ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #16
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz
I think Garmin does not want you to get off your boat and jump on your motorcycle with the same GPS. They want you to buy at least two products: a GPSMAP 640 for your boat and a Zumo 660 for your MC...and why not, maybe a Nuvi for your wife!

I don't get why the new zumo has such poor resolution. Bigger screen than a 478 but worse resolution.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #17
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz
I think Garmin does not want you to get off your boat and jump on your motorcycle with the same GPS. They want you to buy at least two products: a GPSMAP 640 for your boat and a Zumo 660 for your MC...and why not, maybe a Nuvi for your wife!
And a handheld for your off-road motorcycle :)

I agree that's why they've done it, but with the single unit price of the 660 being $0.75k (list), I think many will expect it to be a "one size fits all" unit.

This strategy will backfire on Garmin when another brand comes out with the full-functioned unit that handles on-road routing, tracks, etc. with equivalence at the same price point.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #18
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff
.....This strategy will backfire on Garmin when another brand comes out with the full-functioned unit that handles on-road routing, tracks, etc. with equivalence at the same price point.
Yup, that's what we've been saying for about 5 years now, we're still waiting. I wish someone else would make a better all around GPS for the Adventure community just so I wouldn't have to listen to everyone bitch about Garmin

Jim in Sacramento
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:57 AM   #19
emelgee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Looks like I'll be hanging on to my 276c for the time being.
As far as I can see all they need to do is update the 276 derived models with a couple of extra features:
- Use standard SD cards, and have the ability to transfer tracks and routes to/from the card so there's no limit to your tracklog storage.
- internal aerial
- more up to date user interface.

The Zumo 550 does most of want I need, but I won't buy one cos the high-res screen on the 276 is so much better.
I like the idea of the large touch screen on the 640, but if they've removed a lot of the routing and tracklogging options then it's a case of one step forwards, three steps back.
I guess we'll have to wait until an independent reviewer gets their hands on one to find out the full spec.

KTM 990 rider and proud of it!!

950 adventure gone, but not forgotten.
emelgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #20
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
I think I understand economy of scale, but this is ridicules

Seems to me Garmin has lost potential sales in the X76 market segment by ignoring it for so long.

I believe many if not most 276c (now 5yrs old?) owners would have already upgraded at least once and some twice if there had been new generation units with the functionality they desire. I suspect some may have been forced to replaced older units that have died with the same thing as nothing newer was available.

I know many in the handheld segment have upgraded several times. Not the same price point I know, but I my self have owned 3-4 different Garmin handhelds during the run of the 276 form factor.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #21
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,245
Waiting has cost me money.

378 and 478 both had $200 factory rebates which ended on 12/31. Damn... I love my 276C but want NEXRAD. Garmin has already dropped the 376 and I'd bet the 378/478 can't be far behind. Can those displays be THAT expensive?

I guess I get to wait some more.

Gerg

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:39 AM   #22
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,643
For what it's worth, there still seem to be plenty of 376C's available from online retailers... for now. Prices are quite good too. Amazon had them last week for $400.

I'll be curious to hear what 620/640 owners have to say about the units, but I too can't understand why Garmin would handicap them with less functionality than the earlier units had.

I just bought an Oregon 300 and installed City Navigator maps on it; I think it'll work out well for ADV purposes, but of course it lacks the awesome hi-res display of the 620/640 or even *76 series. (On the other hand, it's a lot more compact...)

While I was researching the Oregon, I began looking seriously at the 376C, but the proprietary memory cards it uses were a dealbreaker for me. No way am I paying Garmin $100 or thereabouts for a 512MB card when a 2GB microSD card costs $7.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #23
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt

While I was researching the Oregon, I began looking seriously at the 376C, but the proprietary memory cards it uses were a dealbreaker for me. No way am I paying Garmin $100 or thereabouts for a 512MB card when a 2GB microSD card costs $7.

--mark
+ 1

That's the main reason I bought the Zumo 550 instead of the GPSmap 478.

I was hoping that Garmin would come out with an improved 478, so I thought this 640 would be my solution. But with zero tracks on LAND mode, it just doesn't make sense for me. I'm hoping that by "zero" stored tracks on LAND mode, they mean zero tracks on the GPS's internal memory and perhaps tracks and routes can be stored on the SD card.We'll have to wait and see.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:41 AM   #24
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut
I believe many if not most 276c (now 5yrs old?) owners would have already upgraded at least once and some twice if there had been new generation units with the functionality they desire. I suspect some may have been forced to replaced older units that have died with the same thing as nothing newer was available.
Not necessarily.

I own a 376c and a 60csx. While the 376 is almost 3 years old, I bought the 60csx specifically for what it could do.

While the Garmin cards are a slight negative, all the other features of the x76 series and 478 work so much better for off road, and back road adventuring that the Zumo and new 6 series pale in comparison, IMHO.

I have the ability, but certainly not the desire to "upgrade". What I have are the best tools for the job at this point.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:16 AM   #25
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
I don't get why the new zumo has such poor resolution. Bigger screen than a 478 but worse resolution.
It's because of the touch screen ...

Paul Jr
Old 01-12-2009, 04:48 AM   #26
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
I've got 3 276's----bought a couple used really cheap just in case I smash one. That will take me till I die. As all the rest are just waterproof car, soccer mom GPS's. ------for me---not you----just for me.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:22 AM   #27
emelgee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
They've just used the same screen as some of the Nuvi car units - economy of scale I guess. It's the main thing that held me back from getting one as well - plus you lose quite a bit of the map area with the permanent display icons.

KTM 990 rider and proud of it!!

950 adventure gone, but not forgotten.
emelgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #28
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
I've got 3 276's----bought a couple used really cheap just in case I smash one.
and

Quote:
I have the ability, but certainly not the desire to "upgrade". What I have are the best tools for the job at this point.

I think BigDog and Dave have reinforced my point. Garmin has not offered customers a reason to upgrade.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #29
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
I've got 3 276's----bought a couple used really cheap just in case I smash one. That will take me till I die. As all the rest are just waterproof car, soccer mom GPS's. ------for me---not you----just for me.

KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #30
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Yup, that's what we've been saying for about 5 years now, we're still waiting. I wish someone else would make a better all around GPS for the Adventure community just so I wouldn't have to listen to everyone bitch about Garmin

Jim in Sacramento
Me too!

I saw the 620/640 at CES a few days ago. It is really nice. The touchscreen works perfectly. The size is perfect. The rep assured me it will do EVERYTHING the 276 does and more. I get back, look at the specs, and NO.......they fucked up on the tracking, again. Why, oh why is it so hard to respect the fact that off-road dual sporters like tracks. It's not a hard concept to understand.

One more thing, a new Nuvi model sports satellite maps on screen. Now that is cool. I asked him if the 640 with xm weather does that. He says, "NO......" I say, "That's because boaters don't care about storm clouds!!" These guys are falling to sleep, smoking crack, or somthing.

Not to mention,,,,, Garmin's stock price has absolutely been trashed because Wall Street has decided that consumers prefer GPS on their cell phones, and it's only a matter of time. When that happens, I bet we get our friggin' track logs.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote