Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 03:57 AM   #46
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck View Post
How does KTM World compare to someone like Superplush? Anyone have experience with both?

KTM World's local so they're definitely the easy path, but if I'm spending the money I want to do this right.

Anyone?
I just been in contact on GOR with Paul at KTMworld to ask about 690 suspension work. I wanted be sure they did in deed work on 690, because back when I was looking to get the 990 done they wanted nothing to do with it. Thus I sent the forks to Superplush for the 990 work. Anyway the good news is that yes KTMworld will do work on the 690. However the great news is that Travis (their lead suspension/R&D tech) also rides a 690.

Paul said their turn around time is typically 3 to 4 days. After the work I want them to set up/verify the sag before I leave with the bike. They will also let you check out their suspension work by test riding it in the park. At this point my tentative plan is to bring the bike up this week (if they can get me in). If you go to their web page there's more info:

http://ktmworld.com/ktm_suspension_services.asp

I know at the min that I will need springs, but I'm not sure if I really need to spend the money on their "Works Package".

CHRIS_D screwed with this post 01-24-2011 at 04:06 AM
CHRIS_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #47
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
I just been in contact on GOR with Paul at KTMworld to ask about 690 suspension work. I wanted be sure they did in deed work on 690, because back when I was looking to get the 990 done they wanted nothing to do with it. Thus I sent the forks to Superplush for the 990 work. Anyway the good news is that yes KTMworld will do work on the 690. However the great news is that Travis (their lead suspension/R&D tech) also rides a 690.

Paul said their turn around time is typically 3 to 4 days. After the work I want them to set up/verify the sag before I leave with the bike. They will also let you check out their suspension work by test riding it in the park. At this point my tentative plan is to bring the bike up this week (if they can get me in). If you go to their web page there's more info:

http://ktmworld.com/ktm_suspension_services.asp

I know at the min that I will need springs, but I'm not sure if I really need to spend the money on their "Works Package".
Why not go back to SuperPlush?
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #48
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Why not go back to SuperPlush?
I need go through the PIA hassle of shipping the forks/shock to SP. James won't be able to set my sag (or show me how to do it). Basicaly it's just nice to work with someone local (FOR ONCE!!!) who actually knows what to do.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #49
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
I need go through the PIA hassle of shipping the forks/shock to SP. James won't be able to set my sag (or show me how to do it). Basicaly it's just nice to work with someone local (FOR ONCE!!!) who actually knows what to do.
Totally agree, just wondering what your experience was.
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #50
bigborefan OP
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,292
Travis must be the guy I meet in KY. Chris_D, give us a report after the work. I think your making the right choice, and that is not saying anything against SPS. You can go out and ride the bike immediately after the work. Maybe even get Travis to watch you ride. Plus you save on shipping, which is not cheap these days.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #51
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
Travis must be the guy I meet in KY. Chris_D, give us a report after the work. I think your making the right choice, and that is not saying anything against SPS. You can go out and ride the bike immediately after the work. Maybe even get Travis to watch you ride. Plus you save on shipping, which is not cheap these days.
Will do!!
Old 02-13-2011, 05:07 AM   #52
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
I was finally able to get my new 2009 690R home yesterday. Had the dealer changed out the springs and set the sag for my considerable bulk of about 315#. Ride home was a little stiff so when I go it home read the manual and changed all the stock suspension settings to standard. I'm just getting back into dual sport riding after many years off, so not really worth sending it out for a re-valve yet, but would like to get the most out of the stock suspension. Can someone give me a little explanation and example of what to look for and how to adjust each setting? According to the manual the different settings are fork compression damping, fork rebound damping, shock low speed compression, shock high speed compression. I expect my riding to start out about 70% back road, 30% dirt/mild off-road and as mentioned above pretty well fully loaded with just me on it. Also I would be interested on suggestions for each setting as a starting point and maybe some suggestions for tire pressure. Thanks.
BigOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #53
Devil#1
Temptation Abounds

Oddometer: 282
tuning demystified

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOhio View Post
Can someone give me a little explanation and example of what to look for and how to adjust each setting?......Also I would be interested on suggestions for each setting as a starting point and maybe some suggestions for tire pressure. Thanks.
This is a good resource to help understand the terminology, methodology and goals of suspension set-up, tuning and design.

