ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 06:29 PM   #61
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,138
Secong Oregon Observation

In Mass Storage mode, look for the Garmin folder on the Oregon, and edit the file called Startup.txt to add a personal message to the startup screen of your Oregon.

Here's the content of the file:

HTML Code:
<!-- Edit this file to display a message while your unit is powering on                -->
<!-- Allow one full power cycle after editing for your message to be updated           -->

<!-- Set the display number to the minimum number of seconds your message is displayed -->
<display = 25>

<!-- Type your message on the next line -->
Sorry - I don't know how to make it show up better than this... but you get the idea.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #62
Cavi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
where are you getting the hardwire for the oregon to power it from the bike. I saw one from tourtech, but 87 dollars? I am considering just installing a ciggarete lighter outlet on the bike and using my car charger.
Cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:14 AM   #63
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi
where are you getting the hardwire for the oregon to power it from the bike. I saw one from tourtech, but 87 dollars? I am considering just installing a ciggarete lighter outlet on the bike and using my car charger.
That's essentially what I'm doing for now, until I can think of something better. I don't like using the car charger, but there's not a lot of choice right now.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #64
SWriverstone
Woodpecker

Oddometer: 281
I'm confused by all the talk of Oregon power cords. It uses a standard Mini-USB power connector, right? So what's the big deal? Can't you just use any ol' generic Mini-USB-to-cigarette plug cable? And if not, why not?

Some people are saying "The Garmin one costs $80" and some people are saying "I don't want to use my car charger." Why not? I've used the same cable on the bike and in the car for years, no problem.

So if someone could shed some clarity on this issue, I'd appreciate it!

Scott
SWriverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #65
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWriverstone
I'm confused by all the talk of Oregon power cords. It uses a standard Mini-USB power connector, right? So what's the big deal? Can't you just use any ol' generic Mini-USB-to-cigarette plug cable? And if not, why not?

Some people are saying "The Garmin one costs $80" and some people are saying "I don't want to use my car charger." Why not? I've used the same cable on the bike and in the car for years, no problem.

Scott
This is not a great picture of it, but you can just see how the mini usb comes out of the bottom (not the back) of the unit, and Garmin's standard lighter outlet connector has a right angle to it, and in this application, it points up!

Not the best arrangement from a longevity point of view.

I hope someone comes out with a new type of connector which would include weather protection (you have to pull the rubber gasket out of the way to plug the unit in).
Old 09-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #66
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Loving this Oregon More All the Time

When I decided to buy the Oregon, I switched to the camera model at the last minute, and now I'm really glad I did! The camera is not great, but I have no shortage of great cameras, and the way this one Geotags the photos is really fun.

Here are some pictures I took with the Oregon 550 onboard camera today:

Here's what the geotag info looks like in the Oregon: (Screen captures are really easy on the Oregon!)

With the images tagged, it's really easy to see the locations on Google Maps, Google Earth and other sites like that.

And as a gps, the Oregon is really fast in every way - takes under 10 seconds to connect to satellites from a cold start, turning it on about 60 kilometers from where it was shut off...

Screen refreshes are very fast too. The resolution is higher than the 60 and 76CSx so you can get a lot more on the screen at once, but the screen itself is not as clear and sharp as the 60CSx I have under most conditions.

You have to make sure you get the angle just right if you're mounting it on a bike, but I think considering all the better things about the Oregon over the 60, I am really happy I bought the 550.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 09-26-2009 at 06:44 PM
Old 09-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #67
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 746
Quote:

Scott
There is a power mode on the 300 and up models called spanner mode. This allows the Oregon to be powered by a usb plug that does not have the extra resistor in it for cable selection. Otherwise the Oregon will go into a mass data transfer mode that will lock up the gps. The 200 (which I have) does not have this option. Therefore I had to purchase the Garmin cable. I got mine at GPSCity.com for about $18.

There is more info at this site:
http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Power

I think that the mini usb plug is not robust enough for motorcycle (especially off road) use. So I just use batteries. I don't find it too difficult to see the screen in daylight with the backlight off. One set of rechargeable batteries lasts all day with battery to spare if I have the screen set to turn the backlight off after 1 minute. One other neet thing that this Oregon does that my other handleld doesn't do was to turn on the backlight when I am getting close to a turn on my route. This is great because you don't have to keep checking the screen to see how much time until your turn. It lights when you get close.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #68
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
This is not a great picture of it, but you can just see how the mini usb comes out of the bottom (not the back) of the unit, and Garmin's standard lighter outlet connector has a right angle to it, and in this application, it points up!

