ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #76
SeaDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Zumo

Won't work with hardwire on GSA, but okay in truck and wall charger. Changed fuse and traced wire but found no inconsistencies. Have the bar mount that came with the 450. Has been okay up until a few days ago. Bad hardwire hookup? Damn, I hate to do this.
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:57 AM   #77
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog
Won't work with hardwire on GSA, but okay in truck and wall charger. Changed fuse and traced wire but found no inconsistencies. Have the bar mount that came with the 450. Has been okay up until a few days ago. Bad hardwire hookup? Damn, I hate to do this.
No gps will help you find the right topic to post in.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:37 AM   #78
Cavi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
two things I feel I must mention, first I tried the cord from my Nuvi, that has the right angle plug. In addition to putting extra stress, it also is really not long enough to seat fully, it hits the case of the oregon and does not let it seat fully, so it goes on and off.
Also, it seems a couple of people did not understand what I asked, I wanted a powercord that got directly wired to my bike, not a ciggarette lighter adapter. I am going to end up with one of these, for a couple of reasons. First I have 3 bikes I use it on, and paying 87 dollars to Garmin for a hardwire for each bike is not going to happen, and second, If I do it correctly I can use the same setup to run my radar detector.
I have a lighter adapter that hookes to a plug like the trickle charger uses, so it will be fast to hook up and unhook
Cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #79
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oregon Screen Detail is Awesome!

The resolution of this screen is far better than the 60CSx! Here are some examples - screen shots with Topo Canada V2 and Metroguide Canada V4 enabled, at different resolutions:

Here's the 30 Kilometer scale:

20 Kilometers:

12 Kilometers:

8 Kilometers:

And a few examples of the various screens showing how much more detail you can get with the higher resolution screen:

This is a fabulous gps!

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 09-27-2009 at 04:36 PM
Old 09-28-2009, 07:38 AM   #80
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1
I believe that the weird angle of the plug is due to the placement of the plug on the Colorado series. I think the cord is supposed to support both of these series.
A lot of online retailers are selling the Colorado car power adapter as a Colorado/Oregon one, but it's actually specific to the Colorado, and Garmin has a different one that's specific to the Oregon, precisely because of the right-angle issue.

Powerlet makes a power cable that has the voltage step-down circuitry inline instead of built into the plug; this could be adapted for hardwiring.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #81
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt
A lot of online retailers are selling the Colorado car power adapter as a Colorado/Oregon one, but it's actually specific to the Colorado, and Garmin has a different one that's specific to the Oregon, precisely because of the right-angle issue.
It doesn't help that Garmin itself lists a right angled plug in their Garmin Oregon accessories list.

The Powerlet solution looks interesting, though.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 10-01-2009 at 04:42 PM
Old 09-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #82
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Interestingly, Garmin also lists this power cable with bare ends -- I wonder if that box near the MiniUSB plug is a voltage stepdown converter.

--mark

Old 09-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #83
Cavi
Adventurer

I would bet it is a stepdown, but what is the cost? What part number is that?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #84
Cavi
Adventurer

Found it, but it is listed as a Serial Data/ power cable, not a mini USB power cable....even though it looks like a mini USB
Old 09-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #85
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt
Interestingly, Garmin also lists this power cable with bare ends -- I wonder if that box near the MiniUSB plug is a voltage stepdown converter.

--mark
Awesome - but still, there's a fly in the ointment. They'll probably ship this if you order it:

It's got the frigging right angle adaptor at the GPS end!

Price is right, though: from GPSCity.ca it's $24.95 Cad.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #86
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi
Found it, but it is listed as a Serial Data/ power cable, not a mini USB power cable....even though it looks like a mini USB
USB = Universal Serial Bus.

In this cable's case, you just wouldn't connect the data strands to anything, just the red and black power strands.

--mark

Old 09-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #87
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

This looks like it would keep the clutter to a minimum, as long as it was long enough to reach. It will be perfect on the F800GS which has a powerlet plug up in the front of the phony fuel tank.

Powerlet Mini USB Short Cable

Old 09-29-2009, 06:13 AM   #88
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Powerlet makes a longer, coiled version of that cord as well.

Problem is that Powerlet seems to use a MiniUSB plug that doesn't quite conform to spec. It fits in the jack a little too loosely; in my case it would sometimes briefly cut the connection when I hit a bump or something, and when the connection was reestablished the Oregon would put up the screen saying a USB connection had been detected and asking if I wanted to go into mass storage mode. This is incredibly annoying when it keeps happening on a rough road. I wound up cutting the MiniUSB plug off the end and splicing on one from a cord I knew was good.

My cobbled-together Powerlet cord failed on my recent Trans-Lab trip -- it just randomly cuts out. I haven't taken it apart yet to see whether the fault is in my splice; if not, it must be in the step-down circuitry.

--mark

Old 09-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #89
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
Awesome - but still, there's a fly in the ointment. They'll probably ship this if you order it:

It's got the frigging right angle adaptor at the GPS end!

Price is right, though: from GPSCity.ca it's $24.95 Cad.
I called GPSCity today and asked what kind of connector there would be if I ordered the bare wire type above and Andrew said it would be the one in the picture since they take their own pictures to post on the web site, and that's the cable they have to sell.

I bought 2 anyway.

Also, GPSCity in Canada has a smoking deal on Topo Canada V4 with BaseCamp: $99 Cad.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #90
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

This Toy is Full of Tricks

Okay, it's not really a toy, but it sure is fun to use. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning, using it.

Was sitting on a hill today having lunch, checking out the Fall colours and found a mode I hadn't seen before called 3D View.

This picture shows both the camera and 3D view of the same spot/view:

It's interesting to ride along with 3D view enabled. You can see a lot of terrain/ topo detail along the way, though no road/street names or towns, etc.

Here's another 3D View:

The Oregon also allows you to create profiles which store settings like which maps you have enabled or disabled so you can quickly change from an off-road specific setup to something more appropriate for highway or city use.