Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 05:08 AM   #2386
FootDoc
Gas it

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I ordered a 130 main jet off amazon for $5.00 (plus $10.00 shipping and handling!).
Those jets ARE hard to handle....

I did the pilot screw and needle shim, when I do the jet I will drill the slide a little.
Did anyone ever make a pumper carb kit for the TW?
I put one of those on a dr650 and it turned that bike into a monster.

Next is a better front tire.
I know 5.10 is the way to go but I have a 4.60 new shinko 244 from my TU250 dual sport experiment and might try that.

I made a big mistake yesterday, I had the day off and went for a ride on the TU250 instead of the TW.
Since it was cold and rainy, dirt riding the TW would have been much more fun...
The guru's on the "other tw200 forum" state the limiting factor in the TW motor is the small valves and stock cam, not the Carb. I have a 132.5 jet with a K&N Cone filter and FMF pipe (sea level) and it runs great.

Put on my mini turn signals and the cyclerack last night, Frog you were right, the cyclerack is awesome. My neighbor came by and Thought I modified an ATV rack to fit.

Thanks Parrothead.
FootDoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #2387
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,267
I am not saying I would put a bigger carb on the TW, just a pumper.
Going from a cv carb to a pumper gives you instant throttle response and much better lower rpm running.

On the dr650, you could throttle wheelie in 1st gear if you hit it just right with the cv carb, with the pumper carb, you could wheelie anytime in 1st or 2nd gear (and sometimes 3rd) with just a twist of the wrist.
It took the mellow dr650 and turned the engine into a 2 stroke monster, twist the throttle and the wheel came up or the back tire spun like mad at any rpm.

I bet the TW feels a bit sluggish because of the slow reacting CV carb...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootDoc View Post
The guru's on the "other tw200 forum" state the limiting factor in the TW motor is the small valves and stock cam, not the Carb. I have a 132.5 jet with a K&N Cone filter and FMF pipe (sea level) and it runs great.

Put on my mini turn signals and the cyclerack last night, Frog you were right, the cyclerack is awesome. My neighbor came by and Thought I modified an ATV rack to fit.

Thanks Parrothead.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #2388
FootDoc
Gas it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I am not saying I would put a bigger carb on the TW, just a pumper.
Going from a cv carb to a pumper gives you instant throttle response and much better lower rpm running.

On the dr650, you could throttle wheelie in 1st gear if you hit it just right with the cv carb, with the pumper carb, you could wheelie anytime in 1st or 2nd gear (and sometimes 3rd) with just a twist of the wrist.
It took the mellow dr650 and turned the engine into a 2 stroke monster, twist the throttle and the wheel came up or the back tire spun like mad at any rpm.

I bet the TW feels a bit sluggish because of the slow reacting CV carb...

Looks like carb swaps have been done in Japan.
http://japan.webike.co.uk/products/27432.html

Did a bit of searching and only found a conversion for the xt225.
http://www.enduco.com/Bike/tm33manual.pdf
Old 04-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #2389
Small's
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Wicked Tw carb!

I agree... I just bought an 07 tw about a month ago and have been riding a 98 for over a year and the 98 with the non cv carb feels like a monster compared to the cv carb on low end. The 07 runs good but there is no hit. On the 98 when you hit the throttle off the bottom it jumps. Ive thought about swapping the cabs before i get rid of the 98.
Small's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #2390
NJ-Brett
Brett

Do the swap, then say the 98 has a newer upgraded carb on it as a selling point!
Does the 98 carb have a pump, or is it just a regular slide carb?

I had an old xt250 that had the pump from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small's View Post
I agree... I just bought an 07 tw about a month ago and have been riding a 98 for over a year and the 98 with the non cv carb feels like a monster compared to the cv carb on low end. The 07 runs good but there is no hit. On the 98 when you hit the throttle off the bottom it jumps. Ive thought about swapping the cabs before i get rid of the 98.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #2391
FootDoc
Gas it

XT header, FMF pipe, cycle rack, and smaller signals.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #2392
Small's
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Wicked Hid

I think its just a slide carb but i will have to check. I put a bikemaster 6000k HID and a toggle switch on the low beam last week and i really like it. The high beam is way better than the stock bulb at night and i can kill the light if needed or just for starting.
Small's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #2393
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
I am not an authority,but, I remember reading about CV vs. pumper..............in the end the CV won out.......sorry,but you'll have to do some research.Durability comes to mind for the CV...not as "touchy"???.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #2394
NJ-Brett
Brett

I don't think so.
I think the cv carbs wear out faster, more moving parts, and the vacuum pulses can rattle the slide up and down causing wear if you run it at low rpms

Not that I ever wore a carb out on anything other then old Triumphs where they bolted the carbs directly to the motor.

The throttle response of a stock tw just plain sucks..
When my main jet arrives I will drill the slide to improve things some.

A pumper carb was like night and day on the dr650...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
I am not an authority,but, I remember reading about CV vs. pumper..............in the end the CV won out.......sorry,but you'll have to do some research.Durability comes to mind for the CV...not as "touchy"???.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #2395
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
XT header, FMF pipe, cycle rack, and smaller signals.

Hey Doc...what seat cushion you runnin?....looks cumfy.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #2396
FootDoc
Gas it

Frog, that's the airhawk pillion pad. I originally bought it for my Mean Streak, but my g/f hated it. I had it sitting in the garage collecting dust so I figured I'd just throw it on. It's much more comfortable than the stearns seat pad I have on the other TW. I get my balls busted regularly for the " Hemorrhoid cushion". It just feels too good to take off.
In an effort to get back my man card I put the maxxis back on.

FootDoc screwed with this post 04-26-2012 at 02:58 PM Reason: Plate viewable in pic
Old 04-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #2397
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
XT header, FMF pipe...

Did you notice any difference with the exhaust mods?
Old 04-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #2398
NJ-Brett
Brett

I got my 130 main jet today, and installed it, and drilled the slide hole a little bigger, plus, since I had the tank off, checked my valves.
I am at 550 miles, last time I checked them was at about 300.
No change at all.

I had changed the oil to rotella synthetic after the last ride, no metal on the screens, so life is good.

I went for a test ride around the block a few times, throttle response still seems poor, but the ignition knock type noise went away with the main jet upgrade.
I will need to go for a longer ride to give it a good test.

I had a line running from the intake manifold port running up under the gas tank and plugged.
I did not see a reason for it so just put a plug over the vacuum port and removed the line.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #2399
NJ-Brett
Brett

I forgot to say, the gasket (O ring type thing) on my float bowl needed attention.
i could see that the carb had been oozing gas a little, and since I had the carb apart, I removed the O ring and found a lot of crust under it.
I cleaned it out with a stiff brush and some wd40, along with the O ring, coated the O ring with hylomar and put it back in.
Seems to have fixed the oozing.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:42 AM   #2400
FootDoc
Gas it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Did you notice any difference with the exhaust mods?
The pipe when combined with a K&N open filter and a jet kit 132.5 (The setup on my other TW) Makes a noticeable increase in power.

The green bike seems quicker after the exhaust, Probably the placebo effect. I have the stock airbox and havent touched the carb. Pulled the plug and seems to be running a little lean but no popping or surging. Will try to drag race my 2 Dubs this weekend to see if the exhaust made a difference.