User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
bigborefan OP
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,349
KTM 690E - All Things Suspension Related

The main 690 thread is getting way to big, so I started this thread.

I have a 690E and I am wanting to get the suspension done. I am thinking SPS or TrailTrick. Has anyone had theirs done yet and if so what was the outcome?

Thanks

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
Rednut
Orange Bike, Orange nut

Oddometer: 21
Things that go boing

I have set mine to the soft settings as in the manual for general trail riding, I found this great for taking the fight out of the bike in the tight stuff. It is pretty good for most things other than BIG jumps.

Given the shorter travel I think it handles it well. I would only spring and valve it if adding a lot of luggage. I am about 80kgs and ride without luggage.
Rednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Lumpyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Talk with Javier at Trail Trick. I believe he and others are running KTM twin chamber forks, but I am sure he can improve the stock OC forks.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
greengoose
boondocker

Oddometer: 3
IMO The 690 stock suspension is a pretty darn good. I got into some rocky trails with lots of rutts and washouts recently and was very impressed how well the bike handled it the rear bounced out a little on some of the steeper rocky hill climbs but never got so out of control that I couldnt handle it, I was running 20 comp. and 23 reb. on the clickers. I have also ran the twisty mountain roads of northern Arkansas with the clickers on 10 comp -10 reb and was just as happy with the performance. Its really nice to have that kind of versatility in a bike

If I was going to use it exclusively for offroad riding or racing I would probably have it revalved by a pro, I had my 525 reworked by SMS racing in Denton TX and it was some of the best money Ive ever spent on a bike

greengoose screwed with this post 01-10-2009 at 08:49 PM
greengoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,771
Had mine done by SMS racing out of Denton TX. They've been in the suspension biz for a while specializing in KTM's. Had it and the 450 EXC done at the same time. Can't remember the specifics since I did both at the same time but the springs up front didn't have to be changed out if I rmember correctly, so just had a new shock spring, revalving and set the preload. The bike definatrely handles better on road. No headshake at 75 like it was stock. I really haven't had a chance to put it through the paces off road yet.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
I've added the preload adjusters. It does compress springs around 3/8" minimum. Those who finds the suspension too stiff, avoid it. But I'm 210 lbs (these days) so this was not an issue with me.

I reduced the damping by 4 to 5 clicks afterward. Now the suspension behave perfectly ...

Paul Jr
Old 01-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 406
I was won over by the descriptions here of SPSs work, and I have two related questions. What's a rough door-to-door price for a revalve & springs both ends? I think it's worth it and just want to get an idea of the budget.

The other question is tougher: how do you know what to tell them to get a good result? I think street bikes have a narrower definition of what good suspension should behave like, but off-road you could be riding everything from Florida sand to high-elevation rock gardens. Any good advice in this regard.

[Edit: in the linked thread I got the rough cost I was looking for]

Jeff
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
Lumpyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
I was won over by the descriptions here of SPSs work, and I have two related questions. What's a rough door-to-door price for a revalve & springs both ends? I think it's worth it and just want to get an idea of the budget.

The other question is tougher: how do you know what to tell them to get a good result? I think street bikes have a narrower definition of what good suspension should behave like, but off-road you could be riding everything from Florida sand to high-elevation rock gardens. Any good advice in this regard.
If you need springs on both ends then budget $800.

A good suspension tuner will ask you a dozen or so questions about your riding style, experience, every kind of terrain you ride in.

Trail Trick is a KTM tuner and has a 690E that he has ridden thousands of miles in the desert. I am getting my 200EXC/XCW suspension back from him next week. You can read reviews of his work at KTMTalk.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,569
How do the forks on the 690 compare to the 450/530 model? (same, different part number, similar internals, longer/shorter?). I have a project in mind.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
What to do with the rear shock?

Those of you who have taken the exc/sx-fork path, what have you done with the rear end? Another shock? Rebuilt linkage(spelling..?)?
I would love to get 300mm`s of travel...
And... This thread is useless without pics.....

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Invader View Post
Those of you who have taken the exc/sx-fork path, what have you done with the rear end? Another shock? Rebuilt linkage(spelling..?)?
I would love to get 300mm`s of travel...
And... This thread is useless without pics.....

Correct me if I'm wrong but the front fork on the 690 is the same as the EXC bikes no? Valving and springs on the exc is obviously different.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but the front fork on the 690 is the same as the EXC bikes no? Valving and springs on the exc is obviously different.
Sorry, I was a bit unspecific there...
My bike is the EU 690 Enduro (no R) and only got 250 mm travel.
Completly different from the exc/sx. I`m thinkin of taking an exc fork and tripple, but what to do with the rear?

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #13
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
shorter stroke 275mm , i have some xcw cc forks (300mm ) also a spare linkage wish bone going to machine shop this week chip out some some adjustablity or the shick . The cc forks are huge inprovement over stock but if you get rid o the extremely harsh hi-speed valving standard fork are very capable
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #14
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
shorter stroke 275mm , i have some xcw cc forks (300mm ) also a spare linkage wish bone going to machine shop this week chip out some some adjustablity or the shick . The cc forks are huge inprovement over stock but if you get rid o the extremely harsh hi-speed valving standard fork are very capable
OK, trying to wrap my mind around this

If I tossed a set of 48mm Forks from my 550 Berg onto the 690, I would have gained 25mm of travel but can't you just change the internals of the stock 690 e forks and make them 300mm? The rear shock I understand is more of a project that requires a longer shock shaft to increase the travel.
Sounds like you're going to try and change the linkage to change the ratio... is that right? If that is the case, will it have an adverse effect on the damping?

How do you compare the 690 R suspension to the EXC stuff? Forgive me for being dense, I'm trying to get a better handle on how I need to proceed with my project.

Evil, why would you need to change the triple? Adjustable offset important, or is it the offset of the EXC triples that makes a difference over the stock 690E triple?

I've been riding/racing a Super Enduro for the past few years with enthusiasm and the only thing I've done to the stock suspension was to regularly service the forks and I did a bladder conversion to the rear. So far, its been great and I see now reason to make any changes. I do remember that the 690 didn't handle as good as the SE but it has been awhile since I owned the 08.

Maybe a works rear shock would be the way to go? As I recall, you can have them custom made to your specs and its probably easier to service than the WP shock.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #15
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
When you say CC forks, you mean the twin chamber forks?