Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,248
It's a Duro power grip, they come in a 26x8/14 for the fromt of a utv
JTucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #647
rm_hm
Logging Road Cruiser

Oddometer: 169
I hear some of those big rear tires can be a real PITA to get to seat on the bead after install.
N46 39.164 / W121 35.020
N47 19' 24.73" / W123 16' 23.73"
rm_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #648
tpar1220
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
I hear some of those big rear tires can be a real PITA to get to seat on the bead after install.
the duro is a huge pain till ya trim the bead slightly, after that it mounts normally. and the lower chain guard will have ta go. but ya only gotta bend it back and fourth a few times, and it snaps clean off.

There will only be two things left moving after WW3.
Cockroaches & KLRs.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:04 AM   #649
Dyno
TT's fake Noob

Oddometer: 1,608
Get yourself a 12" trailer rim, make and axle and you too can have a tubeless monster tire.....

Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:25 AM   #650
Rman237
Ride Rural Texas

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno
Get yourself a 12" trailer rim, make and axle and you too can have a tubeless monster tire.....

Whoa, what all is involved with that wheel mod? Looks pretty cool!!
Rman237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:28 AM   #651
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman237
Whoa, what all is involved with that wheel mod? Looks pretty cool!!

That is one trick TeeDub!!! I think we need the details!!!

Old 12-31-2009, 10:54 AM   #652
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker
It's a Duro power grip, they come in a 26x8/14 for the fromt of a utv
Got one comin, I plan to see how it will be on the ice studded to the max. It looks like I might have to trim the edge for clearance though.
natedog39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:08 PM   #653
Dyno
TT's fake Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
That is one trick TeeDub!!! I think we need the details!!!

Work in progress still. As it currently sits:
Stock motor, pipes, carb.

XT350 Clarke 4 gallon tank, Hybrid XT350 / TW seat.

Banshee rear shock, currently at 450 lbs / in spring, 600 lbs / in on the way. 2.25" x 9 " Eibach will work , or eibach sell them specifically for banshees in a few rates. Stock Banshee is around 350. Not enough.....
Using a stack of nylon split washers to limit travel on rear shock.
Travel is 8" in rear. Not sure until I get the rate sorted whether the Banshee shock is going to have enough rebound or not.

Bored the front triples out to 35mm and fitted a set of NX125 forks. 6.6" travel, stock spring rate seems a bit soft though. 1" Preload spacers aren't enough. Stock Front rim and drum brake with custom axle. Kenda Trakmaster 100/100/18 tire.

A set of ATV bars with about 2" of lift, + a 1" spacer. I'd go taller, but I'm out of room on all the cables currently. Considering lowering and shifting the pegs rearward slightly to find a better standing position. It's better though with taller bars. Pegs are the el Cheapo D2Moto / ebay deals.

After watching a Duro 14" tire rupture the bead before seating on a stock rim, I changed course. The 12" rim with a 5 bolt pattern is readily available nearly everywhere. I bored the center out slightly, built a rear axle for it and mounted it up. Tubeless and worth all the grief. The whole shebang weighs about 10 lbs more than a stock rear setup. The tire alone is 5 lbs heavier, and I suppose with a bit of work you could design a few pounds out of the axle assembly. But then again, it isn't a motocross bike. The tire is a Duro 25 x 8 x 12. You could find a 12" ATV tire a lot easier than a 14" if you were travelling, and in a real pinch, you could probably get home on a trailer tire.

Spent the afternoon playing in the snow. This thing is fun!
Old 12-31-2009, 08:20 PM   #654
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
I still think you should make one for me! Pm me the price!
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:24 PM   #655
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,661
Quote:

Really nice work!! Thanks for the details.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:58 AM   #656
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,326
Daytona Beach

The nice folks in Volusia County allow free beach driving during Dec and Jan each year. The rest of the time it's $25 for the year or $5 for a day pass. Most the sand is hard packed but there are some super soft sections. No worries for those fat tires. Nice afternoon of fun - I just wish I could ride all 27 miles or the entire length. It's cut up with "No car" sections. St.Augustine has some beach driving but I don't know about any others in FL beaches that allow cars. Never been to the outer banks but I think they have beach driving as well?

