Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #2626
Cat Daddy
Cob Artist

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie Rider View Post
Nice job...I should of done the same instead of black
I kind of got into a rut lately with building bikes with red frames. This color is actually called Hot Orange but it looks red to me. I'm doing everything in this color.

My wheels are a bit different than you did yours. I am hoping the black rims will make the tires look even fatter.

Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #2627
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerCompton View Post
I got my new chain and sprockets in. I will be putting them on tomorrow morning when it's cool out. It's already to hot and humid out to dick around in the garage.

Another question for those who have done LED turn signals. Do I need a new relay? If so, do you have a part number? I'm mounting up some panniers and the stock ones are to long.
If you are only changing the rear turn signals to LEDs, and retaining the incandescent bulbs in the front turn signals, you might be able to use the stock flasher relay. However, if you are converting all the turn signals to LEDs, you will probably need an electronic flasher relay. I bought an LF1-S-Flat relay from SuperBrightLEDs, and it has worked superbly for several years.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...2Fflashers.htm

You can also buy an LED flasher relay from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...+FLASHER+RELAY

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #2628
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
Spud,

One incandescent won't pull the stock bimetal flasher. If it flashes at all it will be several seconds between flashes.

The electronic versions will work in all scenarios, incandescent, l.e.d. or in combination.

I don't know what Superbrite gets for theirs but they can be purchased commonly from the local auto parts store if yer in a hurry to git'rdone.
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #2629
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizrdbrth View Post
Spud,

One incandescent won't pull the stock bimetal flasher. If it flashes at all it will be several seconds between flashes.

The electronic versions will work in all scenarios, incandescent, l.e.d. or in combination.

I don't know what Superbrite gets for theirs but they can be purchased commonly from the local auto parts store if yer in a hurry to git'rdone.
Thanks for providing the definitive answer, Lizrdbrth. The thermal flasher relay in my Zong would work with a single incandescent bulb, but I wasn't sure about the Yamaha flasher relay. Indeed, an electronic flasher relay from the local auto parts store might work. However, the electronic flasher relays don't work for all motorcycles. The LED flasher relays always work.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 07-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #2630
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Oddometer: 387
Definitive? I got one of those electronic flashers, but I can't replace all four bulbs, it still won't work. No flashy at all. I can replace one end or the other with LEDs (and I have) using the electronic flasher.
Solomoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #2631
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah View Post
Definitive? I got one of those electronic flashers, but I can't replace all four bulbs, it still won't work. No flashy at all. I can replace one end or the other with LEDs (and I have) using the electronic flasher.
As I said, the electronic flasher relays work for some bikes, but not others. The LED flasher relays always work.

However, there is another potential problem when installing four, LED turn signals on the TW200. The turn signal indicator light in the TW200 uses each side of the turn signal system as a ground for the other side. Therefore, if you are using LED turn signals, you must remove the turn signal indicator bulb for the LED turn signals to work. If you wish to retain the turn signal indicator bulb, you can install the Kuryakyn Diode Kit.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/719/Diode-Kit

If you wish, you can also make your own diode kit. Merely solder diodes into both the chocolate and dark green wires leading to the indicator bulb, and connect another wire to ground, as shown in the following diagram.

When I performed this modification on my Zongshen 200GY-2, I used 1N4004 diodes I purchased from Radio Shack.

You can purchase a 2-pack of these diodes for $1.19, or you can buy a 25-pack of mixed diodes for $2.99.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=2036270#
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...LAID=107592762

If you have an LED flasher relay installed, your LED turn signals will work as soon as you remove the turn signal indicator bulb. Removing the indicator bulb breaks the bleed over circuit to the turn signals on the opposite side. Therefore, removing the turn signal indicator bulb will allow you to use your LED turn signals. However, your turn signal indicator will not work with LED turn signals unless you solder the diodes into the wires as I described.

Spud
Old 07-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #2632
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
I never said my answer was definitive, Spud did.

Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #2633
DingDangKid
The milk man.

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
However, there is another potential problem when installing four, LED turn signals on the TW200.

So glad I read this right before I went out to the garage... I know it's not a hard fix but with my fat fingers those little wires get troublesome to work with.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #2634
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizrdbrth View Post
I never said my answer was definitive, Spud did.

Okay. I provided the definitive answer. I think.......

Spud
Old 07-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #2635
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie Rider View Post
Nice job...I should of done the same instead of black
Nah I think yours looks good with the black suspension, red rims. And his will look good with the red susp black rims..
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #2636
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post

Okay. I provided the definitive answer. I think.......

Spud
Indeed you did. I do, in fact, have an LED flasher unit. Bought it from the same company the bulbs came from. But nobody explained to me about the indicator bulb until now... and yes, I asked at the time.

Thanks!
Solomoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #2637
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Indeed you did. I do, in fact, have an LED flasher unit. Bought it from the same company the bulbs came from. But nobody explained to me about the indicator bulb until now... and yes, I asked at the time.

Thanks!
You're welcome.

Spud
Old 07-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #2638
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
My wheels are a bit different than you did yours. I am hoping the black rims will make the tires look even fatter.

Don't you know, black is "slimming"?

Nice work. I love flat black.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #2639
Cat Daddy
Cob Artist

Oddometer: 837
Got up early this morning and was in the shop by 4 working. Shame is, I had to turn the air conditioner on two hours before the sun came up. It's 104 outside right now.

Started the day off with this...

Assembled, bearings serviced, new seals, wheel trued, new tire and tube

Then rolled outside to get an overall look. Still a long way to go. I'm going to do a lot of work on the engine's appearance next.

Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #2640
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
Thumb Beauty and the beast

Looking great!

I love what a little paint can do.

A little paint, and a lot of work time that is!
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote