Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #211
StromBoni
Hot Dog Captain

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro22
Lately I've been reading everything I can find on the web about the TW200.

Would the TW do well for city riding? I know from reading this forum it will do everything I would ask of it off road but I suspect my use would be more than 70% on road in town riding. My local YamazukiKawaHonda dealer says I can test ride it as long as I want after I give them $4000.
What pearls of wisdom have y'all got for me?
I live in Chicago, and for most of the year, a DR650 is my only transportation. However, during the winter months, anytime there is snow or ice on the ground, I grab the wife's TW and use it for my commute. It is a great little city bike. The only thing I don't like is when there is an open street with stop signs/lights a block apart. Because the gearing is so short, you end up shifting a lot. Shift up 3 times, down three times, up three times, down three times... over and over and over...
StromBoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:09 AM   #212
switz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
On this and other TW200 commentaries, one find that the engine can get really hot at higher speeds. If the commute has speeds less than 45 mph, I think all will be well. I would not go too long between oil changes.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #213
threerun
Montana'eer!!!

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro22
Lately I've been reading everything I can find on the web about the TW200.
I'm starting to think I need to unload my Vespa GTS250ie and get one.
All I do with the vespa is back and forth to work (2mi one way all residential) and make beer runs to the store and runs to Lowes and Home Depot for little stuff, but I keep seeing all these little pig trails I would like to explore on a small lightweight capable trail bike. I already have a large heavyweight & capable DS bike (BMW R1200GS) but as some of you may know it's just to big to get really jiggy with on the trails.
Would the TW do well for city riding? I know from reading this forum it will do everything I would ask of it off road but I suspect my use would be more than 70% on road in town riding. My local YamazukiKawaHonda dealer says I can test ride it as long as I want after I give them $4000.
What pearls of wisdom have y'all got for me?
I run the piss out of it in town. I put a cycleracks rear on the back, strapped a MOLLE pack to it, and I can load 2 suitcases of beer on it.. If I want to detour and hit the powerlines on the way home from work I can do that too.

I had the same thoughts when diesel was $5 a gallon (and my 'car' is a 98 2500 Ram Cummins 4x4), considering a scooter for putzing to work. I saw the TW200 for sale locally, tried it, bought it, and love it. I'll get a larger bike at some point, but I am NOT selling my dirt-scooter. came close to considering it in the winter, but came to realize this little thing does exactly what I want. Cheap, reliable commuter and go-getter with the ability to explore some back trails. Hell- near 80mpg and fun to boot, what's not to like? I changed the front sprocket from a 14 to a 15 and it really helps around town. Keeps the revs down at 45-55mph roads.

threerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #214
funster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy1
picked up a 2006 w/500 miles last night...

Wide pegs, carb jetting are 1st on the list!
i have a 09 the throttle response was terrible so i drilled the slide air hole next to where the needle is a little larger and shimed the needle up 20thds. runs great. BILL
funster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:34 AM   #215
Laconic
Hard Core

Oddometer: 15,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown

Sweet!
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #216
johnnydanger
Dangerous!

Oddometer: 62
I don't own a TW, but I saw a... whacked out one in Shibuya, Tokyo:

2007 BMW XChallenge
2007 Ducati GT1000
2006 BMW K1200R
2006 Aprilia SR50
johnnydanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #217
tpar1220
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,487
Quote:
i have a 09 the throttle response was terrible so i drilled the slide air hole next to where the needle is a little larger and shimed the needle up 20thds. runs great. BILL
i have heard to much of this for it not to be true. my 07 has no throttle response.

shimming the needle, i get that... thats no problem. but drilling the slide? not so much.

help a brutha out, you wouldn't happen to have any pics of this would ya. i wanna do this, but i prolly should know exactly what i am drilling before i drill.

thanks in advance..
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #218
Speed Rayzor
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I just picked up a 700 mile 04' TW200 "for the wife" last night.

It was a perfect night for a 65 mile ride home and I was really surprised how well that little dude did on the highway.

