT. I promptly learned that topo is almost impossible to disable, so I copied it over to the PC and deleted it off the Oregon. I updated the software to 3.10.

The screen and interface is easy enough to read and navigate. I even was able to put my 6 most used icons on the first page. The ceramic antenea is not the best in my big rig, but if I walk around or move it closer to the windsheild it works great. I assume it being on the LuCy4 it will hold signal well. I'll know in a day or two.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #44
sassage
Wanderer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper
I ran into a deal at BestBuy on a 400t.
My 885T went tits up and I got the Oregon 400t and a cheapy Nuvi for the truck.

I ordered a hardwire kit and Ram mount from GPSCity.com. (GREAT service BTW). I have not been home yet to mount it all.

I have been playing with the Oregon in the big rig and bought the new City Nav NT. I promptly learned that topo is almost impossible to disable, so I copied it over to the PC and deleted it off the Oregon. I updated the software to 3.10.

The screen and interface is easy enough to read and navigate. I even was able to put my 6 most used icons on the first page. The ceramic antenea is not the best in my big rig, but if I walk around or move it closer to the windsheild it works great. I assume it being on the LuCy4 it will hold signal well. I'll know in a day or two.
what was the price you found for the Oregon 400T?

1994 Honda XR650L
2002 Honda VTX1800C/R/F
2000 Honda VTR1000F Superhawk
2000 Ducati 996
sassage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #45
Cavi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
okay I own an 60CX , and I had a Colorado which I sold to buy the 60 as the display was not great without full backlight plus tourtech did not make a mount for it. Anyway my 60 will most likely go in for service and I want a Oregon as a backup unit. I own the topo 08 and topo 24k, so I do not need them preloaded. I do want to be able to plug into external power. Will a 200 work for this or do I really need a 300?
Cavi is offline   Reply With Quote