Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #1876
Point37
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
i paid $24 for the cheap ebay ones from this seller...haven't installed them yet
http://myworld.ebay.com/nine-cnc/
Point37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #1877
VitaBrevis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Hoping for a little help...

Had a low speed u-turn spill on the left side... Got the bike upright and oil started spilling out the air box. Drained the air box, topped up the oil, started it up.... clouds of white smoke!!!!! Decided to take a chance riding it home (less than 20mi). After about a half mile, the smoke cleared out. Other than that it did ok besides a little stutter up a small incline. Should I be looking at anything else?

While I'm here... I've got about 10k on it with no valve adjustment in at least 5k (ever, to my knowledge)... what sort of interval are you guys looking at for service?

TIA
VitaBrevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #1878
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,760
TW in central Arkansas

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/mcy/2787023113.html

this just listed in central AR, looks like a good deal, about 40 miles from where I sit. Don't have a TW now, but I'm a big fan, and this one looks clean.... if someone was interested, i might be convinced to ride over there and check it out for another ADVer
dogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #1879
VitaBrevis
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBrevis View Post
Had a low speed u-turn spill on the left side... Got the bike upright and oil started spilling out the air box. Drained the air box, topped up the oil, started it up.... clouds of white smoke!!!!! Decided to take a chance riding it home (less than 20mi). After about a half mile, the smoke cleared out. Other than that it did ok besides a little stutter up a small incline. Should I be looking at anything else?

While I'm here... I've got about 10k on it with no valve adjustment in at least 5k (ever, to my knowledge)... what sort of interval are you guys looking at for service?

TIA
OK!!! Bike's fine!!! For those of you that haven't dealt with the weak aluminum on the drain plug, here's a little tip. JB Weld a socket onto the plug and it won't strip.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #1880
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBrevis View Post
OK!!! Bike's fine!!! For those of you that haven't dealt with the weak aluminum on the drain plug, here's a little tip. JB Weld a socket onto the plug and it won't strip.

Im sticking with 6point and care who know what will happen ifin a big rock hits that socket JMO
Old 01-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #1881
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno View Post
Im sticking with 6point and care who know what will happen ifin a big rock hits that socket JMO
I had to do the same fix because no amount of care was getting that thing loose.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #1882
VitaBrevis
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno View Post
Yeah, that would've been my first choice and I'm ordering a replacement anyway, but it's mostly a commuter bike and I can wait a while to hit the trails.

But, like assquatch says, that thing was NOT moving!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #1883
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveller

Oddometer: 154
Bought another TW... New 2009 left-over

I've been looking for another slightly used late model TW (2005 or newer) for my wife ever since I bought my slightly used 2008 TW ($2200 OTD to the dealer) six weeks ago (she said I had to find another or she would be keeping my 2008!).

I've been daily searching Craigslist, local dealerships, Cycletrader, Bikefinds, etc... My searches have found used TWs at prices pretty high IMHO (for the year model) most dealers within 500 miles of me wanted MSRP (or close) plus dealer prep, freight, admin, etc... regardless of year 2010, 2011 & 2012. One of my local Yamaha dealers had a new left-over 2009 (2 miles on the clock) tag said $3990 MSRP but he said he'd sell it for $3600 plus fees... I offered him $3000, he laughed at first, and on each of my weekly visits I made to same offer (the last 6 weeks) he went down a little more & said he would not go under $3400 plus dealers fees. Well today he accepted my $3000 OTD offer! Out came the credit card & ten minutes later I had a new 2009 for my wife. I guess persistence works.

What a relief, now I get to keep my 2008... my wife gets her own brand new 2009... And now I'm looking forward to improving her riding skills, getting her license and the two of us doing some casual on & off road riding & travel... Need to order cycleracks, handguards, RAM mount, another Battery Tender & female 12v plug to get them outfitted the same...

The long term goal is for my wife to also get a Versys and then we'll do some big miles cross-country travel... along with slower, shorter travel & camping on the TWs...

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Yamaha TW200, 2013 Honda CRF250L

I'm never lost... Because I'm always right where I'm at...

Kankujoe screwed with this post 01-11-2012 at 10:02 PM
Kankujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #1884
gplane
Brush With Destiny

Oddometer: 807
Good score on the T-dub!
gplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #1885
JJMTCHNV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Talking Mama's new T-Dub!

Hey All. So I just picked up an 01' because my girl wants to learn to ride. She's learning very quikly and having alot of fun. I've been riding it too Damn is this thing fun! its been awhile since I've been on a dirt bike but this thing is so confidence inspiring I can't stay off of it. Its an 01' with about 9k. I dont know how the PO put that many miles on it without it showing more age. looks new exept for the frame rubbing. Tires are new and the guy had owners manual, shop manual, extra tubes (fr & r), and a replacement seat cover. I need to check the valves, and the gearing seems alittle off. on rocky trail i always wanna b between 1st & 2nd. But loving it so far!
Attached Images

JJMTCHNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #1886
JJMTCHNV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
anther pic

srry. cell phone pic
Attached Images

JJMTCHNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #1887
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveller

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMTCHNV View Post
srry. cell phone pic
Congrats on the new TW!

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Yamaha TW200, 2013 Honda CRF250L

I'm never lost... Because I'm always right where I'm at...
Kankujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #1888
DirtHopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
I took my TW down a powerline road the other day with a friend and noticed a clunking in the rear suspention when you leave the ground. I didn't realize it but there is NO BOLT holding the shock in place. It's just a big pin with a washer and cotter pin holding it in So a haevy shoulder bolt needs to take its place to secure the suspention. speaking of which, I haven't seen to much in upgrading the suspention. anyone have any conversions to give it just a little bit better than stock, maybe a couple inches more travel? just curious
Old 01-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #1889
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtHopper View Post
I took my TW down a powerline road the other day with a friend and noticed a clunking in the rear suspention when you leave the ground. I didn't realize it but there is NO BOLT holding the shock in place. It's just a big pin with a washer and cotter pin holding it in So a haevy shoulder bolt needs to take its place to secure the suspention. speaking of which, I haven't seen to much in upgrading the suspention. anyone have any conversions to give it just a little bit better than stock, maybe a couple inches more travel? just curious
Here's some rear shock info from the TW200 forum website that might be helpful for what you are looking for.

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/1144-rear-shock/

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #1890
DirtHopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
Here's some rear shock info from the TW200 forum website that might be helpful for what you are looking for.

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/1144-rear-shock/
thanks, that does help. now if I can just find some info for the front