Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #1501
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Oddometer: 387
I've already put the package on the truck, but thanks for the info. I considered drilling it, but decided the smartest thing to do was to swap it for the Tusk bars; they have a slot rather than a hole at that end of the bar, and an extra joint allowing the clamp to hit the bar more squarely.

I hate to have to modify parts... can't send 'em back then.
Solomoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #1502
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot more time in this thread.

Winter Project Bike - '92 TW200

Now back to the beginning of this thread I go to see what I can learn before I start asking a pile of stupid questions that have already been answered a dozen times. If anyone has any words of wisdom they'd like to share, I'm certainly all ears!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #1503
2handedSpey
bunned

Oddometer: 237
I love these tw200!

Rode one for two days @ 7 hours straight each day. What a treat. Great little size, unlike my big fat KLR. Kinda wishing would've held put for a tw.
Great thread!
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:40 AM   #1504
EZman671
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
New O-Ring Chain

For new O-Ring Chain and 15/50 sprockets I was awaiting parts.

Lytle Racing got a new 50 tooth sprocket from AZ to FL in 3 days. Ordered Monday had it Wed. Already had the 15 T and new chain. Was wanting a new sprocket keeper as the prior owner had done a rough job of drilling it out to accept larger bolts. 6mm vs 5mm. Boats.net got me the new keeper in 5 days. Note some front sprockets use 6mm bolts and the OEM 14T uses 5mm bolts.

Everything back together. Works fine.

The new o-ring chain was very stiff out of the box. Seemed like it would use a lot of power to turn it.

Laid it out with the old chain to cut to size. Old non-o-ring chain was almost 2 inches longer than the new chain for same number of links (122). How much more can they stretch before they break?

Once on the TW - Wow - the bike shifts super smooth with no noticeable lose of power from the stiff chain. I bet once it turns a few times and the chain lubes (both internal and external) work in that it spins very easily.

You will find that o-ring chain is massive compared to non-o-ring. Much wider because of the o-rings.

Very happy with the new chain and sprockets.

If you were inclined to safety wire the master link as some do, be very careful as there is not much clearance near the front sprocket on the outboard side.

Clearance (for a small safety wire on master link) should not be a problem with a front sprocket that is not supported on the outboard end but that is not the case on a TW. If you feel the need to secure the master link a little extra maybe consider a little silicone caulk on it.
EZman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:59 AM   #1505
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,293
I know the TU 250's really get faster/better as they break in, its very dramatic, and I think its mostly the O ring chain that breaks in as the motor does not seem to do much breaking in.

O ring chains are fantastic, no adjustments to mine in 7000 miles, I did not have to adjust the one on my dr650, while any non O ring chain needed adjustments every day if you rode a lot.

I am still looking for a TW in South Jersey.
There was one listed local, sent an e mail, no response....

A local dealer has a new 2010 for $3600.00 but that is a lot of money to spend on a nice new bike that is going right into a swamp.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #1506
r80rt
Dirt road nomad

Oddometer: 125
Front Rack

I just finished building my front rack, just enough for a tool roll or a tent, I'll be bolting on the Yamaha rear rack later today.
Attached Images

r80rt screwed with this post 10-07-2011 at 03:20 PM
r80rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #1507
srileo
dot Indian snakecharmer

Oddometer: 892
The country cousin to the TW200... for africa overlanding...

All,
sometime yesterday, it occured to me that i could travel across south and east africa on a local bike that i purchased new in say Johannesburg and sold back at the end of my ride...

So, after a bit of looking around, i found the Yamaha AG200.

http://www.jhbyamaha.co.za/view_category.aspx?ID=104

What caught my immediate attention was that the redoubtable TW200 seemed to be its cousin. same looking engine!

I love the AGgie bike. it already comes with a nice wide seat, handlebar protectors, serious racks, good tire selection and 2 sidestands and best of all - any local mechanic there can fix it!

My questions;
1. How close are the TW and the AG under the hood?
2. Are there any reasons i should consider the TW200 for some gentle offroading in africa over the AG? (my main worry is finding spare rear tires for the TW in say, mozambique...)
3. What are the immediate farkles that are available for the TW that i could take with me to africa and bolt on to the AG? ( i dont need the cycleracks, but perhaps some jets, spares?)
4. What is the life expectancy of the TW tires...?

I realize i should first be reading this entire thread, but i only got to page 15. the search did not show any AG related material.

Regards,
Shridhar
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #1508
r80rt
Dirt road nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
I just finished building my front rack, what do you think? I'll be bolting on the Yamaha rear rack later today.
I got the rear rack in and bolted on. Then I built a bracket to mount the auxiliary gas tank left over from my old Honda trail 90. The can holds slightly over half a gallon, not much, but way better than walking.
Attached Images

r80rt screwed with this post 10-06-2011 at 03:21 PM
r80rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #1509
r80rt
Dirt road nomad

My frst day out with the new racks and spare tank mounted, had a great time running the back roads.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #1510
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
nice racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
My frst day out with the new racks and spare tank mounted, had a great time running the back roads.
glad to see you guys doing this , let me know if i can help in any way, mike
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #1511
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Finally got the Tusk handlebar protectors on last night (along with the spring I lost, yes, I found it just as soon as I bought a replacement) and took a short ride today. I'm really pleased with the Tusk bar guard and protector set; it cost me about $10.00 less than the Moose set, went on without any drilling, and felt as strong if not stronger than the Moose gear.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #1512
bdmmotard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah View Post
So I got a set of Moose Aluminum Handguards for a birthday present, but they don't fit the stock bars. I may be the only person on Earth who likes the stock TW200 bars, but the fact is, I don't want to change them. Can anyone suggest a sturdy full-wrap handguard that does fit them? Preferably one with nice matching plastic protectors available.

I like the stock bars too, mostly because they seem to have a perfect pull back to em. Unfortunately after bending 3 pairs i'm done with em. My .02, when you get tired of bending the stockers put on some renthals/tag/protaper etc with the cr high bend, Not spot on but more similar pullback than any of the standard mx bars.

Totally unrelated. I took a turn hard right, then flipped it over to left for the next turn. As I swung the bike right to left, right at the top with the bike mostly upright i lost the front wheel, lowsided hard, dislocating my shoulder and heading to the er. All because the suspension failed to rebound.

Culprit turned out to be heavier fork oil that the previous owner (before goodcat) put in. I put the bike back to 10 weight and she's back to handling well. I just mention this because I know the heavier fork oil is a common mod to firm up the suspension.
bdmmotard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #1513
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmmotard View Post
I like the stock bars too, mostly because they seem to have a perfect pull back to em. Unfortunately after bending 3 pairs i'm done with em. My .02, when you get tired of bending the stockers put on some renthals/tag/protaper etc with the cr high bend, Not spot on but more similar pullback than any of the standard mx bars.

Totally unrelated. I took a turn hard right, then flipped it over to left for the next turn. As I swung the bike right to left, right at the top with the bike mostly upright i lost the front wheel, lowsided hard, dislocating my shoulder and heading to the er. All because the suspension failed to rebound.

Culprit turned out to be heavier fork oil that the previous owner (before goodcat) put in. I put the bike back to 10 weight and she's back to handling well. I just mention this because I know the heavier fork oil is a common mod to firm up the suspension.
I'm sorry to hear of your accident. I hope you're healing well. Thanks for the good tip regarding the fork oil!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:21 AM   #1514
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmmotard View Post
Ack. Haven't bent 'em yet. Hitting that hard would put an old man like me out of action for a while, I'm afraid. I just got the hand guards to keep the branches and other crap off of my hands.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:08 AM   #1515
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Just acquired a '92 TW200 with 1936 miles on the odometer. Guess I'll be
spending more time over here than on the XR250 thread. We're heading
for a couple of 100mile+ loops in Death Valley this weekend, so I'll find out
just how well the TW fits me. Ant suggestions as to air pressures for the
dirt roads/trails/blacktop? And any modifications that would be helpful.