Not the best arrangement from a longevity point of view.

I hope someone comes out with a new type of connector which would include weather protection (you have to pull the rubber gasket out of the way to plug the unit in).
I believe that the weird angle of the plug is due to the placement of the plug on the Colorado series. I think the cord is supposed to support both of these series.
2008 SYM HD200
Old 09-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #69
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
When I decided to buy the Oregon, I switched to the camera model at the last minute, and now I'm really glad I did! The camera is not great, but I have no shortage of great cameras, and the way this one Geotags the photos is really fun.
I did not really think about the camera before this post. I would be cool to be able to just pop the gps out of the cradle to take a pic instead of having to get out a separate camera.
2008 SYM HD200
Old 09-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #70
SWriverstone
Woodpecker

Okay, well, I was confused because this is the kind of power cord I have---it's made by Garmin, cost about $22 and works flawlessly with my eTrex Vista Cx (note there is no right-angle on the mini-USB end):

Here's the link to this one on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/GARMIN-010-105.../dp/B0002WSL7A

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work with the Oregon? Or why it's hard to find? (I Googled "Garmin USB power cord" and came up with this one right away!)

While I agree USB doesn't seem very robust, I've used mine for a few years with my eTrex, and the eTrex's USB port is on the back, meaning this cord comes out of the GPS at a right angle to the unit. That's worse than the Oregon, but I've still never had a problem.

Scott
Old 09-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #71
SWriverstone
Woodpecker

Wow Emmbeedee---those pics look pretty darn good for a teeny GPS camera!

I'm kinda torn. I geotag all my photos now...but I do it the hard way: I sync the GPS time with my camera time, then after my ride, I use a Lightroom plugin to geotag my photos using the GPX file from my eTrex Vista.

That works pretty well, but it would be really nice not to even have to mess with it (and not to have to bring a separate camera). Less is more, simpler is better!

I guess the tradeoff is that right now I use my Nikon D60 DSLR with a superzoom 18-200mm lens. So my options are...have fabulous-quality pics but geotag manually? Or have "just good enough" pics and not have to mess around with geotagging?

Scott
Old 09-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #72
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1
I believe that the weird angle of the plug is due to the placement of the plug on the Colorado series. I think the cord is supposed to support both of these series.
The same power cord came with my Nuvi, and the right angle's just fine in that application.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #73
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Wow Emmbeedee---those pics look pretty darn good for a teeny GPS camera!

I'm kinda torn. I geotag all my photos now...but I do it the hard way: I sync the GPS time with my camera time, then after my ride, I use a Lightroom plugin to geotag my photos using the GPX file from my eTrex Vista.
I have the same situation - I use RoboGeo to tag my non-Oregon photos. I have a Canon DSLR and love the pictures I get out of it, but a lot of the time it's photographic overkill, to drag that camera out. And it's a lot more fragile too.

And then it's a PITA to tag the photos after the fact - you have to remember to do it while you still have the track in your gps, or save it for later tagging. And while travelling, the Oregon's going to make it easy to plot the road we traveled to online maps.

Also, it's pretty amazing to take a photo, then know you can navigate back to the same spot later if necessary. The photos become waypoints you can navigate to. You can create a route based on your photos.

So the Oregon's going to be fairly useful, I think.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #74
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Quote:
Okay, well, I was confused because this is the kind of power cord I have---it's made by Garmin, cost about $22 and works flawlessly with my eTrex Vista Cx (note there is no right-angle on the mini-USB end):

Here's the link to this one on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/GARMIN-010-105.../dp/B0002WSL7A

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work with the Oregon? Or why it's hard to find? (I Googled "Garmin USB power cord" and came up with this one right away!)
It might work. If you get an Oregon 300 or higher gps then it won't be a problem either way. My 200 would not stay out of mass data transfer mode on any of the cell phone chargers that I tried. Therefore I had to get the Garmin cable.
2008 SYM HD200
Old 09-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #75
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,801
550t

Well, a buddy gave me a 550T as a gift several weeks ago and I have to tell you, the more I use it, the more I like it. The touchscreen works great and the overall design is pretty good. It acquires satellites very, very quickly and appears to be quite versatile. I like the ability to change profiles for different activities. I added the City Nav maps and it's pretty accurate. I was surprised that the city nav program is the same as my 6 year old mapset for the V - don't see any improvements there.

The power connection pointing the wrong way irks me but maybe Garmin will figure it out sooner than later.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote