AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
Don't forget the Shorai battery.....

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/tw200.html#electrical

Smaller, lighter, more power, and comes with the foam to take up the extra space in the battery box!!
Better then Shoria is Earth X. It has the balancing circuitry built right into the battery. No need for a special charger to balance the cells. I bought an Earth X. It really cranks and is feather light!

AK Greg

http://earthxmotorsports.com/
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500

AKoffroader screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 09:06 AM
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #3107
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoffroader View Post
Better then Shoria is Earth X. It has the balancing circuitry built right into the battery. No need for a special charger to balance the cells. I bought an Earth X. It really cranks and is feather light!

AK Greg

http://earthxmotorsports.com/
Thought I read somewhere that Shorai also had this type of circuit?.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #3108
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Thought I read somewhere that Shorai also had this type of circuit?.
You're correct. The Shorai batteries automatically balance the cell voltages. I have ridden over 30,000 miles with my Shorai LFX09A2-BS12 battery. I have never had to charge this battery, and it has always performed flawlessly.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #3109
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
I'm considering getting a TW200. In the past I was a motorcycle safety instructor in Illinois. One of the types of bikes we used was the TW200. They are great bikes in this usage because they handle very well. The figure 8 test can easily be done on a TW200.

I also own a Jeep Wrangler and a Honda 4x4 ATV. I'm interested in a lightweight dual sport motorcycle to supplement my Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 for commuting duties and also to use for recreational offroad riding. I'm thinking that when my wife comes with my son and I on an offroad ride I'll ride a dual sport while she rides my ATV and my son rides his ATV. The type of trail riding we do is pretty tame.

My main concern is how comfortable the TW200 will be for a 45 minute commute. I find many motorcycles to have seats that are uncomfortable to me. The problem is with me rather than the bikes seats. I just have a hard time staying comfortable on a bike for long periods. My street bikes have had Corbin seats and they have been much better than stock but still not totally comfortable to me. My ATV actually has a pretty comfortable seat in that my body is upright and my weight gets spread onto my thighs as opposed to my cruisers where the weight is on the rear. If the TW has an upright seating position with a decently padded seat I think it should be okay.

Keithert screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 07:16 PM
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #3110
Old White Truck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
My main concern is how comfortable the TW200 will be for a 45 minute commute. I find many motorcycles to have seats that are uncomfortable to me. The problem is with me rather than the bikes seats. I just have a hard time staying comfortable on a bike for long periods. My street bikes have had Corbin seats and they have been much better than stock but still not totally comfortable to me. My ATV actually has a pretty comfortable seat in that my body is upright and my weight gets spread onto my thighs as opposed to my cruisers where the weight is on the rear. If the TW has an upright seating position with a decently padded seat I think it should be okay.
Hi Keithert,

If you find the TW seat is not adequate for your 45 minute commute you have two easy upgrade options that other Tdubbers have had great success with:
- The Stearns / Coleman seat cover (~$15) ... http://www.cabelas.com/product/Colem...h-All+Products
- A new Seat Concepts cover and pad (~$160 and you install it). ...http://www.seatconcepts.com/products...roduct=9361194
Hopefully your commute will not require a lot of time above 50MPH?
Old White Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 AM   #3111
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Thanks for the reply. My commute can either be 2/3 expressway or I can take surface streets with a 2 mile stretch of 55 mph with the rest being slower. When taking the bike I'd take the back route. I would most likely add the Seat Concepts cover and pad. The Cabella pad is interesting. I usually find seat covers to be uncomfortable. But for $15 I'd give it a try.
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #3112
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Oddometer: 387
The pad isn't a Cabela, it's from Stearns. Wal-Mart has them, sometimes. It does help, but honestly, if I had the cash on hand I'd get the Seat Concepts seat. They'll put it on for you if you send them the pan, for a small extra fee.

I have two seats; I had one redone locally (mistake, but not a big one) and since I didn't want to be without a seat while I waited, I got one used off of eBay. So I have the original, mostly unmodified seat on the shelf. I'm sorely tempted to send it off...
Solomoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #3113
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Seat concepts is money well spent

And it's not that hard to install it yourself, especially if you can borrow a stapler.
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #3114
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
do you need your old tw brake drum? mine is worn pretty bad and looking for a replacement.
Can't help you out if you're in desperate immediate need of one. Could take awhile, depending on how this goes. I'm working it out on a spare hub and swingarm so my bikes stay up during the process.

