User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
SK_in_AB OP
LOOKin to GS

Oddometer: 4
Unlowering a BMW F700

Hi - I am new to this board but have been lurking a bit. I own an RT1200, but now looking for a used F700 to try a bit more adventure type riding. Didn't like the F800 because of it being too tall (I am 5'8" with a 31" inseam. Test drove the regular height F700 and if fit perfect.

Now the problem is I have found a good deal on a near new 2013 F700 - but with factory lowered suspension. Is it feasible/practical to raise the bike up to its original suspension travel height? I am fairly light (175) but concerned about bottoming the lowered suspension if I do much offroading.

Or maybe I should just keep looking for a regular height F700. Not a lot for sale here in Alberta however.

What advice is out there from the ADV riders?

Stephen
SK_in_AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Valkiera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Having had a friend recently go through finding a used F700 regular height. You may be waiting a while, or need to expand your search and be willing to buy from afar. It took her about 3 months of searching and had to travel about 600 miles to get hers.

They are far and few, when looking for regular height. You can find the lowered ones much more often and they seem to linger. However they are sometimes at a much better price.

As for returning it to regular height, I don't have any experiance or helpful advice.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 1,574
Ok, first off, welcome.

Second, it's no big deal to raise it up to normal height. Find a standard shock and the rear is done except for a chain tension sticker with the correct dimension on it. Unless somethings magically changed, the fronts were always lowered by setting the forks higher in the triples. Easily undone without parts. There will be no centre stand and will have a shorter sidestand.

So...there seems to be people in the Flea Market here wanting to trade one for the other so a parts swap could be done for postage.

Alternately, with shame suggesting it, I could sell you a regular rear shock, stock seat and can get a sidestand.

If it's a good deal then go for it. You have the winter to sort it out. Are you mechanically inclined or have a friend who is?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Dirt Rider
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Check with a dealer on how the factory lowers them. I have a factory lowered 800. I assume it has a shorter rear shock. However, I don't know how the front is lowered. The forks are not slid up in the triples. They look like any other regular 800. They quite easily may just have an internal spacer. Maybe the 700 is lowered differently.
Dirt Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Rider View Post
Check with a dealer on how the factory lowers them. I have a factory lowered 800. I assume it has a shorter rear shock. However, I don't know how the front is lowered. The forks are not slid up in the triples. They look like any other regular 800. They quite easily may just have an internal spacer. Maybe the 700 is lowered differently.
I can only say the 800 forks are USD (upside down) and the 650 has standard forks. Might be a different method. But yes, have a look at others to confirm.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
Dirt Rider
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Correct. Why I bought the lowered 800 and not a 700. Also wanted the spoked wheels.
Dirt Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
SK_in_AB OP
LOOKin to GS

Oddometer: 4
That one got away

Thanks for the advice. Based on that I should have jumped on the lowered bike. It sold at listed price before I could make up mind.

I will keep looking over the winter - and it sounds like I should consider both full height and lowered models because the fix might be <$500

Ill post the final outcome
SK_in_AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:07 AM   #8
oliverw
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Can be undone

I am currently going through the same issue, found a lowered f700 that had what I wanted and in the color I wanted, but it was lowered. Since this is my first bike I was thinking starting on a lower bike would be good, but in a year when I'm more comfortable riding will I regret it. The dealer I'm working with is great and he asked the Service Manager and he found out,

"I talked with our service manager Pat who actually has one of the F bikes about the low chassis to high chassis conversions. It’s actually not a huge task, there are no changes to the chassis itself, just the suspension. Most suspension houses can do this pretty quickly and in some cases parts can be carried over to save cost."

As far as I can tell the only changes are the rear shock and the side stand that need to be replaced.

Sorry you missed the chance for this bike, but there should be more out there, I ran across two lowered F700s. Each local dealer had one, but only one in the color I liked. Keep looking.

oliverw
oliverw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #9
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Further search shows the 2013's to have modified front suspensions, not just repositioned in the triples. Still, not a difficult swap and finding someone to trade with is even better.

oliverw, does yours have the low seat as well? Going to a standard seat would be a start.

If Loutre and the Union doesn't mind me saying, fill in your profile! What part of the world are you commenting from?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #10
oliverw
n00b

Oddometer: 5
The bike is coming with the Comfort Seat, so that does raise me a little.

oliverw
oliverw is offline   Reply With Quote