User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
crazybrother OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Anyone DualSport a Honda CRF 450x?

I think, my hardcore off-road days are finally coming to a close. So a couple of years ago, I got my 2006 Honda CRF 450x plated and started doing alot more DualSport riding with some friends... (One who also has an '06) I now have a new 2012 Honda CRF 450x and it too is plated and i've been riding mostly on Dualsport rides (70% paved 30% dirt). So is there anyone else that does the same? I am slowly converting it to be more long distance ready. Does anyone have some suggestions?
Thanks.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a link to the build.

http://s227.photobucket.com/user/cra...%20450x?sort=4

I have since added a Pro Moto Billet rear rack. Will post up a new pic this week.
crazybrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
helipilot650l
Sweet!!!!!!

Oddometer: 164
Ya I just tried to plate me 07 crf450x here in oregon, and the guy at the dmv told me I could not get a plate for a dirt bike. Pissed me off. I know of 3 guys that just got theirs done up in Portland with no problems. Going to try again later at a different dmv office. Anyone else in oregon get a plate lately?
Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
I think all the DOT offices, no matter what state, have a list of models that don't license.
That said there have been and are ways around it.
You might contact your buddies to see what they have done to procure their plates.
I personally may have contacted the state of Oregon and ask what the procedure is.
The bike that your referring to may have come from other states plated.
Oregon may have just honored the title.
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
helipilot650l
Sweet!!!!!!

Ok got my Oregon Title back today and it doesn't say offroad on it anywhere. Any one got a clue or should I take to the dmv and see if it will pass?
Old 02-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 274
There's a good chance it'll pass, and many people say they get different results by going to different DMV offices.
I've heard there is a sticker on the frame of many bikes that says OFF HIGHWAY USE ONLY. I've also heard of that sticker "falling off" the bike.

Another option is the Vermont route. I've "heard" you can go to their webpage and register your bike with them, and they'll mail you the plate. No local address required. No Vermont visit required.
You do have to jump through the "did you pay sales tax" hoop, but that seems easy enough to figure out.
Don't ask me for more details, Google is your friend.

Think about that for a moment... you give them money to register your bike, they give you a plate, yet you never set foot in their state or wear out their roads.

That is such a win/win for them.

FTL900 screwed with this post 02-13-2014 at 03:46 PM
FTL900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,390
There are a few dualsported CRF450X's around, I rode a buddy's in Moab and liked it, could see owning one....but I would not do tons of street miles
It's plate would be for trail connecting or riding from the motel in Moab to the trail head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRW9751 View Post
I think all the DOT offices, no matter what state, have a list of models that don't license.
Nope... some states will plate anything.

There are several states doing what California has been doing, ie. looking up VIN's on the computer, and if it wasn't factory street legal it's a no-go, but there are still some places where it's easily done.
Many states will transfer an out of state title to a new in state title, regardless of the origin of the bike.....so bringing a plated dirtbike into a state that is tough to do internally, can be the only way.

Here in Colorado you have a list of things required to comply:

headlight (35w dirtbike light ok, no high beam req'd, no requirement it stay on w/ engine off)
tail light w/ brake light ($18 hydraulic switch)
mirror
horn
DOT tires (D606, MT21, etc)

no speedo/odo required....no turn signals...

Here, the Bill of Sale must say 'for offroad use only', which eliminates the need for a prior title search.

Take it to the State Trooper for a compliance check, take that paperwork and POI to DMV and get your plates.
I've had four two stroke dirtbikes plated, several XR Hondas, and a couple of pre-'07 RFS KTM's
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #7
helipilot650l
Sweet!!!!!!

Any other Street CRF450Xs out there???????
Old 03-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
mitchn06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
another option.....

South Dakota Plate
Old 03-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #9
S1.
Knuckle Dragger

Oddometer: 1
A buddy of mine has a Plated CRF450X in East Texas.
Don't believe it was big deal to get it done either.
S1. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
BrianF
Immoral & Immature

Oddometer: 38
crazybrother I didn't know you were on ADV. I bet you didn't know I was either haha. I'm sneaky like that.
BrianF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #11
helipilot650l
Sweet!!!!!!

Anyone else out there plated thier 450x? I got my title and it doesn't say off road on it! So as soon as I get back to work I will get it plated.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:49 AM   #12
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipilot650l View Post
Anyone else out there plated thier 450x? I got my title and it doesn't say off road on it! So as soon as I get back to work I will get it plated.
Yeah I have a street plate on mine, but I'm in Central Australia so it prob won't help you . I am seriously thinking about trying to bring it back to the states with me and looking to see if I can plate it.

That being said, personally I would not ride this bike long distance on the road simply because of the small amount of engine oil that it holds. CRF's only has oil coolers for sale and I think this would be a bit of a help (LINK) . However the engine in the bike is a race engine and designed for short maintenance intervals and will need a lot more TLC then a bike specifically designed for dual sport use. I mean the owners manual states in part " The CRF-X range of machines must not be used on sealed roads or surfaces." With a warning like that from the company that built the thing.....

YMMV and I'm interested to see how it goes. Good luck.

Canoli
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:51 AM   #13
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRW9751 View Post
That said there have been and are ways around it.
You might contact your buddies to see what they have done to procure their plates.
I personally may have contacted the state of Oregon and ask what the procedure is.
The bike that your referring to may have come from other states plated.
Oregon may have just honored the title.

Ohio you use the home built vehicle law to do the job. Lights/brake lights/horn/muffler/dot tires (at least at inspection) and the job is done.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #14
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,527
I have at least 3 friends riding street legal CRF450s, they all 3 love 'em, and they are all fast on them. The fastest is the guy in front of my Husky and the later pics.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:21 AM   #15
doggitter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Is it a bad idea putting the 450 in the 250L frame?

Loren
doggitter is offline   Reply With Quote