Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #1561
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Thanks for the info.
Does anyone know, besides the changes made in 2001 I think, if all the other parts are the same?
Same motor parts?
I read the 1995 does not have a trip meter???
Would the 95 take the newer speedometer?
I use the trip meter to tell when I will need gas...

A kick starter is nice to have, the drum brakes likely work fine off road, I do not do much night dirt riding so the lower power headlight is not a big deal, I like manual carbs over the CV ones, so its all good except maybe the trip meter...
I think one thing that changed a few times over the years was the stator and some other electrical stuff, not just in 2001. I think the cam adjuster is different after 2001 as well, but not sure. Otherwise the motor should be the same aside from stator.

A few of the Tdub guys use those trailtech units as a speedo and odometer. Others use a gps. I think a gps with a bar attachment would be better since you're offroading. As far as the trip meter goes, I couldn't say for sure if it would work.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #1562
DingDangKid
The milk man.

Oddometer: 1,887
parts needed..

I took a pretty nasty spill around 40mph blasting down some jeep trails in the bald eagle state forest a month or so ago. The rear cyclerack kept the ass end from getting damaged but the front got a bit busted up. We didn't have the right tools so I spent the next 60 miles of single and double track with my handlebars positioned at 4 o' clock.

So, does anyone have a fork brace and/or front axle laying around? I'm sure
I can find one on fleabay but I'd rather send my money to an inmate.

Thanks,

Spencer

How am I supposed to think out of the box; if they don't let me out of the box?
DingDangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:23 AM   #1563
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,614
That has happened to me hundreds of times.
I just kick the wheel back into line, or sometimes bash the wheel against a tree till its lined up again.
I NEVER used any tools to set it right....

I never crashed bad enough to actually bend anything other then bones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerCompton View Post
I took a pretty nasty spill around 40mph blasting down some jeep trails in the bald eagle state forest a month or so ago. The rear cyclerack kept the ass end from getting damaged but the front got a bit busted up. We didn't have the right tools so I spent the next 60 miles of single and double track with my handlebars positioned at 4 o' clock.

So, does anyone have a fork brace and/or front axle laying around? I'm sure
I can find one on fleabay but I'd rather send my money to an inmate.

Thanks,

Spencer
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:31 AM   #1564
NJ-Brett
Brett

I wonder if the new parts will retrofit to the older bikes.
That might be the stator and regulator for the electrical system...not that I really need any more power.
The automatic cam chain adjuster might be an easy retrofit.

In a lot of area's in the pinelands, gas is not close, and with the little tank on the TW, I would have to be careful, carry spare gas or head out to gas up at some point.
The trip meter is what I use on all bikes to tell when to worry about gas...
I thought ALL bikes had one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
I think one thing that changed a few times over the years was the stator and some other electrical stuff, not just in 2001. I think the cam adjuster is different after 2001 as well, but not sure. Otherwise the motor should be the same aside from stator.

A few of the Tdub guys use those trailtech units as a speedo and odometer. Others use a gps. I think a gps with a bar attachment would be better since you're offroading. As far as the trip meter goes, I couldn't say for sure if it would work.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:58 AM   #1565
DingDangKid
The milk man.

Oddometer: 1,887
Quote:
That has happened to me hundreds of times.
I just kick the wheel back into line, or sometimes bash the wheel against a tree till its lined up again.
I NEVER used any tools to set it right....

I never crashed bad enough to actually bend anything other then bones...
tried kicking and bashing it into a tree with no luck, the fork brace(fender mount) got tweaked pretty good. I've tried straightening that out since I got it off the bike but it's just shitty cast metal and doesn't want to cooperate.

How am I supposed to think out of the box; if they don't let me out of the box?
DingDangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #1566
KIC
Proud Army Dad

Oddometer: 1,078
Right side panel

Hi guys ! Hey, following the belief that no good deed goes unpunished, I loaned one of my 02 TW's to a friend for the DMV riding test. I just got it back minus the right side panel. Just thought I would check and see if any body happened to have one they would sell. Here is a picture of the one on my other TW.
Attached Images

1985 Yamaha YZ 250 - Sold
KIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #1567
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Thanks for the info.
Does anyone know, besides the changes made in 2001 I think, if all the other parts are the same?
Same motor parts?
I read the 1995 does not have a trip meter???
Would the 95 take the newer speedometer?
I use the trip meter to tell when I will need gas...

