User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #3046
SkyToph
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Wicked Here's my T-Dub!

[IMG]file:///Users/tophermira/Desktop/551846_3137827572263_371046117_n.jpg[/IMG]Hey Folks,

New to this forum. I joined when my buddies XL was almost stolen here in New Orleans... and then I discovered the TW thread!

17 years ago I was 13 years old. I went into my buddies garage and saw his fathers TW for the first time. I knew that someday that bike would be mine! 17 years later, I offered to do some tree work for the bike! I got the bike after being garaged for almost 20 years, with only 400 miles on it! A dream for sure! This summer was my first time owning an on-off! I grew up riding a KX 125, and the dream of an on-off was always the highest goal... Street legal dirt bike!

I had some great adventures on it this summer! I will document more know that I know there is a forum!

Thanks for being here!!
SkyToph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #3047
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyToph View Post
[IMG]file:///Users/tophermira/Desktop/551846_3137827572263_371046117_n.jpg[/IMG]Hey Folks,

New to this forum. I joined when my buddies XL was almost stolen here in New Orleans... and then I discovered the TW thread!

17 years ago I was 13 years old. I went into my buddies garage and saw his fathers TW for the first time. I knew that someday that bike would be mine! 17 years later, I offered to do some tree work for the bike! I got the bike after being garaged for almost 20 years, with only 400 miles on it! A dream for sure! This summer was my first time owning an on-off! I grew up riding a KX 125, and the dream of an on-off was always the highest goal... Street legal dirt bike!

I had some great adventures on it this summer! I will document more know that I know there is a forum!

Thanks for being here!!
WELCOME!. There is also a TW200 specific Forum......TW200 discussion forum. Alot of "us" flip between forums!.
As you have already found out,the TW200 is an over-looked DS bike....to each their own I suppose!.....but WE are the lucky ones!.. On the TW200 discussion forum, there is a GREAT wealth of knowledge specifically for our TW's......go there,seek and find!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #3048
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
http://www.tw200forum.com/
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #3049
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizrdbrth View Post
It will still suck. It'll just suck in a slightly less life-threatening manner

Looking into swapping to the 130mm front drum using the backing plate from another Yamaha that we can get here in The States. Gotta love Yamaha. They gave the lowly TW125 the bigger 130 rear, and it can barely get out of its own way.

Looks like they did the same thing to the XT guys, if it's any consolation. Put the little brake on the street-legal bike and the big brake on its dirtbike sibling.

We've got twice the rubber on the ground, and some of us have way more than that....
so will the bigger drum bolt up or do you have to modify anything? my tw rear drum is pretty worn out and grooved so a bigger drum would be super!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #3050
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
so will the bigger drum bolt up or do you have to modify anything? my tw rear drum is pretty worn out and grooved so a bigger drum would be super!
It's major work, in a minor sort of way? It won't be a bolt-on and it will require scrapping a front rim for the drum and grinding on the swigarm brake locator tab.. I'm not sure most folks will be all that into it, but I happen to need it.

It's been done before, but using the TW125 backing plate, TW125's were never imported into this country. I'm looking at a few backing plates for the one which will require the least modification.

http://tw200forum.com/forums/86422/ShowPost.aspx#86422
Old 12-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #3051
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizrdbrth View Post

Thanks for clairifying that Lizrd!.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #3052
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Thanks for clairifying that Lizrd!.
yes thanks for the info!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #3053
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
yes thanks for the info!
NP. I'm blessed (cursed?) with a lot of spare TW parts. Once I get this worked out with U.S. parts I'll post a how-to. Let me destroy my own stuff figuring it out. lol.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #3054
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Hey Lizrdbrth, in that post on TW200 Forum the pics show some clearance needed
where the spokeheads impinge on the drum. Why can't you just drill out
each section where they touch? Since drums aren't waterproof, it shouldn't
make any difference and, in fact, I remember years ago that when a
Studebaker made a run on the salt flats they drilled the drums to increase
airflow which cooled the brakes thereby increasing the braking ability. I
was going to try it on an old Bronco, but used Chevy discs instead.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #3055
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
Hey Lizrdbrth, in that post on TW200 Forum the pics show some clearance needed
where the spokeheads impinge on the drum. Why can't you just drill out
each section where they touch? Since drums aren't waterproof, it shouldn't
make any difference and, in fact, I remember years ago that when a
Studebaker made a run on the salt flats they drilled the drums to increase
airflow which cooled the brakes thereby increasing the braking ability. I
was going to try it on an old Bronco, but used Chevy discs instead.
There again I have a slight advantage courtesy of my pile o' parts. I have a bare rear hub to use as a template. I don't plan on drilling all the way through, but I can use the spokeless hub as a template to mark the holes from the back side, then face off the offending areas with a drill bit just enough to clear the spoke heads. If it works out we can pass around my hub to those who want to do the same, or they can send me their brake drum.

Er sumpin'. I expect not more than a handful of us are gunna be into it.

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 01:47 PM
Old 12-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #3056
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Brain fart....what is the AGM(sealed battery) that Yuasa makes that will/can replace the OEM acid/lead battery?. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #3057
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Brain fart....what is the AGM(sealed battery) that Yuasa makes that will/can replace the OEM acid/lead battery?. Thanks.
The YTZ7S battery has the same, or better power than the stock battery. However, the YTZ7S is a little smaller, and lighter. I have received very good service from the MotoCross YTZ7S battery I installed in my Zong.

http://www.batterystuff.com/powerspo...ies/YTZ7S.html

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #3058
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
its a absorbed glass mat material which is supposed to be good stuff. i have a few of them in my kids quads and they are lasting a long time so far.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #3059
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:

There are a couple of "Sealed" batteries that fit. The YTZ7-S is factory sealed. The Yuasa branded battery of this model is about $120 MSRP. The one linked above at Battery Stuff seems decent at $84 if it truly is made in Japan.

Another option to consider is the TruGel from BikeMaster. They are also factory sealed, and at the dealer show they had one on a bench powering a running light and they drilled 5 different 3/8" holes in it and it kept working. Our shop sells the TruGel for $70.00. They also have a two year warranty versus the one year warranty of the Yuasa.

More food for thought... Both the Yuasa brand and Battery Stuff brand are 6 Amp Hour batteries, so their maximum charge rate is 1.8 amps. The OEM and the TruGel are both an 8 Amp Hour battery with a maximum charge rate of 2.4 amps. I've never been able to determine what charge rate the regulator on a TW puts out to charge a battery but the smaller battery has a max charge rate 30% less than OEM.

Sorry for nerding out but I've been dealing with batteries a lot lately so a lot of this knowledge was fresh in my mind.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #3060
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by GapRunr View Post
There are a couple of "Sealed" batteries that fit. The YTZ7-S is factory sealed. The Yuasa branded battery of this model is about $120 MSRP. The one linked above at Battery Stuff seems decent at $84 if it truly is made in Japan...
Motocross builds batteries for Yuasu in the United States of America. My Motocross battery is very well built, and has served me flawlessly for tens of thousands of miles. You might enjoy reading the information at the following link.

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/frequ...motocross.html

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote