ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #91
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,723
One Feature I'd Like in the Oregon

The only thing I hope Garmin adds to the feature set is the ability to switch the orientation of the display like the old Garmin V did. On the V when you hold in the Page button it switches from vertical to horizontal, and the Oregon could too, I bet.

The camera on the Oregon knows which orientation it's in so if you're viewing pictures you've taken and turn the camera, the picture display switches automatically so I hope they can do the same with the other displays.

I have sent this suggestion today to Garmin asking if they could incorporate it - the support response was that they would bring my suggestion to the attention of the development team.

Now if others did the same, it might convince Garmin to do it. If they can on the V, they must certainly be able to on something as sophisticated as the Oregon.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #92
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,593
That is an excellent feature. I am surprised the Oregon doesn't already have it.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #93
sierra_victor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff
That is an excellent feature. I am surprised the Oregon doesn't already have it.
+1 Its logical..

Brian..
sierra_victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #94
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi
Also, it seems a couple of people did not understand what I asked, I wanted a powercord that got directly wired to my bike, not a ciggarette lighter adapter. ...

...I have a lighter adapter that hookes to a plug like the trickle charger uses, so it will be fast to hook up and unhook
I did end up buying a couple of these:

When I got them I cut one down to about 1.5' and soldered a molded plug to the end, so I can plug it into my Battery Tender type connection. Works very nicely.

I already have a fuse on the BT plug so I was able to dispense of the one on the Garmin cable, and the whole setup is very clean and tidy now. No more lighter adapter plugs for me.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:50 AM   #95
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,943
I'm confused. Is the right-angle USB plug a problem or not? You don't seem too worried...
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:00 AM   #96
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz
I'm confused. Is the right-angle USB plug a problem or not? You don't seem too worried...
Time will tell if it's a problem or not. It's certainly not as substantial as the old round Garmin plug, but it seems to work for me.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:14 AM   #97
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
When I got them I cut one down to about 1.5' and soldered a molded plug to the end, so I can plug it into my Battery Tender type connection. Works very nicely.
So it's confirmed then that the box near the end is step-down circuitry?

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:16 AM   #98
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt
So it's confirmed then that the box near the end is step-down circuitry?

--mark
Yes, the cable lists that it can accept 6 - 32 volts on a label stuck to it, and the gps ends up with the correct voltage via magic performed in the box.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #99
Garand
Keeper of Useful Sarcasms

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Yes, the cable lists that it can accept 6 - 32 volts on a label stuck to it, and the gps ends up with the correct voltage via magic performed in the box.
Can you share where you bought the cables? GPSCITY.com on the image seems to be out of stock "Coming soon"

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-power-and-data-cable.html

Thanks!
Garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #100
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
Can you share where you bought the cables? GPSCITY.com on the image seems to be out of stock "Coming soon"

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-power-and-data-cable.html

Thanks!
I bought them from the Canadian side of GPSCity, GPSCity.ca in Alberta. But I must have bought the last 2 - next delivery ships on October 12 according to the site. Here's a link to the page with the cables.

This is what my cable ended up looking like:

I left it a little longer than I normally would because I like to pick up the gps/camera and take quick pictures without unplugging it each time. This gives me a little flexibility to frame the shot better.

My wife wants her cable as short as possible when I solder it up for her. She's not as likely to need extra length.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #101
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Can you share where you bought the cables? GPSCITY.com on the image seems to be out of stock "Coming soon"!
This cable would do almost the same thing, if all you needed was to power the gps and not get data out from it: Gilsson Bare Wire Power Cable

I don't have any experience with this kind of cable but it looks right.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #102
Garand
Keeper of Useful Sarcasms

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
This cable would do almost the same thing, if all you needed was to power the gps and not get data out from it: Gilsson Bare Wire Power Cable

I don't have any experience with this kind of cable but it looks right.
the only thing wrong with that cable is I can't see how far down from the USB the transformer is.. makes it difficult to plan my setup.
Garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #103
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
the only thing wrong with that cable is I can't see how far down from the USB the transformer is.. makes it difficult to plan my setup.
This is part of the description from the GPSCity site:

...You can trim up to three feet off of the length of the cable from the bare wire connection, as well.

Total length of the cable: 6'6".

------------------------

So it sounds to me like the transformer is about 3 feet from the USB connector, which is about 2.5 feet too long for my liking.

I prefer the Garmin version.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #104
Piston OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Google Earth Interface?

I'm trying to figure out how to make Google Earth recognize my 550T? I had an old etrex and could simply plug it in the laptop, go to the tools menu on GE, select GPS then click GARMIN then hit IMPORT. For some reason it is not seeing my GPS when plugged in? I have tried it in Spanner mode and Serial mode. Either way it is still not seeing my GPS. Do I need to download a driver or something? I ran the latest update from the Garmin site. Thanks for your help.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #105
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,697
Oregon 400t on sale, so....

I was looking at the Oregon 550 for this winter and I just got a Bass Pro Shops flyer today listing the Oregon 400t on sale for $349.94. Looks like screen resolution is the same, 240x400, the 400t has less waypoints & routes (400t 1000 waypoints/50 routes vs. 500t 2000 waypoints/200 routes). I don't really need the camera on the 550 series. I plan to use it almost always connected to the bikes power so I'm hoping the screen brightness is similar.

Any thoughts? I don't really need the topo maps for the most part and I'm going to buy the City Nav. software for the street. I'm coming from a Lowrance H2O so anything would be an improvement feature wise.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers

mbabc screwed with this post 11-04-2009 at 08:19 PM
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote