ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #556
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,028
absolutely.

I think .

I would have thought that once the route was created that it didn't matter what map was on the background of basecamp that it would still send the proper route to the unit.

Guess I was wrong. Just a heads up in case someone runs into this problem since Basecamp makes you switch to Global map to print maps. Make sure that you switch to City Nav (or whatever main map you use on the unit when routing) before you hit the send button.

I still however have no clue as to why it shut off on me 3 times.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #557
byways
byways

Oddometer: 1,904
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #558
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Former Quest, Quest2 & Zumo 450 owner here. Just purchased a 450 and I'm getting antiquated with it. So far so good but I've got a quick question.

On my Zumo I used to create routes on googlemaps, extract the route using GmaptoGPX and simply drop the file into the GPX folder of the unit. I tried this today on the Oregon and it doesn't create a roue. It creates a track.

I haven't been keeping up with this stuff so there may be a more effective way of doing this other than gmaptogpx. So does anyone know of a simple way to upload a route from googlemaps to the Oregon? This is for street routes, not off road. I'd like to avoid using mapsource or basecamp since most of the scouting I do is done on a PC that doesn't have those applications loaded.

thanks.
this is the best way I've found but you are correct, gmaptogpx creates tracks. You have to import these into Basecamp, then use the Create Route from Track function and then transfer both to the unit. I started a thread awhile back "Google Maps to Basecamp for Dummies" with all the instructions but it sounds like you got it.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #559
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 569
Terrain view

so in the ads for the Oregon 450, it's showing a shaded relief background or what google calls Terrain view. How the hell do I get that on my Montana?
Is it the topo map view just zoomed out and then you get all the busy topo lines when you zoom in, because I don't need that.
I just want to see where the terrain changes. Is there a new shaded relief Global Basemap that the Oregon is using and if so how do I get it? From reading the descriptions, that's what I think I'm seeing but figure someone knows.

thx
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #560
byways
byways

bikeroutetoaster.com

In my search for an alterrnative to MapSource and BaseCamp (for clients who have neither), I've been playing with the free online routing program bikeroutetoaster.com to do tracks with my Oregon 450. Seems to work well. I think it may do routes as well, or at least alerts for track points coming up.

It loaded a track no problem. Has online or hard drive storage.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #561
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
this is the best way I've found but you are correct, gmaptogpx creates tracks. You have to import these into Basecamp, then use the Create Route from Track function and then transfer both to the unit. I started a thread awhile back "Google Maps to Basecamp for Dummies" with all the instructions but it sounds like you got it.
Cool. I just wnated to know if there was something else out there that was easier. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #562
cyberdos
True Story Bro

man, this really sucks. GPS shut off again today. I was looking for a place. Put in the address and after it found it I was scrolling back to the map when it shut off. Turned it back on and looked under 'recent finds' and the waypoint that I'd found wasn't there. Had to look for the address again.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #563
byways
byways

Hmmm ... That is bad. I'm feelin' your pain, and hoping I don't go through something similar with mine once the snow melts and the mud dries.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #564
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 738
I had a problem in the past with it shutting off like that on my Oregon 200. I cannot remember what would set it off though. I think it might have been helped with a firmware update.
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #565
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
I had a problem in the past with it shutting off like that on my Oregon 200. I cannot remember what would set it off though. I think it might have been helped with a firmware update.
I was thinking that as well but I've got the latest firmware on the unit.

I'll give Garmin a call tomorrow and see what they say.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #566
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Garmin says it's possibly corrupted maps and that I should reinstall them. If no luck that they'd replace the unit. Gonna reinstall the maps and see how it goes.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #567
byways
byways

Best of luck, but defective maps sounds unlikely.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #568
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 977
oregon options

I did do a search before I made this post. I had a montana and you can not turn off the auto zoom, I hated that. Can you turn off the auto zoom on the oregon

Thanks
Old 05-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #569
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
I did do a search before I made this post. I had a montana and you can not turn off the auto zoom, I hated that. Can you turn off the auto zoom on the oregon

Thanks
Um, of course you can turn off Auto Zoom on the Montana. And on the Oregon too. It's only the Automotive gps units like the Nuvis and Zumos that you can't turn off auto zoom.

Here's my Montana and my wife's Oregon, showing each has that setting.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 05:10 PM
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #570
ratthing
refrigerated cybercanine

Oddometer: 127
Need advice from the experts

I've had my Oregon 300 for a while now, but haven't used it all that much. I'm generally pretty good with technology (I work in IT), but even after research, trial and error, this thing frustrates me to no end to the extent that I don't use it as much as I want.

I only have City Navigator NA and the base map on the GPS unit and have tried both Base Camp and Map Source to load routes. Every time I put a route on the unit, it either forces a re-calculation of the route or treats the route as a track.

This last short trip I tried the create track in BC/Mapsource->export->convert to route (using WinGDB3) dance, but the GPS treated it like a track and never alerted me to course changes. All the waypoint flags were there and visible. I resorted to putting switching to pedestrian route mode and re-calculating the route, since I was just doing A->B navigation. This would be a complete hassle with a complicated multi-stop route, though.

Are these two issues (force route recalculation and treating a route like a track) just an Oregon 300-ism? Does the Oregon 450 (or other Garmins) have these issues?

Any advice (or clue bats) appreciated.
ratthing is offline   Reply With Quote