DingDangKid
The milk man.

Oddometer: 2,127
My brother spotted this in Elmira, NY. Interesting exhaust

Old 04-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #2402
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,209
I had my shinko 244 installed on the front rim today, 4.60 x 18 size, and it looks good. Cant wait to try it out this weekend, its supposed to rain so it should be fun.
I was surprised how wimpy the stock tire is, very thin and soft and flexible.
I thought it was a beefy tire as I was running 12 psi or so and slamming into roots on the trails and it did not seem like it was almost flat or anything, but its almost like a bicycle tire!
I had the 244 around, so thought I would give it a try, the stock front tire kind of sucks in sand.
A real knobby will be the next experiment I guess.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #2403
NJ-Brett
Brett

Well, the newer models got a front disk brake.
And with the stock gearing, I had no problem running 65 mph, and have since gone 3 teeth off the back sprocket which does not hurt in the dirt and makes the very limited street riding I do (to get to the dirt) much better.

It is different off road from other bikes I have had.
I can go quite fast over some rough stuff, but its a harsh ride.
I am not sure if its the hard seat, the big heavy 18 inch front wheel or a combo of both, but its not plush at high speed over rough stuff.
It does real well in sand and mud, and its easy to save when you get out of control being low and on the lighter side.
I don't have any hills around, but I think the TW goes right up them with ease.
One big positive thing I noticed is instead of dodging things like roots in the trail I just ignore them, that fat front tire rolls over stuff like that without denting the rim or getting a pinch flat.

I don't have an issue with the small tank as my riding is local and the TW can go at least 100 miles on a tank of gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoadToad View Post
I must admit to having wanted one of these since their inception in 1986 or 1987 (?). I test rode one back then and found it endearingly slow with the wimpiest front brake I had squeezed in a long time. So, I did not buy it.

I hate tubed tires and tiny fuel tanks and the TW has both. I got the test drive bike up to 55 mph back then. Of course that was the speed limit but I already had a Yamaha RX50 Midnight Special that would easily make 55 mph and more (especially if you drafted a large truck!). And yet I still want a TW.

Who knows. Perhaps one day I will just give in. It looks like a really fun bike. My son thinks I am loony.

The Toad
Old 04-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #2404
NJ-Brett
Brett

Its been kind of slow around the TW thread lately...

I spent the morning pushing the mower around the yard, then went for a ride on the TW.
The new Shinko 244 (golden boy, what a dumb name) 4.60 front tire did fantastic, better on the street, much better in the dirt (sand and mud).
I only did 35 miles, but hit some of the worst trails around, miles of big close spaced sandy whoops, real thick sand with tire ruts in it, and a swamp. Very tight trail, the mirrors were catching on stuff, and it led into a swamp, and I just had to go for it, no place to turn around and stopping was a bad idea, and the TW got me through it. To a turn around, so I had to go back through it, after I had churned it up.

It was great fun.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #2405
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
The TW200 is a great little motorcycle, and is highly underrated for both its "fun factor," and its abilities on both the trail and pavement.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #2406
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
8th Street Adventure Ride in Boise Foothills

NJ-Brett, maybe this will help speed up the thread a bit.

Here's a the first video of a ride 3 of us TW riders took this past week.

Here's a link to the full RR and video's I posted in Day Trippin.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785917

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #2407
NJ-Brett
Brett

Great video, looks like a great place to ride.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #2408
NJ-Brett
Brett

I forgot to mention, after today's ride I took the side cover off the motor to check if the cdi trigger (to set the timing) is adjustable, and its not.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #2409
NJ-Brett
Brett

Not sure about the pavement part, but in the mud and sand its tops, more so with a good front tire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
The TW200 is a great little motorcycle, and is highly underrated for both its "fun factor," and its abilities on both the trail and pavement.

Spud
Old 04-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #2410
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
For the gearing the little bugger has,the TW does quite well on the road!....I know,I know,it's not everyone's cup of tea....Dual sports well!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #2411
NJ-Brett
Brett

My take is its not very good on the street at all.
Most other dual sports are much nicer, and it does not compare to a 250 street bike.

The seat is hard, the tires are no good on the street, the brakes are marginal, the motor is screaming, and its not overly smooth or quiet.

It rules in the sand and mud, and on hills though.
Its legal to get to the dirt, good enough for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
For the gearing the little bugger has,the TW does quite well on the road!....I know,I know,it's not everyone's cup of tea....Dual sports well!.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #2412
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
My take is its not very good on the street at all.
Most other dual sports are much nicer, and it does not compare to a 250 street bike.

The seat is hard, the tires are no good on the street, the brakes are marginal, the motor is screaming, and its not overly smooth or quiet.

It rules in the sand and mud, and on hills though.
Its legal to get to the dirt, good enough for me!
The street tires are pretty nice, though. Getting a knee down isn't terribly hard. Wide open straights, not so fun.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #2413
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
I got a shipping notice of my new Clarke tank, so we tried to burn a whole tank of gas today. Had a ball, but didn't see anything more difficult than gravel forest roads.

Clarke tank should be here Wednesday, looking forward to seeing how it changes the look.
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #2414
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
The street tires are pretty nice, though. Getting a knee down isn't terribly hard. Wide open straights, not so fun.
Thanks for making my point, Assquatch. The TW200 isn't much fun if you're in a hurry, but it can be surprisingly fun on tight, twisty, mountain roads.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:34 AM   #2415
Mad Mac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Would a TW be a good choice for Latin America?

This question is for adventure riders that have traveled in Mexico and Central America. Would a TW be suitable? What are the traffic and roads like down there? How fast do they drive? Yamaha dealers? I'm considering a trip to Tegucigalpa, Honduras. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
2001 TW200. Ex-rides: 2002 BMW F 650 GS, 1998 Yamaha V-Max that I rode 67,000 miles in six years and had many adventures, 1979 Yamaha RD400F Daytona Special, Yamaha XT 500, 1969 Yamaha DT 175 Enduro that started it all and a Honda 90 and 110 ATV, an Indian Mini Buffalo (a 50cc Italjet) and a couple of other dirt bikes.
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote