ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #481
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBackRoads View Post
I've since changed out the USB connector on both of the other cables last fall and all three cables are still working just fine on my 450.

I'm thinking from my experience that the USB connectors on the supplied cables are a bit inferior. Is it possible that others are experiencing poor quality USB connectors on the cables and not on the unit itself?
Where do you find these better connectors?
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #482
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
+1 - hep a brudda' out!
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:59 AM   #483
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBackRoads View Post
I started experiencing a flaky connection on both cables after about 4 months of use. However, I had a third cable I had made up myself with a 5V regulator and a regular USB cable adapted to a Cell phone charger. This one seemed to be a more solid connection and still worked fine.

I've since changed out the USB connector on both of the other cables last fall and all three cables are still working just fine on my 450.

I'm thinking from my experience that the USB connectors on the supplied cables are a bit inferior. Is it possible that others are experiencing poor quality USB connectors on the cables and not on the unit itself?

That's a good point. I had a Powerlet cable for my Oregon, and the Mini-USB plug didn't seem to be built to the right spec. It fit rather loosely and would lose contact intermittently. Soldering a different plug onto the end solved the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
I just cut one off a known-good Mini-USB cable.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #484
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 281
Oregon USB Connection

When we made that psudo-seal for our Oregon (see post #414) we used dielectric grease as a mold release. Since we found that we don't need the waterproofing I'm considering just bonding the USB plug to the GPS so it becomes part of it. That should keep vibration from trashing the contacts.
I don't care if the GPS has a dongle all of the time. Our Garmin Power cables are short (9", 12" or 18") so it doesn't get in the way when it's in my pocket. Also the USB cable plugs directly into our TAPP Lite USB power port so there is no bulky cigarette lighter type adapter on the other end.
We also used a tiny cable tie to secure the cable to the lanyard slots to keep it from moving around. I will do this even tho the plug is bonded to the GPS.
Thoughts?
-Shov
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #485
BCBackRoads
Travels with Gumby

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
As Markbvt stated, I just cut the mini USB plug off of a standard USB-minUSB cable. It seemed to be a much tighter fit and has worked well for me. I was too lazy to wire in the resistor between the other pins so every time I plug it in spanner mode, it asks if I want to go into mass storage mode. Push no and all ok, no big deal for me.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:40 AM   #486
O'Ren
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
But if it's the supplied USB cable that's the issue here, surely Embeedee wouldn't have had to send his Oregon 3times already to change the USB part, no ?

I'm not using the Garmin supplied cable because I have plenty of mini USB cables lying around my computer, but it's good to know maybe staying away from the Garmin cable can help. Thank you all for sharing !
O'Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:42 AM   #487
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,655
The Garmin cable wasn't the issue for me because I didn't have it. I was using an aftermarket Powerlet-to-MiniUSB cable (a Powerlet one, to be exact). That's the one that seemed to have an out-of-spec plug on the end.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:33 AM   #488
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
So, it is a screw-in connector with surface connections to the main board. Should be a cinch to replace.

I wonder if we can get Garmin to replace only that for a nominal fee? Will phone them today and ask.
any idea where we might be able to purchase the screw in connector? ive got connection issues but would love to be ale to fit it this easily. are the screws under the battery cover a standard allen key head?

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:02 AM   #489
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
any idea where we might be able to purchase the screw in connector? ive got connection issues but would love to be ale to fit it this easily. are the screws under the battery cover a standard allen key head?
No idea where to get that part on its own. To get it from Garmin would cost $100, the price of a refurbished Oregon, in exchange for yours... And the screws are likely Torx, the same as what holds the Oregon together...
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #490
brfinley
Brooster

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
Why look for another damn miniUSB connector? Can anyone find or make a surface mount connector for the new cradle connector as used on the Montana, or the old 4-pin round connector as on the 60 series? If someone would make some of those, I think it would save a lot of otherwise nice Oregons from the junk drawer. Maybe RAM could make a cradle for Oregon+Montana connector.
brfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #491
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
No idea where to get that part on its own. To get it from Garmin would cost $100, the price of a refurbished Oregon, in exchange for yours... And the screws are likely Torx, the same as what holds the Oregon together...
unfortunately this is australia and it will cost me $262.30 (to replace a $10 part!) after speaking to them on the phone. i could sell this one for $100 and spend an extra $100 on top of the replacement price to get a new one with a warranty.

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
and facebook https://www.facebook.com/oztoice
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #492
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 301
hardwire

Just bought a garmin 450 and want to hardwire it. Is this the correct Garmin Part number that I need? 010-11131-00

What do I do with all those wires?
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #493
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Mystery Cable

JT- this is an interesting one. That cable doesn't show up on the Garmin site if you use their search box and yet if you Google search the number this Garmin page shows up.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=26668
However, we can only guess how it works. It is compatible with all of the Garmin GPS that have a USB power port so that lump in the cable must be a 5VDC regulator. Also, it appears to have a USB Type B mini connector at the GPS end. Last but not least, they call it Serial Data/Power cable. The key is "Serial".
Here's our best guess:
Two wires are power and ground.
Two wires are Data+ & Data -
The fifth wire is a mystery unless it is a shield drain wire which is sometimes used with RS232 serial connectors (DB9).
Whatever the case it looks as though you could cut off the data wires and just use power and ground.
The only downside I can see is that straight USB Type B mini connector. USB Mini connectors aren't the most robust connectors to begin with and a straight connector has a lot of overhanging load. The other is that I'm not sure it will clear a mount such as the RAM.
I would suggest that you go with a generic USB power port and a separate USB Garmin power cable. This has the advantage of giving you a USB power port that can be used for other devices such as cell phones, or MP3 player and a USB cable that you know will work with a RAM cradle or other mount.
This is not a vendor forum so I can't tout our products but I can be democratic and suggest a USB power port from CycleNutz, BurnsMoto or of course the best of all our TAPP Lite. The Garmin power cable is only available from us as far as we know. More info here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666156
If you go this way, don't forget to strap the USB Mini connector to the Oregon using the lanyard holes as shown earlier in this thread. It will help keep the connector from coming apart, which unfortunately they are prone to due under heavy vibration.

Which brings up another downside to the 010-11131-00 hardwired solution. If the USB connector fails on that cable you have to replace the whole thing all the way back to the battery. With a USB Power port and Garmin power cable, a failure of the USB mini connector means that you only have to unplug the power cable from the power port and plug in a new one.
Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.
-Shov
Old 09-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #494
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 301
Sounds like what you are suggesting to order is 202-0040-12 and 150-0034-01? Just making sure. If so is there a combo pack?
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #495
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

USB Power Stuff

That should do it.
We have a pretty unsophisticated website with no way to handle coupons or discounted items. However, if you send an email to sales@3brpowersports.com with JTMAJORS somewhere in the message, we'll work out a Inmate-special package price that will save you a few bucks.
-Shov