ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 04:30 AM   #106
Exurban
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
If you don't need the topo maps but plan to buy street maps why not get the 200 or 300? Or, the Nuvi 500 which is waterproof and comes with street maps?
'84 Nordic Tug 26 for sale
2011 Nordhavn 40 under construction
1967 Plymouth Valiant sold 1979
Exurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:14 AM   #107
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
[quote=mbabcLooks like screen resolution is the same, 240x400, the 400t has less waypoints & routes (400t 1000 waypoints/50 routes vs. 500t 2000 waypoints/200 routes).[/quote]

The screen resolution is the same but the screens are not the same. The Oregon 550 screen is said to be about 20% brighter and with a glossy finish instead of matte like the Oregon 200/300/400 series.

Quote:
Any thoughts? I don't really need the topo maps for the most part and I'm going to buy the City Nav. software for the street. I'm coming from a Lowrance H2O so anything would be an improvement feature wise.
Also, keep in mind that the 400t comes with pre-loaded maps. These cannot be loaded onto your PC/Mac as the DVD is not included.

Personally, I've been on the fence about buying the older Oregon vs. the 550 and have held off so far.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:07 AM   #108
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff
The screen resolution is the same but the screens are not the same. The Oregon 550 screen is said to be about 20% brighter and with a glossy finish instead of matte like the Oregon 200/300/400 series.
There have been reports of the Oregon screen scratching when you use dirty hands or gloves on it so I put a screen protector on the 2 550s we have. That brings screen brightness down a notch.

But we still love the Oregons. The screen resolution is amazing.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:19 AM   #109
PerfectStranger
Systema Encéphale

Oddometer: 366
I've had the 400T for a year now. Brightness is not an issue for the most part and never is an issue when plugged in to external power which mine always is on the bike and in the cage. Overall a good unit. I never use the topo so it's turned off. I did buy the street maps for it since I really only use it while driving and Geocaching.

I'd recommend getting a Zagg screen protector for whichever model you buy. They're so superior to the standard protectors. Unless you rip it, it will last forever and they don't get scratched up like the standards. A little pricey but it's a one time investment. I also have Zagg protectors for my laptop and phone. They're made out of the material that the military uses on helicopter rotors to protect them from debris.

I don't think the screen orientation thing is going to change. I agree it would be nice. My old GPSIII+ changed orientation if I wanted it to. From day one I've sent requests to Garmin support for it. Also a ton of other users on a GPS forum I belong to have done the same. It's a year later. They've done many firmware updates and haven't addressed it.
PerfectStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:27 AM   #110
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectStranger
I don't think the screen orientation thing is going to change. I agree it would be nice. My old GPSIII+ changed orientation if I wanted it to. From day one I've sent requests to Garmin support for it. Also a ton of other users on a GPS forum I belong to have done the same. It's a year later. They've done many firmware updates and haven't addressed it.
I asked for the screen feature on the Garmin Developer forums this morning.

But maybe they don't want the Oregon to be the do-it-all one and only gps you own? If they make it work really well in auto navigation mode, you won't be inclined to buy that Nuvi...

Between my wife and I we've got 8 Garmins now, at last count... but really only use the Nuvi 850 and Oregons. Must get rid of the others someday.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #111
thegreatpumkin
Explorer

Oddometer: 1
The problem with those "Right Angle" plugs is they are upside down for the Oregon. The wide part needs to be on top...... otherwise the right angle/cable will be going up rather than the cable hanging down.
thegreatpumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #112
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatpumkin
The problem with those "Right Angle" plugs is they are upside down for the Oregon. The wide part needs to be on top...... otherwise the right angle/cable will be going up rather than the cable hanging down.
I've found that in practice, the USB power cable pointing up from the base of the Oregon is not a problem; I just loop the cable back down and it's not really in the way or liable to get knocked or pulled off under normal use.

We've used our two Oregons with those USB power cables for a month of riding now and they work just fine.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #113
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
im lookin at powering the oregon from the bike but dont like the idea of using the large inline regulator that plugs into a standard 12V socket. ive found a small compact inline regulator that says on it "In: DC 12~32V/Out: DC5V/3A" can anyone advise me if this will work for the oregon and not fry the thing?

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #114
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,714
400t vs 550t

Bass Pro has the 400t for 349. My question is ...is the 550t worth the extra cash. Is the backlight problem, some have complained about, fixed on the 550t?
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:20 AM   #115
Exurban
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
For boaters, West Marine has the 400c on sale for $300. I'm thinking of getting that as a backup for the boat, then buy the streets and load some free topo for versatility.
'84 Nordic Tug 26 for sale
2011 Nordhavn 40 under construction
1967 Plymouth Valiant sold 1979
Exurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #116
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,633
I picked up the Oregon 300 today at REI - onsale for the next week for $250 - regular $400.

Thanks to PFB for pointing out the deal in the Rockies Regional
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #117
Carl_Mega
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap
im lookin at powering the oregon from the bike but dont like the idea of using the large inline regulator that plugs into a standard 12V socket.
Do you mean something like this won't work for motos?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Or are you saying that this sized regulator is overly bulky? I'm only asking because I want to be sure I buy the right thing and not fry the GPS.
1998 Montesa Cota 315 R
Carl_Mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #118
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Mega
Do you mean something like this won't work for motos?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Or are you saying that this sized regulator is overly bulky? I'm only asking because I want to be sure I buy the right thing and not fry the GPS.
It'll work, but you'd be better off getting something like this:

Post 85 of this topic has details on the cable.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #119
soarski
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog
Bass Pro has the 400t for 349. My question is ...is the 550t worth the extra cash. Is the backlight problem, some have complained about, fixed on the 550t?
I got the the 550t for 399 at Bass Pro. They were out of the 400t and offered me 150 off of the 550t plus an extra 50 off for applying for a Bass Pro credit card. I may return it and go for the 300 at REI for 250.

I couldn't tell a difference between the backlightin between the 550t and the 400t, both on battery power. I called Garmin and the tech didn't know anything about the 550t being brighter and said he couldn't tell a difference in the backlighting.

One small detail I liked on the 550 that was not on the the 400 was the trip computer. On the lower right side of the screen there is button labeled 6<->6 which toggle the screen between two large bold field or 6 smaller fields. I like the two larger bold fields for speed and distance. Much easier to see. I don't think the 400 has this option?

I'm still undecided if the screen is going to bright enough. I need to use it more. I'm still trying to figure out how to use the darned thing. I'm GPS challenged!
soarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:19 PM   #120
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,942
Quote:
I couldn't tell a difference between the backlightin between the 550t and the 400t, both on battery power. I called Garmin and the tech didn't know anything about the 550t being brighter and said he couldn't tell a difference in the backlighting.
I found the following on http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Product+Information

The Oregon 550 has 850MB of free internal memory and adds a 3.2 megapixel camera with autofocus, 4x digital zoom and geotagging, 3-axis compass, high speed USB interface, an enhanced sunlight-readable touchscreen, and support for increased number of saved tracks (200), routes (200), waypoints (2000), and geocaches (5000) as compared to the Oregon 300. The 550 has the same preloaded world basemap as the Oregon 300.

The Oregon 550t has 850MB of free internal memory and adds a preloaded version of US Topo 2008 over the 550.

================================
Some rumors about a brighter screen mentioned backlighting, but it's possible that "an enhanced sunlight-readable touchscreen" may not have anything to do with backlighting, but may be a different screen construction (changing a reflective layer, for instance). I noticed slightly better readability under bright sunlight on a 550T compared to a 400t, both on battery power.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote