User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #46
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Eek Water in the gas?

I have had my F650GS since October 2008 and it has run perfectly.

It's unfortunate that some are having stalling issues. I'm not a mechanic but if a few bikes are haveing this issue maybe it's not the bike but the fuel. Could you have gotten a dirty tank of gas or maybe water in your tank from condensation (cold outside, and storing the bike in a warmer garage causing condensation)?

I live in Southern California where the temps don't go below the low 40's. Riding in cold weather might be causing condensation. I would drain the tank completly and then fill up from a national brand gas station that appears to sell a lot of gas. The water in the gas might come from a gas station.

Just an other way to solve your problem. Good luck!
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #47
jigdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92029

It's unfortunate that some are having stalling issues. I'm not a mechanic but if a few bikes are haveing this issue maybe it's not the bike but the fuel. Could you have gotten a dirty tank of gas or maybe water in your tank from condensation (cold outside, and storing the bike in a warmer garage causing condensation)?

I live in Southern California where the temps don't go below the low 40's. Riding in cold weather might be causing condensation. I would drain the tank completly and then fill up from a national brand gas station that appears to sell a lot of gas. The water in the gas might come from a gas station.

The dealer tried to put it all on me. He said the bikes engine was stalling because I didnt know how to shift the gears. (been riding since '69)
jigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #48
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 277
Eh? customer care

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigdog
The dealer tried to put it all on me. He said the bikes engine was stalling because I didnt know how to shift the gears. (been riding since '69)
Call BMW Customer Care Line 1/800/831/1117 tell them about your dealer's theory.
I gave the boys at customer care a little jingle after my dealer found out that after waiting two weeks the fuel pump was now on BACK ORDER. The call didn't change the fact that the only fuel pump to be had was in Germany.The dealer Informed me the next day that BMW would be obligated by the AZ leamon law to replace my bike if unable to repair it in 30 days. It's gona' be close.
Cisco
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #49
jigdog
Studly Adventurer

Unfortunately this is all water under the bridge as it happened in 2001-2003.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #50
Vandergraf
--------------------

Oddometer: 78
Just a thought, I recall reading that some of the 650 Dakars had stalling problems that were remedied by going down a grade in gasoline from premium to mid grade or even regular. Might be worth looking into.
Vandergraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #51
jigdog
Studly Adventurer

No that wouldnt have worked. The engine ran perfectly normally. Flawlessly in fact. Then you would pull up to a light and it wouldnt idle. It would run if you goosed it, but it would stall if you let it idle. After two or three times I found out if you turned the ignition off and then restarted: it ran perfectly. Until the next time it stalled. You could bring it to the dealer and they couldnt find anything wrong. They said: bring it to us when it happens. They were to far away for that to be possible.
There was the sparkplug fix, the "latest software" fix, the premium gas fix, the regular gas fix. The problem was it happened intermittently. Most of the time the engine ran fine. I never found out what did it. Completely beyond the home mechanic and completely beyond the dealer. After three or four times at the dealer you got the evil eye because they though you were screwing with them or you were an idiot. Ive heard the wiring harness chaffed where it runs to the ignition switch on some bikes. I guess thats a possibility.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #52
chunter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigdog
Interesting all these theories. My theory is DONT BUY A BMW and you cant have these exquisite problems.
That's not very constructive.
chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #53
chunter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92029

It's not exacly cold here in Hawaii.

chunter screwed with this post 01-19-2009 at 10:23 PM
chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #54
jigdog
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunter
That's not very constructive.

Best advice I could give you in all honesty.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #55
RedHawk47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
I had a similar problem with my KTM 950 Adv. It was stalling, particularly when pulling up and stopping at a light. It was carbureted, so some different symptoms. I adjusted the idle to be faster and that helped some, but then the idle speed would fluctuate. Sometimes where I set it, sometimes a bit high, occasionally a bit low, or way too high.

Prognosis was that the engine was tight and had too much internal friction; It couldn't maintain the rpm with the amount of fuel it was getting.

Bottom line: By the time I had 1000 miles on it the stalling problem had gone away and the idle setting worked as it should.
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #56
Chumley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Pissed Here we go again...

I had an '01 F650 single that did the surge and stall thing. As a long time rider I thought I had a fair idea of what I was doing but BMW decided I didn't know how to ride , bullshit. After a couple of software updates it ran fairly well. One day when my wife was riding the bike on the way to the shop, to let them fix one of their goofs, it stalled again at a stop light. Light went green, I took off and traffic started coming down the hill. Unfortunately the bike stalled and there was this green minivan bearing down on my wife, at the last moment it changed lanes. You can't imagine how I felt at that moment. I got to the shop and started yelling at the service writer. The bike stayed at the shop and they sold it for me.

Fast forward to the last month. My wife got a new F650GS twin and it stalls with the clutch in and coming to a stop. The bike's got about 300 miles on it and it's happened 5-6 times and my wife was starting to doubt herself but I've done this dance with BMW before. They better fix this fucking thing!
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #57
bro
n00b

Oddometer: 5
My new twin F650gs didn't give me any problems until I got in horrific wind and rain. It would not only stall downshifting into first and second, but also at high speeds usually when shifting up to sixth gear. I was on a three day trip, and realized it would stall every time it started raining, but would run fine when the weather cleared.
I took it to the dealer, and they did a software upgrade, but I am not sure if that will fix it. That same day a F800gs rider came in complaining of the same problem. He didn't have any problems either until he got caught in the rain.
bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #58
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro
My new twin F650gs didn't give me any problems until I got in horrific wind and rain. It would not only stall downshifting into first and second, but also at high speeds usually when shifting up to sixth gear. I was on a three day trip, and realized it would stall every time it started raining, but would run fine when the weather cleared.
I took it to the dealer, and they did a software upgrade, but I am not sure if that will fix it. That same day a F800gs rider came in complaining of the same problem. He didn't have any problems either until he got caught in the rain.
I am more convinced than ever listening to these inputs that it is a sensor/mapping issue.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #59
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,419
This is a slight deviation from the issue, but in looking for pictures of the fuel system and the carbon canister, I was not able to locate a FUEL FILTER that is replaceable. Well, fuel filter is a good place to start with on ANY engine that runs crappy.

On my F650 Dakar single it was there...built into the fuel rail pressure regulator...and FREAKIN $50!! But this F650/800 is a returnless system....plumbing is very different...all I can find is a $50 STRAINER on the fuel pump suction (inlet) side.

FWIW....look at the two micro fiche pictures of the fuel supply system (tank etc) and next to it the canister system....you'll be able to see the canister stuff that gets added after the fuel tank vent. Modern cars with canisters and such don't take kindly to liquid fuel getting into the canister as they don't purge liquid well...they are designed to suck up vapors on the carbon then purge them back into the intake....controlled by the engine computer.

I'm wondering if this stalling thing that can be traced to canister issues is because the canisters have been contaminated with liquid fuel from over fueling or tipovers! I'm just wondering if BMW did a crap job on the carbon canister system that is probably a US only thing. Say thank you California, CARB and EPA for this crap!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #60
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunter
Another 100 miles without the canister, and without any further issues.

When I bypassed the canister (or just prior), I could replecate the stall with no problem at all. I'd simply let it idle on a low-ish tank of gas. After I did the bypass, it ran smoothly from then on. I'm now about 300 miles since the canister bypass with no issues. No need to knock on wood about that issue any longer.

I'm really enjoying my f800gs now. It is a fantastic machine.

Aloha,
Charlie
Charlie,
Do you have procedures or a link to procedures for the canister by-pass?
Thanks-
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote