ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 06:38 AM   #1
habahaba OP
Adventurer
 
habahaba's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Finland
Oddometer: 10
Öhlins TTX experiences on LC8

Can any LC8 owners with Öhlins TTX suspension tell me your experiences about this suspension in a big bike like this. Money wise spent or not?

Öhlins has just released TTX cartridge kit and TTX44 shock here in Europe at the end of last year, I understood that Öhlins kits for LC8 have been for sale in US already since late 2013.

cartridge kit is 888€ w/o VAT and TTX shock 808€ w/o VAT.

how is Öhlins TTX handling when you compare it to original Adventure WP and what are your spring rates?
habahaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:15 AM   #2
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer
 
DirtyADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: SWEDEN, Skellefteå
Oddometer: 2,334
You should contact Ken:

http://www.powercellperformance.com

No expert what so ever but from what I understand is the rear shock quite heavily modified to suit the big KTM Adventure and front would also need to be tuned for a bigger bike.

Kits sold for smaller bikes would probably not be a good match for a as heavy bike as the LC8 powered beasts with out proper tuning.

Its pricey but might be worth it if your riding skills are good enough =)

/Johan
__________________
Have changed name, was previously Dirty950

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
habahaba OP
Adventurer
 
habahaba's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Finland
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
Kits sold for smaller bikes would probably not be a good match for a as heavy bike as the LC8 powered beasts with out proper tuning.
I may not have expressed myself clearly, these new kits are made to KTM LC8 specs. These have just launched at the end of last year in Europe..
habahaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer
 
DirtyADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: SWEDEN, Skellefteå
Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by habahaba View Post
I may not have expressed myself clearly, these new kits are made to KTM LC8 specs. These have just launched at the end of last year in Europe..
Interesting, Italian company it seems, tempted but will continue to tune my 320mm Pyndon Suspension for now.

Maybe we have some italian guy on here, might have been discussed on some italian LC8 forum?

Maybe you should drop them an email and ask or have you done that already?

/Johan
__________________
Have changed name, was previously Dirty950

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
2stroked
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Location: Nanaimo BC Canada
Oddometer: 86
Does this mean you can up your travel with this stuff? If so it's not that bad a deal if you plan on doing that anyway.
__________________
08 KTM 990 Adv, 07 Husky WR 250
2stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #6
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer
 
mousitsas's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 2,913
when we find this italian person, could we perhaps ask him if they fit the SE?
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #7
Pete640
I hate sand.......
 
Pete640's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Sanding something in the shed...
Oddometer: 1,793
I have the TTX fork inserts from Ken @ PCP and can honestly say they are the best handling fork I've ridden. Worth the $$ - for me and what I want to do yes. Are they better than customised open chamber forks - yes. Do they perform better than other aftermarket extended offerings - yes

Quiet simply they allow me to ride terrain more comfortably than I have ever been able to before!!

Can you post a link to the ohlins site for the insert/shock?
__________________
Pete
Turtleshell5@icloud.com
For those who sit at home and dream-let them...Meoni
Pete640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:48 AM   #8
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry
 
LocuL's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Denmark - Jutland
Oddometer: 1,335
Stop Pete...

...don´t talk good about that setup...

You still need to make the front carbon tanks.

__________________
KTM 950(1190) Adv-s, Soon to be Project 1190
KTM 530 EXC-R 08
LocuL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:17 AM   #9
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer
 
DirtyADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: SWEDEN, Skellefteå
Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroked View Post

Can you post a link to the ohlins site for the insert/shock?
Thread starter did in his first post but here are full links, inserts:

https://www.omniaracing.net/en/ohlin...3-p-20132.html

Shock:

https://www.omniaracing.net/en/ohlin...6-p-20104.html

But not that much info but they do list that its will fit the 950.

Not entirely sure but think Ken wrote something about the shock being made for a linkage rear suspension setup and to make it work well with the non-linkage KTMs it needed some modification, but have the memory of a gold fish so might have that all wrong.

/Johan
__________________
Have changed name, was previously Dirty950

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:24 AM   #10
Pete640
I hate sand.......
 
Pete640's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Sanding something in the shed...
Oddometer: 1,793
Thanks Dirty. Picked that up once I reread the post.
I've sent the sellers a query re spring rates and specificity to the Adv/SE type bikes. Ill copy in the reply once I have it

Mikael - you need to focus on your motor and not worry about the tanks!!
__________________
Pete
Turtleshell5@icloud.com
For those who sit at home and dream-let them...Meoni
Pete640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:30 AM   #11
habahaba OP
Adventurer
 
habahaba's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Finland
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
I have the TTX fork inserts from Ken @ PCP and can honestly say they are the best handling fork I've ridden. Worth the $$ - for me and what I want to do yes. Are they better than customised open chamber forks - yes. Do they perform better than other aftermarket extended offerings - yes

Quiet simply they allow me to ride terrain more comfortably than I have ever been able to before!!
Thanks for your comments on TTX forks. Do you now Pete what is your spring rate at front?
Any other LC8 TTX riders here who can comment how they will perform comparing to stock WP?

In the first post I just made the reference to this Italian site, since most Öhlins dealers do not list them yet. These should be available already from your local Öhlins dealer with following codes:
KTM 950-990 TTX Cartridge kit Öhlins code is FGAG 994
KTM 950-990 TTX44 shock Öhlins code is AG 811

Bare in mind that these will come without springs, so you have to decide your spring rate and order suitable springs too.

Quote:
Not entirely sure but think Ken wrote something about the shock being made for a linkage rear suspension setup and to make it work well with the non-linkage KTMs it needed some modification, but have the memory of a gold fish so might have that all wrong.
I understood that Ken made his own TTX shock for LC8 using Öhlins components. These are now factory made for Adventure and SE, Im pretty sure Öhlins has tested these before letting them go for sale. TTX44 shock for non-linkage KTMs has been also available already few years.
habahaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:27 AM   #12
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry
 
LocuL's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Denmark - Jutland
Oddometer: 1,335
Would these be the same which Ken has developed?

That would ease the freight a bit?
__________________
KTM 950(1190) Adv-s, Soon to be Project 1190
KTM 530 EXC-R 08
LocuL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #13
2stroked
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Location: Nanaimo BC Canada
Oddometer: 86
So each item is jus over 1000 bucks each before shipping? That's not bad
__________________
08 KTM 990 Adv, 07 Husky WR 250
2stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:12 PM   #14
Pete640
I hate sand.......
 
Pete640's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Sanding something in the shed...
Oddometer: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by habahaba View Post
Thanks for your comments on TTX forks. Do you now Pete what is your spring rate at front?
Any other LC8 TTX riders here who can comment how they will perform comparing to stock WP?

In the first post I just made the reference to this Italian site, since most Öhlins dealers do not list them yet. These should be available already from your local Öhlins dealer with following codes:
KTM 950-990 TTX Cartridge kit Öhlins code is FGAG 994
KTM 950-990 TTX44 shock Öhlins code is AG 811

Bare in mind that these will come without springs, so you have to decide your spring rate and order suitable springs too.


I understood that Ken made his own TTX shock for LC8 using Öhlins components. These are now factory made for Adventure and SE, Im pretty sure Öhlins has tested these before letting them go for sale. TTX44 shock for non-linkage KTMs has been also available already few years.
0.48 for my forks. For me that's enough to keep the fork firm but still plush in the stroke. I've matched it to a 150 rear spring
__________________
Pete
Turtleshell5@icloud.com
For those who sit at home and dream-let them...Meoni
Pete640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #15
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry
 
LocuL's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Denmark - Jutland
Oddometer: 1,335
anyone....Would these be the same which Ken has developed?

That would ease the freight a bit?
__________________
KTM 950(1190) Adv-s, Soon to be Project 1190
KTM 530 EXC-R 08
LocuL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015