ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 07:57 AM   #496
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shov3BR View Post
Which brings up another downside to the 010-11131-00 hardwired solution. If the USB connector fails on that cable you have to replace the whole thing all the way back to the battery. With a USB Power port and Garmin power cable, a failure of the USB mini connector means that you only have to unplug the power cable from the power port and plug in a new one.
Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.
-Shov
This is exactly the reason we gave up on using Garmin's power/serial cable... The connector where it fits into the gps wears out so you need to buy a new cable eventually. We bought one of Shov's cables and it works beautifully, for more than just a Garmin gps. My wife can charge her iPod Touch through that cable, or her cell phone. Much more versatile than a straight power cable.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #497
jlpred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Made the mistake of updating my Oregon... Any you guys do custom map with typ file? Everything I had colored blue now no longer shows up. Worked just fine before update. Oh yeah..Basecamp sucks too (or I'm dumb). How can you transfer a map to the Oregon's SD card? I only see option to send to device. Funny thing is, all my custom maps show up just find in Basecamp & Mapsource, but NOT on Oregon.
jlpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #498
Laros
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
I am about to order one of these to replace my 60Cx, based on the discussions I have seen in this thread.

One question with regard to the power chord - can I use my blackberry car charger? It is a straight in, not on an angle, and all the trouble I have read about seems to relate to the angle of the mini plug on the chord.

Canucks Exploring Nicaragua
James Bay 2009
The Heart of Algonquin Park 2010
Outerbanks and The Smokies
Laros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #499
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laros View Post
One question with regard to the power chord - can I use my blackberry car charger? It is a straight in, not on an angle, and all the trouble I have read about seems to relate to the angle of the mini plug on the chord.

Probably, but there's no guarantee the Oregon won't want to go into mass storage mode when it detects the charger's USB cable. My guess is the Blackberry charger probably doesn't have the circuitry built in that tells the Oregon not to go into that mode.

There's an easy workaround though, which is to use Spanner mode. This will give you a dialog when the cable is detected asking whether or not you want to go into mass storage mode; just press no.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #500
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laros View Post
I am about to order one of these to replace my 60Cx, based on the discussions I have seen in this thread.

The Blackberry cable won't let the Oregon go directly to navigate mode. Also the straight connector is worse than the angle conenctor since it puts more side load on the connector. The angle connector allows you to use a cable tie through the lanyard holes to secure it (see previous posts above). We haven't had any trouble at all with the connection using this setup. More info on the Garmin Power Cable here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666156

Having said all of that have looked at the Garmin Montana. It's the GPS that will replace the Oregon. Lots of good words about here :
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...garmin+montana

If you still want to go with an Oregon send me a private message and I'll sell you mine at a good price.
-Shov
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #501
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Having said all of that have looked at the Garmin Montana. It's the GPS that will replace the Oregon. Lots of good words about here :
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...garmin+montana
It's certainly replaced my Oregon! No regrets here, and it's all because of that stupid usb connector. The Montana does that power connection perfectly. There are many things I like about the Oregon, but I won't own another.

My wife, on the other hand, still prefers the Oregon, so that's what we use the 3BR cable on.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 09-28-2011 at 02:10 PM
Old 09-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #502
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 263
Garmin Montana

I'm chompin at the bit to get my hands on a Montana. We already have too many GPS on hand. Zumo 550, 60CSx, Oregon 450 and a couple of Nuvi's so I have to get rid of one the others first.

Interesting observation, we were at the KTM Adventure Rider Rally at Lake Tahoe weekend before last. KTM used the Oregon that we installed on their 990 Adventure Dakar demo bike to map three loops. They then sent the riders to our booth where we copied the loop tracks onto the rider's GPS. This let us get a handle on what GPS were being used.

The shocking truth was that the ZUMO 550 was by far the most prevalent Adventure bike GPS! There were a few 60CSx, some Nuvi's and two ZUMO 660s. The only Oregon was ours mounted on the company KTM and there were no Montana's. At least none came through the booth.

I expect that to change a lot by next year's rally.
-Shov
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #503
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
IThe shocking truth was that the ZUMO 550 was by far the most prevalent Adventure bike GPS! There were a few 60CSx, some Nuvi's and two ZUMO 660s. The only Oregon was ours mounted on the company KTM and there were no Montana's. At least none came through the booth.

I expect that to change a lot by next year's rally.
-Shov
Maybe you didn't get many Oregon or Montana users through the booth because they were sending the tracks wirelessly to each other?

It's amazing, sometimes I get the impression that people have the attitude that they're damned if they'll buy yet another gps, having coughed a good chunk of change for whatever they've already got. I find when you tell people that you could beam over tracks, routes, waypoints etc directly to their compatible gps, that you can have multiple map files, that the resolution is much higher, well they break into two camps: those who listen, and those who don't want to hear.

If they stopped to think of how much progress has been made since the 60 series was at its peak, they might think differently.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #504
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 267
I have to say that I am very happy with my Oregon 450. I really thought about the Montana but looking at it at Bass Pro it's just a little to big for my taste right now. If I was on a bigger bike I might like it, but I'm on a wr250 and the Montana is half the size of my bike. Just kidding! I wish the Oregon talked to me like the Montana does. Thing is I paid $249 for the Oregon 450 from gps city. Wish I could have caught the REI labor day deal where you could get them for $199 with a rebate. Dangit! Oh well! Dishing out another $300 for the Montana just wasn't worth it to me.

Anyway, I am very happy with my Oregon 450. I loaded City Navigator 2012 and it calculates and recalculates my routes within seconds. Took it to Colorado this past week and went over some nasty rocky passes like the Pitkin side of Hancock Pass and the Tincup side of Tincup Pass. I also followed a very tough 4 wheel drive trail outside of Pitkin where the Colorado topo map came in very handy. Even while not on a County road the Oregon told me what direction to go to get back to the nearest county road that would take me back to civilization.

It does eat batteries but I am hard wiring it to my bike with the 3br set up. For off the bike use I bought 4 rechargeable NIMH double AA's with the charger off Amazon for $20.

At this point I'm a very satisfied customer with the Oregon 450.
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #505
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,614
My Garmin oem 12v setup crapped out. I just use it on AA's now. I can still connect to my PC, but no more 12v...

What's this 3br?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post

It does eat batteries but I am hard wiring it to my bike with the 3br set up.
Little Blue goes looking for Orange
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #506
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 267
Its a setup from http://www.3brpowersports.com/products_TAPP.htm

I'm using the TAPP LITE for the power and the TAPP CAPPed usb cable. I just received mine last week and haven't hooked it up yet so I can't give it a fair review but others on this forum say it works great. Seems like it will. Shov3br who posted here earlier can help you out.
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #507
NCK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Maybe you didn't get many Oregon or Montana users through the booth because they were sending the tracks wirelessly to each other?

It's amazing, sometimes I get the impression that people have the attitude that they're damned if they'll buy yet another gps, having coughed a good chunk of change for whatever they've already got. I find when you tell people that you could beam over tracks, routes, waypoints etc directly to their compatible gps, that you can have multiple map files, that the resolution is much higher, well they break into two camps: those who listen, and those who don't want to hear.

If they stopped to think of how much progress has been made since the 60 series was at its peak, they might think differently.
I'm def listening. I just don't feel like for me particularly that's worth the huge $$$.
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #508
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2013 View Post
I'm def listening. I just don't feel like for me particularly that's worth the huge $$$.
Well just to keep things in perspective, the first two new gps units I bought were a 60CSx and a 76CSx, and each cost me over $500. The next two I bought were two Oregon 550s and they cost over $500 each as well. This Montana 650 which cost $579, and included NA City Navigator, doesn't seem that expensive to me.

It's a matter of timing. If you want to participate in Garmin's extended Beta testing, you've gotta pay for that privilege. wait a year or two, and the price will come down to earth. But I don't think $500 to $600 is a lot to pay, in the grand scheme of things.

I sold my Oregon 550 for $250, while it was still worth that much to someone. As prices tumble, so does the return on initial investment so it's better not to wait too long to switch, if you plan to, imho.

Edit: just found the receipt for my Oregon purchase...

> 2ea * * RAM Mount Garmin Oregon Approach Mount Cradle RAM-HOL-GA31U
> ** 2ea * * * $8.68ea * * * $17.36
> 2ea * * Garmin Colorado and Oregon Vehicle Power Cable * * * 2ea
> $19.95ea * * * $39.90
> 2ea * * Garmin Oregon 550 with Camera (S/N: 1MW006161,1MW005957)
> 2ea * * * $529.95ea * * * $1,059.90
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Item Subtotal: *$1,117.16
> Shipping & Handling: *$21.95
> Tax: *$56.96
> Total: *$1,196.07

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 10-05-2011 at 07:44 PM
Old 10-06-2011, 01:58 AM   #509
O'Ren
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I've been using the Oegon almost daily for 4 months now, touring around South East Asia.

It's mounted on a RAM mount - which by the way if you are looking for something sturdy even off road, that won't give you any hassle or worries, you should invest in.

The Oregon has been flawlessly doing what any tourer needs in term of tracking, mapping routes and keeping records of waypoints etc.. I've used it under heavy moonsoon rain and scorching sun. My bike doesn't by a long shot minimize vibrations so the Oregon has had its share of "bad vibes", not to mention the particularly bad roads of northern Vietnam and Laos that didn't go easy on the ride. But this little GPS is performing amazingly. It's great to travel with because of its tiny size, and ease of use. I often take it with me when not riding and just exploring towns and country sides.

I use rechargeable batteries, they last me 10h with the GPS set on battery save, with the display on full brightness. I carry another two batteries with me in case I ride for more hours. I have been riding at noon with the sun all over the place and never had any problems reading the screen. This is partly thanks to the RAM mount that allows me to make subtle shifts in the GPS position to get the best of the screen view.

I didn't use at all the USB charging, so I can't comment on that. The waterproof-ness of the unit has been perfect and reliable. It took a few dips in mud and dirt and is still performing like nothing happened.

I was worried before buying it about handling it with gloves, and about the screen display size. But you actually get used to the size of the screen really quickly and the navigation is very clear and easy to follow. Gloves on you are never bothered with them, I barely see a difference with using the GPS without gloves !

Absolutely worth the money, I'm really happy with it.
O'Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:00 AM   #510
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 738
Bad Firmware

I have an Oregon 200. I love it. It has served me well. I decided to upgrade the firmware the other day because it would occasionally shut down when connected to external power and when it had to recalculate the route if I took a wrong turn. Now it turns off almost every time it has to recalculate the route. Then when you turn it back on it will turn off again when it recalculates if you do not cancel navigation. You only have a few seconds to do this. You can then pic your destination again and it will navigate. This is a real pain. I already have 4.20 firmware loaded and webupdate says that I have the newest version. I wish I knew how to revert to an older version. Is there a place that I can post my issues?

Edit: I found where to get older versions of the software. The Oregon Wiki pages has the links. Now to see if this helps.

duanew1 screwed with this post 10-21-2011 at 06:28 AM
duanew1 is online now   Reply With Quote