A kick starter is nice to have, the drum brakes likely work fine off road, I do not do much night dirt riding so the lower power headlight is not a big deal, I like manual carbs over the CV ones, so its all good except maybe the trip meter...
Here is some more information I compiled after a quick search at the TW specific forum (www.TW200forum.com), which may be helpful. This is not my information, but information taken from different forum posts. I also believe the 1987 model does in fact have a starter as I've seen photo's of them with "Electric" sticker on the side covers and what appears to be a starter. However, I see many 87 owners are reporting problems of obtaining electrial replacement parts and components (CDI for example).

First Gen, if you will was 1987 only, first year of the TW. It had a separate lighting coil; the lights only came on if the bike was running. It had no front running light feature and the safeties were wired slightly differently from subsequent runs. It used a 1987-specific CDI unit. The left engine side cover only accommodates the 1987 charging/lighting system.

Second Gen was '88-'01. It had an improved single phase, self-contained charging system, CDI was specific to those years, 35 watt headlamp, had front running lights and essentially the same system for the entire run. Left side engine cover again only accommodates components from these years

Third Gen '01 to present. They have a higher output three phase charging system, higher wattage headlamp, and their own corresponding CDI unit and push cancelling turn signals. Another slight difference is the left side cover.

More general information:
All TW's are great bikes. Some (slightly} greater than others, depending on your point of view.

'87's had one-year-only charging systems and ignition modules. Aside from that, they are essentially no different from an '88-2000 model. They're becoming a parts problem with regard ONLY to the electrical systems.

In 2001, Yamaha giveth us a front disc brake, (but taketh away our kick starter) slightly more alternator output, a new CV carburetor, and a resettable trip meter.

So basically the bike has had 3 versions of charging system, picked up a disc brake and lost its kick starter in 24-odd years.

All plastics are interchangeable from year one to present. Lots of lovely Barbie colors over the years if yer into that. lol

The basic motor is the same and all parts will interchange except for the left side covers, which have slightly different castings to accommodate the different charging systems over the years. Later models had a self-adjusting cam chain adjuster.

Quality control has worsened considerably on the later model motors, so watch for base gasket leaks. Yamaha has issued a Band-Aid in the form of an "improved" base gasket, but the real problem stems from crappy cases. Some suck, some don't.

All front end parts will swap between years. The disc front end differs from the drum only in the lower legs and that the lower triple tree has a tapped hole for the brake hose mount.

The late model carb drives from the right, early model's cables are on the left.

Swing arms and rear wheels are all the same.

Gas tanks are all the same except later models got a smaller gas cap and Cali models have a fitting for a vapor hose.

Early models have better starter solenoids, relays, and electrical components overall, IMO.
Later models have more output and slightly more protected wiring harnesses.

Lower fork legs lost their drain screws at some point. Early models had them.

Kickstands, frame gussets and welds are better on the older units. Whether this was necessary or not is arguable, but they are different.

The only real interchangeability problems I've encountered have been between the electrical systems, wiring harnesses and switchgear. Lots of variations here, with minor, sniggling changes to the various connectors and components.
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #1568
NJ-Brett
Brett

Wow, thanks much for the info!
The 1995 sounds great then, with only the trip meter an issue with me.
I love having a kick starter, had a lot of bikes up to 750's without electric start and never wanted it on any bike really.
The non cv carb sounds like a winner, the electrical system I dont care about as long as I can get parts for it.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #1569
mykdee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Added the side pelican cases today! What do you guys think?

Name:  IMG_5627.JPG
Views: 1772
Size:  69.7 KB
mykdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #1570
mykdee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Name:  IMG_5629.JPG
Views: 1893
Size:  67.1 KB
mykdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #1571
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,806
Like em! Got them on my WeeStrom but going with Dirtbagz on the TW

First gots to buy a battery after 6 years and 34 miles mine gave up
RIDE SAFE
I like to Bitch and Moan!
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #1572
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno View Post
... after 6 years and 34 miles ...
Dude, WHAT? Don't you ride that thing???
Solomoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #1573
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah View Post
Dude, WHAT? Don't you ride that thing???
Just bought it and wife hasnt done the ms course so no ride and I am beginning to like it and she may have to buy her own. Only had 27 miles when I bought it.....it is a ball for a 63 yo like me....my feet even touch the ground.
RIDE SAFE
Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #1574
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
First gots to buy a battery after 6 years and 34 miles mine gave up
Having trouble finding trouble finding any thing but an acid filled battery for the 04 TDUB and I live in Kansas City. Will try BMW dealer tomorrow
RIDE SAFE
Old 10-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #1575
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Having trouble finding trouble finding any thing but an acid filled battery for the 04 TDUB and I live in Kansas City. Will try BMW dealer tomorrow
Doesn't WalMart have a maintenance free battery that will fit the TDub?

I really like my Mototcross/Yuasu, YTZ7S battery, but I ordered it online.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote