Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #106
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
It would be similar if you've ever tried to create a route on a different version of City Nav on the PC then whats in your GPS and send it to it, you get a message that says the maps don't match the roads and it has to recalc it or if you choose no, it gives you a direct route from waypoint to waypoint ignoring the roads.
Exactly.

But I should underline that routes created with Topo Canada on the computer will download and behave properly with a 378 if the corresponding maps are previously downloaded on the 378. Actualy only road on the built in CN do not work.

Paul Jr oO 8
Old 06-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #107
MotoJim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
It's Ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
Funny thing is, for our niche, simply incorporating all the missing features of the 478 (Tracks/Routes, XM Weather in all modes,, etc.) into the next-gen hardware platform of the 640 would regain the loyalty of many. How difficult could that be? The software code exists, it's not like a ground-up development effort. Completely baffling...
They will never admit that they could be wrong. They completely believe their own bullshit. It's not an engineering problem, it's an engineering ego problem.
MotoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #108
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJim
They will never admit that they could be wrong. They completely believe their own bullshit. It's not an engineering problem, it's an engineering ego problem.
Engineering ego - or Marketing Executive ego? I vote the latter...

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #109
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Does anybody if there is a forum somewhere dedicated to the 478 or 640 for that matter, like there is one for the Zumo?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #110
MotoJim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
Engineering ego - or Marketing Executive ego? I vote the latter...
I don't think so. Garmin was founded by two engineers, one of which remains at the top.

It's interesting that the new Oregon 550T claims to support 200 saved track logs on the device. A glimmer of hope.
MotoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #111
AugustFalcon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
I don't think so. Garmin was founded by two engineers, one of which remains at the top.

It's interesting that the new Oregon 550T claims to support 200 saved track logs on the device. A glimmer of hope.
I have to go with the PP --- its all market driven now. In the beginning it was engineering. IIRC their first GPS was an aviation box which had a built in battery with the aim of solving the how do I find where I am if the airplane loses electrical power. (Not an uncommon thing back then)

After that first box Garmin was not as innovative as their competitors. They had good technical solutions but the boxes were more difficult to operate than their contemporaries. They ended up buying IIMorrow/Apollo and I think that put them back in the forefront of the game by infusing fresh thinking into product development, operating logic and feature sets.

Now, just as the personal computing industry has done, the GPS market is rapidly heading for ubiquitous commodification. Garmin has been drug along unwillingly. They are trying to innovate their way out --- geocaching devices and fitness devices are their most successful attempts so far.

Our segment is too small --- all we can hope for is that some of the spill over from devices marketed to other segments will drag us along. And perhaps they will find it cheaper to keep the 478 programming as an under layer to the shiny new all flash and no bang programming in their newer focused products. (Maybe they could fit it somewhere under the GIANT motorcycle icon in the ZUMO product series! Really, WTF, am I going to forget I'm on a motorcycle?)

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #112
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,579
Quote:
The existing Oregon units actually support lots more saved tracks than the specs state. In fact, I think the number may be limited only by available storage space. I think it's only archived tracks (ie, ones that the Oregon automatically saves when the track log gets to 9999 points) that are limited in number.

Since you bring up the Oregon... I've been using an Oregon 300 loaded with City Navigator and topo maps, and it's been working out great. I find it really ironic that Garmin can pack into this relatively low-end unit nearly all the features of interest to most of the people on this site (except for XM/weather radar compatibility), and yet they can't put some of the Oregon's most basic features into a $1000+ GPSMap unit.

Why not run the Oregon's very flexible OS/interface and corresponding apps on the 640? Makes no sense...

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #113
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck
...You plan a route from New York to San Francisco via Chicago on your computer. When you download that road to your 378, it will let you think the route is downloaded, but once you try to use it on your GPS, it will recalculate the route considering only the starting and ending point. I.e. through New Orlean or whatever route the GPS will calculate (God knows where). I.e no planned route.

Unless you REALLY need fresh water routes (i.e. inland water navigation) don't touch the 378.

Paul Jr

I was on the phone with them discussing what should be my next unit (from the 276). In addition to all the backcountry, moto'ing, and other navigating I said that I spent a lot of time on freshwater and so the 378 would be the obvious logical choice. The guy said even with my desire for freshwater that I would be very unhappy with the 378 vs. 478 and I didn't really get what he was saying but it had to do with routing etc. and what you're saying must be relevant to that discussion I had with him...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #114
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

0 saved tracks in automotive mode

According to the specs, the new GPSMap 640 can save 20 tracks in Marine mode and 0 tracks in automotive mode. I've never owned a marine/land GPS, so I don't know what exactly "marine" mode means. Can any users of the 640 chime in and offer a little explanation of the differences in the "modes". I mean, does it matter if you are in the middle of the desert and have it set on marine mode to be able to save tracks?
Old 07-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #115
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:

The 550T looks like a really nice unit from the specs even if it is a bit pricey.
I likes it, but not $600 worth of like.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #116
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz
According to the specs, the new GPSMap 640 can save 20 tracks in Marine mode and 0 tracks in automotive mode. I've never owned a marine/land GPS, so I don't know what exactly "marine" mode means. Can any users of the 640 chime in and offer a little explanation of the differences in the "modes". I mean, does it matter if you are in the middle of the desert and have it set on marine mode to be able to save tracks?
In Marine mode, you are not able to view the installed City Navigator NT (i.e. "Land") map. Pretty silly that they would enable tracks on water, but not on terra firma, eh?

Old 07-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #117
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
In Marine mode, you are not able to view the installed City Navigator NT (i.e. "Land") map. Pretty silly that they would enable tracks on water, but not on terra firma, eh?
Ok, but what if you are in marine mode and have another map on the SD card; let's say a Topo map. Can you see the Topo map?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #118
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz
Ok, but what if you are in marine mode and have another map on the SD card; let's say a Topo map. Can you see the Topo map?
Sorry - don't know. I may be near the Garmin Gallery (Downtown Chicago) this weekend - they have one on display and I'll try to check it out for you.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #119
Ozz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
Sorry - don't know. I may be near the Garmin Gallery (Downtown Chicago) this weekend - they have one on display and I'll try to check it out for you.
It would be great if you bring a map on your own SD card and insert it on a displayed 640 at their showroom in Chicago...'cause, you know, the reps there don't seem to have a lot of experience with thier own products . I was there about a year and ahalf ago and that was my impression!
Old 07-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #120
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz
It would be great if you bring a map on your own SD card and insert it on a displayed 640 at their showroom in Chicago...'cause, you know, the reps there don't seem to have a lot of experience with thier own products . I was there about a year and ahalf ago and that was my impression!
You are absolutely correct about the knowledge of most of their reps. Problem is though, I don't have maps on SD because I use the 478, so I'll need to find someone there that can either answer the question and/or has a SD card with a map on it.