ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #451
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
I wish that I knew how to get rid of the push pin once it is there.
Just click the Back arrow in the lower left.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #452
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I had a few minutes so I recorded a short video, no sound except ambient noise, but you can clearly see the map being scrolled, and then I create a pushpin (not a cursor - my mistake) and as you position map details under the pushpin the relevant info shows up above the map.
Emmy - You using a screen protector on your Oregon? I do and I have to really bear down to pan. Is there a setting for this?

Thanks for the vid.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #453
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
Emmy - You using a screen protector on your Oregon? I do and I have to really bear down to pan. Is there a setting for this?
pardon my jumping in, but for what it's worth, I'm using a Zagging screen protector and don't find I need to apply excessive pressure to pan.

On the same topic, I'd highly recommend screen protection given that the screen could be easily scratched due to dirty/dusty fingertips.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #454
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
pardon my jumping in, but for what it's worth, I'm using a Zagging screen protector and don't find I need to apply excessive pressure to pan.

On the same topic, I'd highly recommend screen protection given that the screen could be easily scratched due to dirty/dusty fingertips.
Thanks for the reply. I do have a screen protector (don't remember what kind) and I really have to put some pressure on the screen to pan and even then it's kind of jerky. Thought this was normal till I saw the video and how he was (it looked like to me) was just lightly using his finger tip to glide around the map. Also how do you get the white background? Is it a photo of a white background?
Old 04-27-2011, 03:06 AM   #455
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I do have a screen protector (don't remember what kind) and I really have to put some pressure on the screen to pan and even then it's kind of jerky. Thought this was normal till I saw the video and how he was (it looked like to me) was just lightly using his finger tip to glide around the map. Also how do you get the white background? Is it a photo of a white background?
I don't have a screen protector on this Oregon. I did on my original one, but when I sent it in for repair I didn't bother taking it off. I find it doesn't make much of a difference in my situation.

Re: the white background. Yes, that is a picture used as a background. Got the file here: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/M...20readability?

There's also more information on how to make the visibility better here: http://www.gpsfix.net/?p=146
Old 04-27-2011, 03:06 AM   #456
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
I use the Zaggs protector also and have just got in the habit of using a fingernail. Zaggs protects it from fingernail scratches and moves without problems
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #457
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Just click the Back arrow in the lower left.
Of course that works but you have to zoom or move the screen again to the previous spot. Sometimes I accidentally touch the screen and drop a pin and wish that I could remove it without going back.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #458
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
Of course that works but you have to zoom or move the screen again to the previous spot. Sometimes I accidentally touch the screen and drop a pin and wish that I could remove it without going back.
I agree this is a real pain. Any work around?
Old 04-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #459
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I agree this is a real pain. Any work around?
I don't have my Oregon with me here so I can't check, but I thought it was possible to make it disappear without losing the current view. It could be something like using a wider touch surface, like the pad on your finger rather than the fingertip? Worth a try. I'll check later on mine.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #460
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
@Emmbeedee: thank you for the video.
Panning works as I hoped. I didn't know the pushpin yet, so learned something else.
Schannulleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #461
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I don't have my Oregon with me here so I can't check, but I thought it was possible to make it disappear without losing the current view. It could be something like using a wider touch surface, like the pad on your finger rather than the fingertip? Worth a try. I'll check later on mine.
Nope, if there is a way of removing the pushpin without closing the window, I can't see it. But it is easy to scroll the map screen without dropping a pushpin...
Old 05-15-2011, 08:06 AM   #462
Smoker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
How does the Oregon communicate with the zumo?

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I am going on a ride with a ride leader with a zumo 665. Can the Oregon share routes with the zumos?
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:13 AM   #463
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I am going on a ride with a ride leader with a zumo 665. Can the Oregon share routes with the zumos?
Only if you have access to a computer to plug each device into in turn. The Zumo has no wireless capabilities.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #464
O'Ren
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
This thread should be a sticky, it's sometimes buried after a few days of non activity and it's a shame because it really gives TONS of useful info on the Oregon. Many thanks to everyone who participated in it, it's really really great to be able to get so much valuable info.

