User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2009, 09:16 PM   #196
Purzell
Wheelie scared

Oddometer: 150
Hey MrGismow

Looks like lots of good riding up in Paradise. I'm in Sacramento. You have any favorite trails to recommend?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #197
xcb
On a Love Mission

Oddometer: 173
Gizmow! The TW genius! Yay!

I wonder if Ben Perry has an account over here? He's a bit too manly for this board, I reckon.

While I'm here:

Just got an old Kolpin Jr 1.25 pack and bracket today. Has anyone had any luck installing them downwards? Almost like pannier brackets?
xcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #198
Wolfjack
Fighting Old Age

Oddometer: 5
66 year old rider needs TW200 to be softer

I'm 66 years old and mostly ride forestery service roads and occasionally mildly rough trails on a TW200. Is ther anyone that can tell me how I can or who could make it softer.

Thanks, Wolfjack
Wolfjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #199
xcb
On a Love Mission

If you're talking about softness on the tuchus, then I promise you that purple sheepskin helps a whole lot.

Seriously.

Buttery.
xcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:34 AM   #200
Surfn54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Wolfjack.......In my opininion, the FIRST thing to go on the tw200 is the seat. I went with SargentCycle, http://www.sargentcycle.com/custserv.htm but there is http://renazco.com/ and a few others. Its well worth the 3-400.00 and it will fix your problem. You will think you are now riding a different bike.
Also, look into raising your bars up a little, you can go a max of 2" without any cable changes.
I highly recommend the Roxrisers http://www.roxspeedfx.com/

SurFn
Surfn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:10 AM   #201
threerun
Montana'eer!!!

Stearns makes a seat cover that a lot of folks use. Cheap- like $17 something at Wally World in the ATV section.

It's not as plush as the sheepskin, and more than likely not as comfy as a $300-$400 seat upgrade, but it sure makes a difference. I've got one on my TW and it works great.

threerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #202
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by threerun
Stearns makes a seat cover that a lot of folks use. Cheap- like $17 something at Wally World in the ATV section.

It's not as plush as the sheepskin, and more than likely not as comfy as a $300-$400 seat upgrade, but it sure makes a difference. I've got one on my TW and it works great.
This one is use a lot on the KLR! and why not the DR, I can say it works 2 ways, first it gives you a better seat, and 2) if you want to be a little taller (maybe +1 in.) it will also do it.

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #203
DUSTSTROM
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I'm about to get the GF off the back of my bike and teach her how to ride her own, I'm sure the TW200 is a great beginner bike and a fun bike but should I get her learn on a more "conventional" bike like a XT250? I'd like to move her up one day to a 400 or 650, so if one of our bikes has a problem we can ride out two up.
We found a 09 TW200 with 125 miles on it for $3000, she seems most at ease on it due to the seat height.
TW200 or a 250, or does it even matter? We'll be rideing on mostly dirt logging roads and maybe 30% on pavement.

Duststrom
DUSTSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #204
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTSTROM
I'm about to get the GF off the back of my bike and teach her how to ride her own, I'm sure the TW200 is a great beginner bike and a fun bike but should I get her learn on a more "conventional" bike like a XT250? I'd like to move her up one day to a 400 or 650, so if one of our bikes has a problem we can ride out two up.
We found a 09 TW200 with 125 miles on it for $3000, she seems most at ease on it due to the seat height.
TW200 or a 250, or does it even matter? We'll be rideing on mostly dirt logging roads and maybe 30% on pavement.

Duststrom
Buy it! You'll both love the thing.
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #205
tommyg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
I bought a 06 for my girlfriend to learn on It was the right choice over the dr200. We use it on country roads and two tracks and single track. The big tires off road really help her. At 5-4 its a little tall,but not bad. great learning bike and I like it too.
tommyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:26 AM   #206
mutt2jeff
Keep firing assholes!

Oddometer: 972
Airing down the tires a lot did wonders for my girlfriends off-road confidence, especially on the really rocky trailer we have here. Riding the TW is a breeze, and even though she has another bike now I dont think she will ever get rid of it.

The only thing Homeopathy cures is dehydration.
mutt2jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #207
DUSTSTROM
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks, we're going today to pick her up.
DUSTSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #208
funster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfjack
I'm 66 years old and mostly ride forestery service roads and occasionally mildly rough trails on a TW200. Is ther anyone that can tell me how I can or who could make it softer.

Thanks, Wolfjack
yea im 67 and i bought a 09 the other day fun to ride but the suspention sucks. put on 45 mi. on forest roads and it beat me up. im starting with the rear shock either change spring or considering changing position of lower mount to put more leverage on the shock. will let you know what i come up with.
funster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #209
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Question Talk me out of purchasing a TW200

Lately I've been reading everything I can find on the web about the TW200.
I'm starting to think I need to unload my Vespa GTS250ie and get one.
All I do with the vespa is back and forth to work (2mi one way all residential) and make beer runs to the store and runs to Lowes and Home Depot for little stuff, but I keep seeing all these little pig trails I would like to explore on a small lightweight capable trail bike. I already have a large heavyweight & capable DS bike (BMW R1200GS) but as some of you may know it's just to big to get really jiggy with on the trails.
Would the TW do well for city riding? I know from reading this forum it will do everything I would ask of it off road but I suspect my use would be more than 70% on road in town riding. My local YamazukiKawaHonda dealer says I can test ride it as long as I want after I give them $4000.
What pearls of wisdom have y'all got for me?
Clint Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #210
Streamin' E
Half-assed adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro22
Lately I've been reading everything I can find on the web about the TW200.
I'm starting to think I need to unload my Vespa GTS250ie and get one.
All I do with the vespa is back and forth to work (2mi one way all residential) and make beer runs to the store and runs to Lowes and Home Depot for little stuff, but I keep seeing all these little pig trails I would like to explore on a small lightweight capable trail bike. I already have a large heavyweight & capable DS bike (BMW R1200GS) but as some of you may know it's just to big to get really jiggy with on the trails.
Would the TW do well for city riding? I know from reading this forum it will do everything I would ask of it off road but I suspect my use would be more than 70% on road in town riding. My local YamazukiKawaHonda dealer says I can test ride it as long as I want after I give them $4000.
What pearls of wisdom have y'all got for me?
I think you'd better buy one.
Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their “betters.”- Tom Sowell
Streamin' E is offline   Reply With Quote