Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #1651
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
My TW will start without the "choke",but it idles REAL sluggishly until I pull the "choke" out to the first notch....then it purrs right along(rpm's elevate....then shut off after 10 seconds or so.)....so I guess the #130 main I put in did the trick.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #1652
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Oddometer: 387
I ran the 130 main all last year with decent results, but since everyone said I needed the 132.5, I put it in this year. I really haven't noticed much difference, except for a slight drop in mileage; I might switch back over the winter.
Solomoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #1653
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Sweet TW

Well, a little bulky, but it does look awesome.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...show-concepts/

More like "solid mod" than "hollow mod"
nick2ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #1654
DingDangKid
The milk man.

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Well, a little bulky, but it does look awesome.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...show-concepts/

More like "solid mod" than "hollow mod"

Who do I write the check out too? or should I just bring a stack of Franklin's? I hope it's not water cooled though.

DingDangKid screwed with this post 11-09-2011 at 08:36 PM
DingDangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #1655
sKatZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Must. Have. Ryoku.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:28 AM   #1656
NYP797
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Best City Bike?

Over on Road Warriors there is a thread on what would be the best city bike. Having tried a Vespa style Bajaj scooter, and for several years my Yamaha Zuma, this Ryoku is the perfect evolution to answer many of the niggles I've not yet gone with the TW. Namely a bit low in cc's, piddling brakes and not rugged enough for the wilds of Manhattan and all of inner city New York. This reincarnation really looks up to the task. So many cities have crappy roads, way out of date in addressing pot hole repairs, ruts and expansion joint moguls. And every cold season it reaches nearly life threatening degradation.
I really, Really, REALLY hope Yamaha realizes that this bike needs to be made and imported into the States. If the TW200 has made it this far, and continues in production then they must know it's inherent value. I'm not advocating we launch a petition, but heavily expressed rider interest is the kind of marketing gage all manufacturers take note of. Just sayin.
NYP797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:08 AM   #1657
FootDoc
Gas it

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYP797 View Post
Over on Road Warriors there is a thread on what would be the best city bike. Having tried a Vespa style Bajaj scooter, and for several years my Yamaha Zuma, this Ryoku is the perfect evolution to answer many of the niggles I've not yet gone with the TW. Namely a bit low in cc's, piddling brakes and not rugged enough for the wilds of Manhattan and all of inner city New York. This reincarnation really looks up to the task. So many cities have crappy roads, way out of date in addressing pot hole repairs, ruts and expansion joint moguls. And every cold season it reaches nearly life threatening degradation.
I really, Really, REALLY hope Yamaha realizes that this bike needs to be made and imported into the States. If the TW200 has made it this far, and continues in production then they must know it's inherent value. I'm not advocating we launch a petition, but heavily expressed rider interest is the kind of marketing gage all manufacturers take note of. Just sayin.
I gotta disagree, The TW is more than able to cope with NYC traffic. Ive had mine in NYC for 3 years, have done everything from commuting to midtown, to taking out to the hamptons on the weekend (WFO on the LIE). Its been reliable, fun, and insurance is cheap.

Although that Ryoku really looks like what the TW needs after not really being changed since '87.

FootDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #1658
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Thumb Wow! XTW250!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerCompton View Post

Who do I write the check out too? or should I just bring a stack of Franklin's? I hope it's not water cooled though.
This is the first NEW bike in a long time that I actually did a search on to get more information about. But, only a concept. So far....

I do hope Yamaha builds it for the US as well as the world.
What an excellent ADV bike it looks to be.

No radiator in sight and I think I can see fins on the cylinder so hopefully it is not liquid cooled, although an oil cooler like the DR650 has would be ideal.

I haven't bought a new bike in... 40 years.... (how's that possible??) but this is one I would seriously consider buying new instead of waiting a few years to get one used like all my other rides.

Of course I can already envision the changes I would want to make and additions, but that is part of the enjoyment I think.
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #1659
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Oddometer: 387
It doesn't look like they changed the core of the bike all that much... extra displacement, disc brake on the rear, but same tires and mostly the same engine (as far as you can see in the picture). It's that cavernous gas tank and flat seat that I want...
Solomoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #1660
VitaBrevis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerCompton View Post

Aside from the bigger tank, I'm not that impressed... I guess I just don't like messing with a good thing. Maybe if they still offered the standard TW and this as another bike or an option package...

Edit: Just remembered the AG200... did the markets that got that beast still get the TW?
VitaBrevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #1661
DingDangKid
The milk man.

The motor really isn't that new is it? Don't they make a TW250 over seas? Also, an oil cooler would be a much nicer addition than a radiator. The simplicity of the TW is why I've bought/sold bikes but always kept it. Well that and its such a hoot to ride.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #1662
redcatcher81
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Looks like an up-armored t-dub to me...
redcatcher81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #1663
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Talking Visible differences XTW to TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah View Post
It doesn't look like they changed the core of the bike all that much... extra displacement, disc brake on the rear, but same tires and mostly the same engine (as far as you can see in the picture). It's that cavernous gas tank and flat seat that I want...

Notice that the frame is completely new.

This one has twin front down tubes and the top tube looks to be replaced with the two side tubes from the swingarm pivot area to the headstock. Also the frame tubes going back to support the racks are new. But the rest is as you said, mostly TW200 with bolt-on stuff that we would like to buy.

The new frame gives me hope that it might be a pre-production exercise to gauge interest. Otherwise I think they could have done the same changes to a stock TW frame.

I agree, I want the fuel tank and seat! And it still needs an oil cooler.
Now if IMS or other would make us a plastic tank like this one, they would sell a bunch of 'em I think.

And a different color.... I like yellow, but not on this bike.

I think this color scheme would be more fitting for the purpose...
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...m-motorcycles/
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #1664
r80rt
Dirt road nomad

Oddometer: 125
If that makes it from concept to America, I'll buy the first one I see.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #1665
DingDangKid
The milk man.

TW wintererizing

So the best of the TW riding season is fast approaching and I started to do some basic maintance.

First is cleaning and then the carb is coming off.

Ooooh what's that in the background!

Hmm... If I had any fabrication skills, this would be neat!