After reading it, asking a few questions in the 101 section and comparing devices, I think I'll go with the 450. Before I order it, I have a few questions, just to make sure I got everything right:

1. The only difference with the 550 is the camera. It was said some pages back that their was also a difference in the number of routes/tracks it can record but the Garmin website doesn't show that anymore, can someone confirm ?

2. Has anyone experienced issues with their 450 because of bike vibrations ? What about dust/dirt ? (i'm talking days of riding on non-asphalt roads)

3. How long would batteries last if the device is constantly with its screen ON ? Is it possible to prevent it to go to sleep mode ?

4. What are the best batteries to use for a very long trip with the 450 ? I heard about some rechargeable batteries that are better than others, but can't decide what to pick..

5. Can you please confirm that with a 450 , I can :

- record and export my route to my Mac and make a map/image of it to share it with my mum so she can see where I've been to
- record and export a track and do the same as above
- create my own route on the Mac and have the GPS follow it without trying to be smart about it and change it
- upload any free map made for Garmin device (is there a type of maps/files the 450 is known not to handle?)
- use as many maps as I want using micro SD cards if the internal memory isn't enough
- create POIs and waypoints, and export them to another Garmin device or make them available for other people to import to their device if compatible

6. The 450 does not speak street names or directions. Instead it beeps when close to turning (and lights up the screen). But if I load a turn-by-turn map, will it speak the oncoming turns ? Will it speak the street names ?

7. Can you hear the up-coming turn "beep" while riding ? Or do you just use the "light up the screen" feature ?

Your turn to type !
O'Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:18 AM   #465
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Ren View Post
Before I order it, I have a few questions, just to make sure I got everything right:

1. The only difference with the 550 is the camera. It was said some pages back that their was also a difference in the number of routes/tracks it can record but the Garmin website doesn't show that anymore, can someone confirm ? I think the tracks/routes/waypoints/POIs are the same between the 450 and 550 but I don't own both so can't confirm

2. Has anyone experienced issues with their 450 because of bike vibrations ? What about dust/dirt ? (i'm talking days of riding on non-asphalt roads) I don't have the answer to this - I don't have a problem with vibrations or the touch screen, but I don't do days of off road riding. We do lots of it, but not extended trips

3. How long would batteries last if the device is constantly with its screen ON ? Depends on the batteries - see 4Is it possible to prevent it to go to sleep mode ?Yes

4. What are the best batteries to use for a very long trip with the 450 ? I heard about some rechargeable batteries that are better than others, but can't decide what to pick..NiZn, like the PowerGenix brand - they last a very long time and are rechargeable

5. Can you please confirm that with a 450 , I can :

- record and export my route to my Mac and make a map/image of it to share it with my mum so she can see where I've been to This is called a track, and can be exported and displayed on a map screen, but you might want to check out Spot, which will display the same in real time, online
- record and export a track and do the same as above See above (but in a nutshell, a track is where you've been, and a route is where you're planning to go)
- create my own route on the Mac and have the GPS follow it without trying to be smart about it and change it As long as you have the same maps on both the gps and computer then yes, you can. But with the Oregon, if you use Basecamp, you can see the maps on the gps via the computer, if the gps is connected to the computer
- upload any free map made for Garmin device (is there a type of maps/files the 450 is known not to handle?) In theory, yes
- use as many maps as I want using micro SD cards if the internal memory isn't enough Yes
- create POIs and waypoints, and export them to another Garmin device or make them available for other people to import to their device if compatible Yes, and even send them wirelessly, if it's a Colorado, Dakota, Oregon, Montana or 62/78 as they all have that capability

6. The 450 does not speak street names or directions. Instead it beeps when close to turning (and lights up the screen). But if I load a turn-by-turn map, will it speak the oncoming turns ? Will it speak the street names ? The Oregon does not have a speaker so all you'll ever hear is tones no matter what maps you have.

7. Can you hear the up-coming turn "beep" while riding ? Or do you just use the "light up the screen" feature ? If you let the screen go blank to save the batteries, then the screen lights up when necessary to indicate a turn. I find this is good enough, if the gps is not hardwired in and always on

Your turn to type !
See the bold text within your message for my responses...

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-31-2011 at 04:25 AM