Old 01-01-2010, 04:13 AM   #657
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,203
Quote:
Stock motor, pipes, carb.

XT350 Clarke 4 gallon tank, Hybrid XT350 / TW seat.

Banshee rear shock, currently at 450 lbs / in spring, 600 lbs / in on the way. 2.25" x 9 " Eibach will work , or eibach sell them specifically for banshees in a few rates. Stock Banshee is around 350. Not enough.....
Using a stack of nylon split washers to limit travel on rear shock.
Travel is 8" in rear. Not sure until I get the rate sorted whether the Banshee shock is going to have enough rebound or not.

Bored the front triples out to 35mm and fitted a set of NX125 forks. 6.6" travel, stock spring rate seems a bit soft though. 1" Preload spacers aren't enough. Stock Front rim and drum brake with custom axle. Kenda Trakmaster 100/100/18 tire.

A set of ATV bars with about 2" of lift, + a 1" spacer. I'd go taller, but I'm out of room on all the cables currently. Considering lowering and shifting the pegs rearward slightly to find a better standing position. It's better though with taller bars. Pegs are the el Cheapo D2Moto / ebay deals.

After watching a Duro 14" tire rupture the bead before seating on a stock rim, I changed course. The 12" rim with a 5 bolt pattern is readily available nearly everywhere. I bored the center out slightly, built a rear axle for it and mounted it up. Tubeless and worth all the grief. The whole shebang weighs about 10 lbs more than a stock rear setup. The tire alone is 5 lbs heavier, and I suppose with a bit of work you could design a few pounds out of the axle assembly. But then again, it isn't a motocross bike. The tire is a Duro 25 x 8 x 12. You could find a 12" ATV tire a lot easier than a 14" if you were travelling, and in a real pinch, you could probably get home on a trailer tire.

Spent the afternoon playing in the snow. This thing is fun!
What's the deal with the tire difficulty? Any ideas why they are so hard to seat the beads. What pressure was the tire at that the bead failed? Now I'm a little nervous about mounting a Duro on my bike.
natedog39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:38 AM   #658
Dyno
TT's fake Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39
What's the deal with the tire difficulty? Any ideas why they are so hard to seat the beads. What pressure was the tire at that the bead failed? Now I'm a little nervous about mounting a Duro on my bike.
Lotsa info over on the TW200 forum. The deal appears to be that the profile of the safety bead (inner bump that keeps the bead on the rim at low to no pressure) is steeper on a motorcycle rim than it is on a car rim.

http://tw200forum.com/forums/81013/ShowPost.aspx

My tire was at 110 psi when the bead ruptured. It clearly says on the side not to exceed 35 psi when seating. Which is why I rigged an extension hose and aired it up in the middle of nowhere. Even with all the RuGlyde lube, seating the bead is a dicey proposition. Some people have had success trimming the bead with a razor. That seemed wrong to me. And I kept imaging myself in some really out of the way place like James Bay trying to figure out how to patch a tube and reseat the bead.......
Old 01-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #659
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Oddometer: 387
And it seems the ATV tire bead is a bit tighter than the standard TW tire bead. Most who are running an ATV tire on the rear seem to have trimmed the bead.

I'm envious of those tractor-like tires, but not enough to go through the hassle of mounting one.
Solomoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #660
goldenhtr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
ATV tire

Here is Dyno's post over on the TW site. It has to be one of the best and most informative posts there. especially with the trouble some are having the atv tire installed.

http://tw200forum.com/forums/83474/ShowPost.aspx

www.tw200forum.com
goldenhtr is offline   Reply With Quote