Thought I'd illustrate the backing plate problem in hopes someone had one of the alternatives and could provide a pic. Here's how the stock backing plate engages the swingarm tab. The bottom of the slot is really close to the edge of the drum:

Here's an early XT350 backing plate. I knew it wouldn't fit just by looking at it, but since all the potential backing plates are for skinny-wheeled bikes I kinda expect to run into the same issues. The axle holes and brake shoe sizes are right but the bottom of the slot stands slot about 9/16" prouder than the stocker. The casting beneath it is hollow, so you can't deepen it and it's too bulky on the outside to clear the swingarm tab even after grinding:

If anyone out there has a TTR225 or 230 and could take a pic of the slot depth I'd be truly grateful.
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #3115
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizrdbrth View Post
Can't help you out if you're in desperate immediate need of one. Could take awhile, depending on how this goes. I'm working it out on a spare hub and swingarm so my bikes stay up during the process.

Thought I'd illustrate the backing plate problem in hopes someone had one of the alternatives and could provide a pic. Here's how the stock backing plate engages the swingarm tab. The bottom of the slot is really close to the edge of the drum:

Here's an early XT350 backing plate. I knew it wouldn't fit just by looking at it, but since all the potential backing plates are for skinny-wheeled bikes I kinda expect to run into the same issues. The axle holes and brake shoe sizes are right but the bottom of the slot stands slot about 9/16" prouder than the stocker. The casting beneath it is hollow, so you can't deepen it and it's too bulky on the outside to clear the swingarm tab even after grinding:

If anyone out there has a TTR225 or 230 and could take a pic of the slot depth I'd be truly grateful.
no worries, my drum is ok for now but looking for a replacement in the future. im watching how your brake upgrade is going and its looking great!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #3116
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Getting closer to finding the right backing plate. It's all process of elimination but by keeping it in the family we could end up with a near bolt-on.

Here again is the XT350 plate, which has the right axle hole diameter and carries the 130mm shoes but the slot height interferes with the inside of the swingarm:

Ronnydog sent me a comparison of the slot height of a stock TW backing plate vs. a TTR230 plate. We can work with the height of the TTR slot by slimming down the swingarm brake holding tab to match, but the axle hole is too small, requiring machining and installing a new bushing. Not a real biggy but why bother when there may be an even better option with a bit of digging:

Still have a few more family members to investigate. The SR250 plate is SUPPOSED to share our axle diameter but according to the internet that was also SUPPOSED to be true of the TTR. But if it is true and the slot height is shorter or at least the same as the TTR there will be less surgery involved.

I don't reckon anyone has an SR250 sitting around, either. So back to scrounging through brake shoe and axle part numbers.

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 06:22 PM
Old 01-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #3117
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

cheap rear brake upgrade for the tw200, on my tw650 i got a 5 dollar used brake arm off a 1975 yamaha dt250 which is about 1 inch longer for more leverage on the brakes. works great on my bike and stops a lot faster but now i overheat the shoes too quick lol! oh well might work out better on the tw200.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #3118
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

heres a pic on my bike, on my bike the wheel is flipped over so the brake is on the left side but i think it might work on the stock tw200.since it is the same wheel and everything.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #3119
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Tons of options for longer arms will probably follow. Mine is the alloy version from an XT600.

You gotta be careful with the length. The longer it is the more pedal travel it takes to operate it. There'a limit.:

Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #3120
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Lizrdbrth;20441063]Tons of options for longer arms will probably follow. Mine is the alloy version from an XT600.

You gotta be careful with the length. The longer it is the more pedal travel it takes to operate it. There'a limit.:

[/QUOTE
yea i found out about the limit thing on ratios with the brake pedal, i drilled and moved the pull socket closer to the pivot point and had great power but it didnt leave enough travel for my brake pedal. so i went back to the original location on my pedal. now experimenting with the other end. i think i will leave the dt250 arm back there but now got to upgrade the brake drum like you or something so my brakes dont overheat so quickly. do you have trouble with brake fade on the lighter tw? i figure im having a little more trouble because my bike weighs about 350lbs with tank empty so about 380 full of fuel.