Pics to come soon.......
Speed Rayzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #219
peelu
Fantan

Oddometer: 7

Hey guys, Nice to see a TW200 specific forum on ADV rider. Anyways, I just replaced my stock chain with a D.I.D o ring chain and the shifting is really notchy feeling. I did notice that the chain was a whole lot stiffer than the stock chain, so perhaps this is to blame. I have the tension pretty decent, as I know this seems to be pretty important for smooth shifting. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this after replacing the chain?
peelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #220
turbonotch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
i haven't owned a TW200 for a few years... but i wrote one of the first reviews on this site about 5 years ago because nobody seemed interested at the time. yet they raved about the Super Sherpa? bah.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=TW200

it was just too quirky of a bike NOT to try

i sold it to pay for a crosscountry trip - but have been missing it ever since. it is THE ESSENCE of what motorcycling is... basic, instinctual fun

since then, i've watched torturously as you guys continually find new, interesting ways to modify the old T.urkey W.ing 25 years after the fact. I'm loving the ATV tires, wider pegs, carb jetting, and bigger tanks! Cheap, simple, effective upgrades.

I think that combined with the cycleracks rear rack will make it a great tool... for the job of having fun.

like many of you, i been working an angle justifying another purchase. my girlfriend wants to learn to ride and she's pretty short. just so happens many states use the TW200 for rider training courses

seems like a good enough reason for me
*2003 KTM 250EXC - 'SJER/ECEA bike' **2003 KTM 300EXC - 'Rock Bike' **1999 YZ125/500cc hybrid - 'Adrenaline' **1992 DR350S - 'day tripper' **1978 YZ400 - 'Vintage Big Bore **1981 Kawasaki KL250 - 'Dad's' **1979 Yamaha MX100 - 'lost & found'
turbonotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:26 AM   #221
threerun
Montana'eer!!!

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by peelu

Hey guys, Nice to see a TW200 specific forum on ADV rider. Anyways, I just replaced my stock chain with a D.I.D o ring chain and the shifting is really notchy feeling. I did notice that the chain was a whole lot stiffer than the stock chain, so perhaps this is to blame. I have the tension pretty decent, as I know this seems to be pretty important for smooth shifting. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this after replacing the chain?
I recently replaced my chain with a DID O ring, new 15t front sprocket and new 50 rear. No notchiness at all. Quite the opposite, actually. Smooth as silk and much better when shifting. Double check and make sure the chain tension is correct.
threerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #222
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,606
[quote=turbonotch]i haven't owned a TW200 for a few years... but i wrote one of the first reviews on this site about 5 years ago because nobody seemed interested at the time. yet they raved about the Super Sherpa? bah.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=TW200

it was just too quirky of a bike NOT to try

/quote]

Thanks amigo, I read that a long time ago, and I will read it again, as if I need it more reasons to buy this great little explorer!!!

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #223
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpar1220
i have heard to much of this for it not to be true. my 07 has no throttle response.

shimming the needle, i get that... thats no problem. but drilling the slide? not so much.

help a brutha out, you wouldn't happen to have any pics of this would ya. i wanna do this, but i prolly should know exactly what i am drilling before i drill.

thanks in advance..
Three steps to a proper running TW200:

1. Shim the needle.

2. Change the main jet to a #130 or #132.5. I have a #130 in mine right now, and it works fine.

3. Remove the plug blocking access to the idle screw, then adjust it properly. Turn it all the way in (GENTLY seating it), then back out about 2 - 2 1/2 turns. May need some further tinkering.

IF you have dinked with the throttle adjustment screw, you'll have to dink with it again after making these changes, 'cause it'll be too fast.

There's a thread on tw200forum.com that explains in detail, with pictures. However, I made all the changes noted without removing the carb, I just loosened the screws, unhooked the throttle cables, and turned the whole thing sideways to work on it.

Order a float bowl gasket when you order your jets, as the one on the carb may be shot after you remove the bowl to change the main jet. You can get jets from boats.net for a reasonable price, and they carry the gaskets too... that's where I got my parts.
Solomoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #224
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Oddometer: 387
Okay, I'll reply to myself.

I posted details of my mod on tw200forum.com; my thread includes current part numbers:

http://tw200forum.com/forums/60249/ShowPost.aspx

The thread where the pictures are (much more useful once you actually have the parts) is here:

http://tw200forum.com/forums/36594/ShowPost.aspx

Note that the fellow who did the pictures subbed a Mikuni #130 jet, which isn't the same as a TK #130 jet... it's more like the TK #132.5 (or so I'm told). I recommend using the actual TK part, ordered using Yamaha's part numbers.

Have fun with it! It's a great bike.

Solomoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #225
dynamos2000
is boinking your mom

Oddometer: 1,560
I know I'm cool

From TW200