Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
ArcherCruz OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Google Maps to Garmin BaseCamp Routes Revisited

I've seen a lot of discussion on this topic here and elsewhere, but there are a couple of key pieces of information that seem pretty tough to uncover as you scour the Net. I just put together a little video tutorial that will hopefully help some folks out. This isn't a comprehensive lesson by any means -- just something to help get people on the right "track."
ArcherCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,089
Great job, thanks for making that! I had never bothered trying to do any of that. Very useful!

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:43 AM   #3
konfucius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Great video, but sorry to ask, I must have missed something, why not do the route in BC from start?
konfucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
ArcherCruz OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfucius View Post
Great video, but sorry to ask, I must have missed something, why not do the route in BC from start?
Fair question. For motorcyclists scoping out new rural roads, satellite imagery (esp. combined with street view) can be an invaluable asset to determine road composition, condition, and general suitability (read: curviness). Then, when it comes to routing, Google Maps makes it super easy to simply trace a road with your mouse pointer -- with little need to even click.

I recommend that you give each a shot and experience the difference for yourself. Your mileage may vary. I guess it really depends on the type of trip you're planning and how much you really care about the conditions of the roads upon which you'll be travelling.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Google maps

At least up here on Washington's Olympic Peninsula, don't depend on a lot of the NF roads for routes. They are numbered wrong and many are closed or gated.
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
I cant tell you how timely and valuable that video was. I am by no means proficient with basecamp or google maps although I was ok with mapsource.

In any event, I'm leaving FL to head to Nova Scotia in a few weeks and a friend gave me a bunch of kml files. I had no idea how to get those into base camp.

Now, I feel like I can and if I can get them into base camp I can get them into my nuvi. Thanks again.
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
ArcherCruz OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post
I cant tell you how timely and valuable that video was.
Great to hear, Larry! Cheers!

Archer
Old 09-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, my excitement was short lived. I suspect that have a Mac changes things. I was able to click on the link to google maps that my buddy emailed me. I could see the route, the kml file and I was able to download the file to my documents.

However, when I opened base camp and imported the file, I got the start point, the end waypoint and "driving directions" which is in fact that route.

Problem is, there is not way to create a route out of it and modify the the number of via points. One route had 5200 of them.

Might be a Mac thing. who knows. Anyway, I've got a windows 8 laptop coming next week and I'll try it on that...

Darn it... I thought I was all set.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,046
Quote:
Well, my excitement was short lived. I suspect that have a Mac changes things. I was able to click on the link to google maps that my buddy emailed me. I could see the route, the kml file and I was able to download the file to my documents.

However, when I opened base camp and imported the file, I got the start point, the end waypoint and "driving directions" which is in fact that route.

Problem is, there is not way to create a route out of it and modify the the number of via points. One route had 5200 of them.

Might be a Mac thing. who knows. Anyway, I've got a windows 8 laptop coming next week and I'll try it on that...

Darn it... I thought I was all set.
You need to spend a lot more time in BaseCamp. It can/will do what you want to do. It is simple to filter the track points down to a small number acceptable to your nuvi when you convert the Track to a Route; in BaseCamp with two-clicks.

Import your KML file. Set your Preferences->Advanced->Track Conversion set the number of points to something less than 48.

Select the Track that you imported via the KML (it is a TRACK not a ROUTE). Now right-click on the Track and select Create Route from Track.