Read it BEFORE you blow the dough!

http://suspensiontuninghelp.moonfrui...ics/4511681555
Devil#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #54
RacerXS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil#1 View Post
This is a good resource to help understand the terminology, methodology and goals of suspension set-up, tuning and design.

Read it BEFORE you blow the dough!

http://suspensiontuninghelp.moonfrui...ics/4511681555
That is a really good tutorial.

I am in the process of trying to dial in the stock suspension for my size & riding style (200lb with riding gear, NJ pine barrens riding), i'm not ready to pony up the $$ for revalves, springs, etc. until I know I can't live with what the bike came with.

That being said, is there any good suggestions for setting up the stock suspension from people who have already gone down this road?

I basically have all the clickers front & rear, rebound and compression set to 12 out right now and have not really had a chance to put it through it's paces yet. Is this a good starting point?
OCCR
--------------------------------
RacerXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #55
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
According to my reading of the manual, most of the factory settings are at 15 for standard with 10 for max load and 20 for comfort. One thing I haven't figured out yet is how respringing would affect these settings. For example, would you expect them to react the same regardless if the stock 80N/mm spring was installed or 100N/mm spring.

Another good reference I stumbled accross.

http://www1.enduroeng.com/storage/pd...c23-LOWRES.pdf
BigOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:30 AM   #56
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 371
The common issue I've heard from my 690 riding buddies is the harsh choppy feel of the standard 690E/R front end. Wears down your wrists, they say, and I would agree from the test rides I took.

Anyway, a couple of those guys swear on this DIY compression stack revalve:
- remove the compression valve from the forks
- measure the OEM comp stack shims, mark down the order, diameters and thickness of each shim
- the magic: change all 0.15mm thick shims into 0.10mm thick shims, keeping otherwise same diameters and order
- re-assemble and enjoy the plush ride

FinnDuro screwed with this post 02-16-2011 at 04:36 AM
FinnDuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:43 AM   #57
RacerXS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDuro View Post
The common issue I've heard from my 690 riding buddies is the harsh choppy feel of the standard 690E/R front end. Wears down your wrists, they say, and I would agree from the test rides I took.

Anyway, a couple of those guys swear on this DIY compression stack revalve:
- remove the compression valve from the forks
- measure the OEM comp stack shims, mark down the order, diameters and thickness of each shim
- the magic: change all 0.15mm thick shims into 0.10 shims, keeping otherwise same diameters and order
- re-assemble and enjoy the plush ride
Thanks for the tip Finn, if I feel like it's too harsh I may go down that road.

I am more looking for peoples experience in adjusting rebound & compression.......does the 690 work better in general on the softest setting, harder setting, etc.

I know a lot of this is subjective & riding conditions, but much of it many people agree that certain setting work better than others.

I noticed that the PO had the shock rebound set to 20 clicks out, and almost everything else was 10......was that for a reason?

I completely understand that i'm only going to get so much out of the settings, but I want to do the best I can with what I got for now...
OCCR
--------------------------------
RacerXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:02 AM   #58
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
Hey Crank, I started this thread but I am still running stock suspension on my 08. I am a cheap ass sometimes.. I have perfromed a service on the front end due to a leaking seal, and that is it. The biggest problem with the 08 suspension in my opinion anyway, is it is too stiff on small hits, tree roots, rocks, frozen dirt road with ripples and ruts, you really feel everything there. Lots of feedback at the bar. Then it is too soft on big hits, especially g-out situations. I think it needs softer valving, or at least initially softer and progressive valving, and stiffer springs.

That is exactly the way I feel about my 690e suspension . Feel every little annoying bump but it still bottoms out too easy on the big hits , so much that I have to slow down when I see a big g out coming & I`m only 85kg . I sold my 520 to get the 690 & I feel the 520 had far superior suspension . Maybe it`s something you can`t fix 100 percent because of the 2 inches less travel but I hope to get an improvement at some stage .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #59
olec
Rookie

Oddometer: 273
Will a 250mm long rear spring fit the 690R shock? (Coming from an EXC). I know its 30mm longer according to the books, but I haven't checked how much unused threads its there now.
olec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #60
GS simp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
All the 48mm KTM fork legs have the same taper and fit the same triple clamps (54mm on top, 60mm on the bottom). The 950/990 forks as well, they just have a bit more overlap on the sliders.
How do the 950/990 forks compare to the 690r ones lucas, can i change mine to say 950 adventure forks so i can have full adjustment.
cheers steve
GS simp is offline   Reply With Quote