You may need to shape the Route to follow the original (Track) but that shouldn't be to difficult for you since you can move any of the via points in the route to any road you wish and recalculate the route.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the tips but, it's not quite as simple as you suggest. "Reshaping" the route requires a significant amount of work. It's not like Google maps where you can change the route to follow the roads you want by just dragging the route line. Base camp only allows you to move a point to another point. At least, that's all I was able to figure out. Of course, I haven't spent as much time on base camp as you suggested...
Old 09-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #11
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the tips but, it's not quite as simple as you suggest. "Reshaping" the route requires a significant amount of work. It's not like Google maps where you can change the route to follow the roads you want by just dragging the route line. Base camp only allows you to move a point to another point. At least, that's all I was able to figure out. Of course, I haven't spent as much time on base camp as you suggested...
As I suggested spend some more time in BaseCamp (v4.2.+). It is as easy as I suggest. Your suggestion that routes can only be moved to "points" is not true. And, what is a "point"? You can move a route to any place on your map depending upon what Activity (Direct or routable) you have selected for the segment. Given, BaseCamp for Windows has some rather poor workflows, but you can move a route wherever you desire. There are a number of BaseCamp Routing video tutorials on YouTube. I suggest looking them over.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #12
BillyD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
I simply prefer the Google Maps user interface over Basecamp, which why on rides that aren't primarily single track, I use Google Maps for route planning.

Also, the Google and Garmin routing algo's sometimes produce different routes. Sometimes Garmins with different versions of firmware/maps produce different routes.

Becauseour group has several flavors of devices, checking routing results using both GM and BC helps flush out such differences beforehand.

Once the number of waypoints are reduced per the video, I suggest exporting from BC and importing them back into GM to confirm they are routed as expected.

In the past, I've seen significant differences.

One final comment about Garmin devices... Turn off the "auto-recalculation" function, especially when on smaller backcountry roads. If you don't and miss a turn, the device will auto recalculate a new route sometimes with very strange results. And you might not even notice it did so.

KTM '08 690 RFR, '08 990Adv S (carbs), '07 640Adv, '03 540EXC, Ducati 851, Moto Guzzi 850 Lemans, Ercole & 2VT and Yamaha RD350.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I just purchased a pc laptop ( not just for this purpose ) and loaded BC onto it. I then imported the files with 5000 points and followed Archer and Drtbyk's instructions. Sure enough, everything worked fine.

Interestingly enough, even though I didn't need to use it, the "insert" tool is NOT present on my Mac Basecamp program. This is the tool that allows you to drag a route between two waypoints to a different road and have the route "re route" itself.

I've checked the toolbars menu, tried to find more info on the BC Mac tutorial but couldn't find it. I presume there is some other way of accomplishing the same thing but I haven't found it yet.

Let's just say I'm more familiar with Pc's than Apple products. I'm sure the Apple people will tell me I'm crazy but I just find pc's to be less.....complicated.

Thanks for all the tips.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #14
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Well, I just purchased a pc laptop ( not just for this purpose ) and loaded BC onto it. I then imported the files with 5000 points and followed Archer and Drtbyk's instructions. Sure enough, everything worked fine.

Interestingly enough, even though I didn't need to use it, the "insert" tool is NOT present on my Mac Basecamp program. This is the tool that allows you to drag a route between two waypoints to a different road and have the route "re route" itself.

I've checked the toolbars menu, tried to find more info on the BC Mac tutorial but couldn't find it. I presume there is some other way of accomplishing the same thing but I haven't found it yet.

Let's just say I'm more familiar with Pc's than Apple products. I'm sure the Apple people will tell me I'm crazy but I just find pc's to be less.....complicated.

Thanks for all the tips.
On Mac-BaseCamp there is no "insert tool" just press alt+Hand tool or alt+Arrow tool and select then section of the route segment or point you want to drag. You can also move Track Points the same way or drag Track segments to insert a Track point. Mac = fewer tools need.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
On Mac-BaseCamp there is no "insert tool" just press alt+Hand tool or alt+Arrow tool and select then section of the route segment or point you want to drag. You can also move Track Points the same way or drag Track segments to insert a Track point. Mac = fewer tools need.
Mac = longer, unintuitive learning curve.

I'm sure you are going to tell me that the insert tool trick is clearly described somewhere in either the BC manual or the MAC manual....

PS: thanks for the article (basecamp) on globe riders.com. Very informative.

LarryGee screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 02:36 PM